Tier 2 Nuclear Reactor

• Hi, is it a idea to make a Tier 2 reactor? a reactor thats more efficient than the normal nuclear reactor? like its making the double of the output, but its harder to crawft mutch harder.

• The 5x5 version with heated fluid output is already the T2.

True but isn't there a loss in total EU when using the steam one rather than the normal one?

• True but isn't there a loss in total EU when using the steam one rather than the normal one?

That would sort of defeat the purpose of having it in the first place :)

Short answer: it will vary from pack to pack and setup to setup, but generally speaking and assuming just plain old IC2, you'll get at least 2x as much power going the steam route.

• Official Post

There's no way you can have a net power loss using it without perhaps having overly long fluid regulator pipes to move stuff. But at that point you're moving the coolant too far unnecessarily.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Actually the amount the heat reactor generates depends on what type of setup you're using. if you use a normal stirling setup, go kill yourself. If you use the steam setup, witch i think is the most widely spread, you'll get an efficient reactor. but if you are using the biogas setup, you'll get the most energy, but you do have to have a lot of chaff.

• Actually the amount the heat reactor generates depends on what type of setup you're using. if you use a normal stirling setup, go kill yourself. If you use the steam setup, witch i think is the most widely spread, you'll get an efficient reactor. but if you are using the biogas setup, you'll get the most energy, but you do have to have a lot of chaff.

First of all, this thread is a few months old so I doubt anyone expected further replies, but whatever. A fermenter used for biogas only needs 60 hu/t to work at full speed, hot coolant in a fluid heat exchanger produces 100 hu/t therefore about 40 hu/t goes to waste (unless I am mistaken and it speeds it up or something), so biogas is not such a good idea with reactors, for that I suggest Radioisotope Heat Generators filled with Pellets (when full it will make 64 hu/t, less waste) or semifluid heat generators that use some of the biogas you're making( about 120 mB for 1 full cycle which produces 200 mB, therefore leaving you with 80mB per cycle, which is still a 1:8 conversion ratio from biomass to biogas). That being said, when I asked the above about the loss/less power than with regular reactor, I meant using the most efficient method, that makes the most power overall, which is the steam one and it happens to be the coolest one as well. Btw, the "go kill yourself" part was neither funny, neither was it necessary.

• Official Post

A fermenter used for biogas only needs 60 hu/t to work at full speed, hot coolant in a fluid heat exchanger produces 100 hu/t therefore about 40 hu/t goes to waste

You're misinterpreting how hU works completely. If you have 32 EU/t from a Batbox going into a recycler using 1 EU/t you don't lose 31 EU/t, hU works exactly the same. The fluid heat exchanger simply doesn't use hot coolant for the time in that the fermenter doesn't use hU up because it's got some in it's internal buffer.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• You're misinterpreting how hU works completely. If you have 32 EU/t from a Batbox going into a recycler using 1 EU/t you don't lose 31 EU/t, hU works exactly the same. The fluid heat exchanger simply doesn't use hot coolant for the time in that the fermenter doesn't use hU up because it's got some in it's internal buffer.

I know that EU will just go in and overflow the buffer but stay there untill it's needed and used, I just didn't know how the hU transfer worked. I supposed a real-world like system would be used, where excess heat just goes to waste (vents off somehow) or speeds the process up. Either way thx for letting me know. Still, a reactor used just for biogas seems like overkill to me, but whatever.

• Official Post

Biogas can allow you to generate massive amounts of power from plants, without any of the pains that the steam setups can cause, as well as not having any non-renewable running costs (unless you have an iron farm that is). The returns relative to superheated steam setups aren't that much worse too.

I see this too much.

• Here's another LATE reply. you can maximize your EU output even more(185%) by using the advanced generators mod. it's areally cool mod, that has a bunch of fuels that it can accept, from IC2's biogas to railcraft coke in a syngas producer to minechem's cellulose(what is that mod?). And the cool part comes alive is in the gas turbine generator where IC2's biogas can go in, with other fuels as well, and if you use a gas mix compressor and a fuel/air mixer, you'll get 185% efficiency. You can learn more about the mod here. So if you have the mod, you get an astonishing amount of EU for the least amount of Hu.