Reactor Coolant Ports

• Hello. I apologize if there is already a topic addressing this question, I went back a few pages and skimmed to see if any topics concerning cooling answered my question, but, not one that I felt answered my question specifically enough.
    So I read that the reactor fluid port puts coolant in and takes hot coolant out. But, I'm not understanding how.
    - How is the coolant put into the reactor?
    I have coolant cells inside my reactor, and a thermal expansion fluiduct pumping coolant to the reactor coolant port. This does not seem to refill the coolant cell. (its a 10k cell btw, I'm just experimenting). I tried putting coolant in a bucket, lol, that doesn't work. I cant seem to figure out how to put coolant in a reactor through this port...
    can I pump the liquid straight into the reactor? or no? I know what Im doing with all other mods and Im certain theres nothing wrong on those ends. Its simply figuring out how to put coolant in.
    perhaps I'm thinking this is more useful than it actually is, and its just a port for taking in cells and not liquid :(
    Also a side question- Why are there 4 sqaure spaces outside the normal 9x6 square grid in a nuclear reactor? they seem odd (im on an experimental version btw), and I was just wondering if perhaps they served any purpose, or are simply a bug.

ok So A quick update. I have discovered that reactors have fluid tanks inside them. At this point I should clarify that Im using an experimental version. See when I open the reactor gui, this is what I see http://imgur.com/N9wdiwl.
    Then after a bit of digging I found that this is probably what I should be seeing http://prntscr.com/4pu6x2
    Could anyone explain why Im seeing something different? Like did experimental break reactor fluids? Or do I need gregtech to use this option?
    http://i.imgur.com/ZEcLL4k.png ....
    Thanks for your time and consideration.
    -tntdigger101

• Official Post

Based from the shoutbox chat, it's because you've not built your 5x5 structure right.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• This was my conclusion yes. Though Im not entirely sure how its wrong.. I have the whole 6 chambers, the 5x5 of reinforced stone (or whatever its called :P ), I have a pressure hatch, a redstone port, and 2 reactor fluid ports. I know there is a page talking about 5x5, but really its a bunch of people talking about all the other new things in it :/ , so Im wondering if someone could show me their reactor 5x5 setup correctly (aka has fluid tanks), Like perhaps Im suppose to have the different things on certain sides. Also How do I draw EU from my reactor in a 5x5 shell? None of the wires seem to connect to any of the shell parts..
    Thanks

• Official Post

You have your 6 chamber reactor in the middle, then Reactor Pressure Vessel blocks in a 5x5x5 cube around it, leaving the 20 air blocks between the shell and the reactor. Providing you don't have the hatches+ports on any of the edges of the 5x5 face it should form fine.

Instead of EU, it takes coolant and produces hot coolant. The hot coolant is where you get the power from, using stirling generators, steam, superheated steam or biogas.

• Official Post

There will be 20 empty blocks in the 5x5x5 casing with the reactor inside. And since I got the multiblock template working on the FTB wiki, you can see layer by layer: http://ftb.gamepedia.com/User:…iblock/Test#5x5x5_Reactor

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Oh. Its suppose to be hollow. Well then, thank you greatly, I really appreciate all your feedback. This was not something made obvious by screenshots or most guides. Perhaps now I can finally get my reactors going correctly.

• I got it going finally with liquids in my survival setup. Blew up 5 minutes later while I was doing other things. Absoluetly no idea why. Lol. only blew up my entire base xD
    forget that crap. Im sticking with eu Reactors :P
    But at least I now know how to finally setup liquid reactors. Thanks again.