If anyone is interested in trying this out, I would appreciate any feedback people have on it.
Here are some key elements:
- Ore gen is completely unique, has some ores near bedrock and uses Railcraft cloud ore gen. Poor ores can be processed into normal ores.
- Water is finite in non 'wet' biomes. Oceans and rivers and lake biomes will work as normal, tiny pools, ponds, etc. will be finite. promotes water resource management without being ridiculous (draining half an ocean to cool machines...)
- Goal is to change every mod to use IC2 based recipes. So far have EIO, parts of forestry, Immersive Engineering all use IC2 recipes. This cuts down on clutter in chests, less crafting, and promotes automation. If every mod needs IC2 circuits, you have a reason to automate production of them.
- Alternative recipes that reward you for automation. IC2 circuits can be made in a forestry carpenter and the recipe requires less resources than using a crafting table.
- Semi hard mode. Armor much more expensive, high end armor is extremely expensive. Torches more than 20 blocks from the player have a small chance to burn out. (pushes players to use Luminators or get glowstone for reliable lighting).
- Infinite sources of resources or power made harder to get. Promotes managing resources and no 'set it and forget it' resource gatherers. (Example: the IE windmill runs forever, so now requires iridium in the Kinetic generator, but also provides more power. Balances it to the IC2 windmills)
- Railcraft buffed, rails cheaper, tunnel bore cheaper and faster.
- Hand tools cheaper. Diamond pick only requires 2 diamonds.
- Iridium much harder to make.
- Jetpacks require a lot more energy, (energy sink) and each pack now functions differently. One has armor but is slow and has very little flight time, another will fly longer but has no armor. Another is cheap to run and make, has creative flight, but has zero battery storage. Gives players a way to use flight to build their base (when coupled with EIO wireless charger) but still makes flight out in the world challenging.
The overall goal is to balance the game so players arent in Godmode within a few days of starting world, and to add lots of recipes to give players choices for production. IC2 rubber can be made using forestry machines, wood pulp, lapis dust, and seed oil. It requires more energy and investment than IC2 trees, but it means each player has a choice on how they want to progress. Long term goal is to use modtweaker and EIO and IC2's recipe systems to add more content to the game without adding more mods. Have 5 ways to produce ethanol, instead of adding 5 mods each with their own biofuel, etc etc.
Would love any feedback, figured this was a good place to find IC2 fans.