A mod that justifies insane production?

• I'm new to mods. So far just IC exp, blood magic and Buildcraft. I liked pushing production and mining to a huge scale in vanilla, and it can be done so much better with IndustrialCraft and Buildcraft. But sometimes it feels like a dead end. Like I'd just be hoarding materials.

It would be very cool if there was a mod where there was an NPC war effort that needed me to arm them. Or maybe not that, but some ......sink hole lol that justifies/demands and REWARDS insane production. Any ideas for mods or servers like that?

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen Greg tech is like IndustrialCraft, but with a more difficult and time consuming tech tree? I've just now gotten to where I feel like I've mastered the IC tech tree (though I'm still a little confused about fluid nuclear reactors) I'm mostly hoping to use the cool production abilities for an end, rather than adopting a new production system.

• The Clay Soliders mod sounds super cool, and would be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, if instead of players' clay armies vs players' clay armies the soliders were being used to overcome some great combat obstacle. And clay is pretty expensive in a replicator, you'd really have to work it :)

• You have 4 decent approaches (from what I can see):

• Gregtech- Based off the IC2 concept you've mastered, but with an enourmous tech tree. I think this is your best IC2 related solution. Gregtech rewards the insane production of materials because the cost as you progress goes exponentially upward. You said you didn't want a new production system, but honestly I think you'd find it worth it.
    • Better Than Wolves- This is probably your second best option. The sad part is you will be stuck on 1.6.4, and you will have to forgo anything you've ever learned about mods and vanilla. It's essentially a standalone game that encourages insane production at a huge cost- a blend of TFC and Vanilla minecraft. Really awesome example of good game design.
    • Terrafirmacraft- The opposite direction of the vanilla-style mods, but TFC is really well balanced and the ENTIRE goal is to be efficient and productive or die. It's just really hard to get there. In fact, you may never will.
    • Your best option would probably be to add RotaryCraft. It isn't as game-changing as Gregtech, and it adds a whole new system of energy and such- but it adds some really nice expensive endgame things. It adds an insanely expensive fusion reactor multiblock, bedrock miners, as well as some other awesome things. No NPC type stuff (clay soldiers is a good idea, maybe also CustomNPCs if you're looking for that), but I think from an endgame goal standpoint, I'd suggest you install RotaryCraft and go for1 Fusion Reactor and Bedrock tools/armor. Remember to install ReactorCraft too (also by the same mod author on his website)
  • Thank you very much for that explanation. I'm glad to have that insight into those mods. There could easily come a point where I'm inclined to take on a new tech tree challenge, but for now what I really want is to apply the IC2 EX tech tree that I've greatly enjoyed.
    Actually I've heard here and there that some old versions of Clay Soliders supportred mob hostility. It might just be awesome to get my hands on that, and then add something like this "better dungeons" mod or similar boss fight progression things, then set myself the rule: I don't attack with awesome gear: Only the army that I've made an incredible production assembly to create and arm gets to fight. :)