[Suggestion] Reducing Block ID's

• Ok, this might seem minor to most of you, but personally, i use a lot of mods. Since MCForge came out, the old problem of terrain/item sprite indices has gone, only to be replaced with another problem: No Avaliable Block ID's left!
    Soo...

Name: Reducing Block Id's OR Block ID minus :P

Description:
    I was messing around in my world, and found a few things that could lower Block ID usage in IC^2:
    - Use Damage values/Meta Data [obviously] to...
    - Merge Ore Block ID's with Ore Storage Block ID's [ie merge the ores and the blocks made from ore storage into one ID, and differentiate by meta-data]
    - Merge the Dynamite block sticks into 1 ID's?
    - Same as above ^ except with TNT types blocks? Or make:
    - Nukes 200*-0
    - ITNT 200*-1
    - Unmarked Dynamite 200*-2
    - Marked Dynamite 200*-3
    * (example only)

- Other blocks that could share the same ID using Damage values? [Ie I cant think of any more ways to compress Block Id's

And the logic to all this is:
    - All the generators share 1 Id, as do the Furnace-esque Machines. Why not the Ores?!?

- The terraformer shares the same main block id with the main machines [miners, etc] as well, as well as the machine and the Advanced machine block.

The main object of this post was to ask that the coders of IC^2 look into reducing Block ID usage

And when i say 'shares the same block ID', they're still differentiated by meta-data/damage values. And apparently a tile entity can use meta-data as well.

EDIT: Maybe find a way to specify damage values when furnacing stuff? I know when you specify a block as furnacable, it makes every block under that ID furnaceble into 1 item :( So when you do that [addFurnaceRecipe], there should be a way like for [new itemstack (oretin, quantity, meta-value).blockID]
    thats what i mean.

• afaik ore IDs cant be condensed because it would make them unfurnacable in the vanilla furnace.

And that was the reason for the edit down the bottom, put there before you posted. Please read the whole page at least before posting...
    Anyway, what about the other suggestions? Anyone got more? Anyone got arguments for/against the existing proposals?

• And that was the reason for the edit down the bottom, put there before you posted. Please read the whole page at least before posting...
    Anyway, what about the other suggestions? Anyone got more? Anyone got arguments for/against the existing proposals?

your proposal would probably mean basefile edits on MCForge level, no? (as far as changing furnace behaviour is involved). For other suggestions, I've not had massive problems so far with Block ID usage, so have no specific opinion on it either way, just trying to make sure you're pitching your ideas in the right place :).

• Official Post

ID's are already condonsed "max" according to:
    - All vanilla & mod mechanisms must be capable of handling the meta-block'ing for this block properly
    - MC vanilla code must not interfere with meta-data'd block stats (f.e. light and some other stuff)