Posts by zorn

It would be great to add alternative fluids to the ore washer, ones that are harder to make, but give you an extra bonus dust.

Also, one thing games use these days is random bonuses because a random output is more exciting than the same thing every time. Maybe if the ore processing machines at rare times gave you a rare bonus dust or tiny/small dust.

This combined with the alternative fluids would be interesting IMO. Run your ore washer with distilled water (or IC2 coolant) and you get an extra small bonus dust of the usual type, but 5% of the time it extracts a tiny bit of uranium, or a fragment of diamond, etc.

To me, it is fun to have choices. Invest in making large amounts of this fluid and get more output vs just using easy to acquire water, save on the investment of time and resources to get the second fluid, but have a little less output in ore processing. Its what makes Tinkers Construct so popular, you have a zillion choices on how to progress. Why not offer alternative paths to process ores?

I understand that the centrifuge gives some materials that you cant get otherwise (silver ore is not in default IC2, but needed to make glass cables, etc.) but in a modpack where it isnt necessary to get those materials that way, the balance of the three ore processing machines pushes players to *not* make the additional machines.

MAcerator: cheap to make, cheap to run, EASY to run, doubles ores.

Ore Washer: cheap to make and run, a bit more involved to run (water) and gives a few tiny dusts, which require auto crafting to make into full dusts. Overall maybe a 1.2x ore bonus?

Thermal Centrifuge: expensive to make and run, also just gives a few bonus dusts.

I am playing Enignatica 2 expert pack and the only reason to make the washer and centifuge is because I love IC2. Other than that, no player will go beyond the Macerator. Its a lot of work for just a bit more resources.

Suggestion would be to make the macerator give the smallest boost to ore processing, the washer a bit more, and finally the centrifuge the biggest boost. Unfortunately, if the macerator were downgraded, people would be annoyed with IC2 even more, and to just boost the washer and centifuge means, for purist IC2 players, ore production that is too OP. Personally id love if the macerator gave out 1 large dust and a few tiny, and then the ore washer did the same, and the centifuge actually doubled ores, or something like that. But again, i realize that most players wouldnt like that idea.

Just an update: Steves carts (my god I hate the default recipes...), Simply jetpacks, Immersive Engineering, MPS and EIO all converted to IC2 recipes. (MPS has very tough recipes)

lots of optional recipes added too. Make IC2 casings, wire, circuits, clay, rubber in a forestry carpenter for reduced cost. Since most of the mods use these components, its worth it to automate production of them. Centrifuge recipe added to turn Poor ores into normal ones. Use Uranium and sulfur to make EIO fuels in the vat, use IC2 distilled water in EIO vat fuels for more efficient output.

So far 709 lines in minetweaker. If anyone here is playing this, would love any feedback.

Oh also, ore doubling is harder in this pack. The macerator only gives 1 dust, but the ore washer and thermal centrifuge give more bonus dusts. EIO sagmill requires a ton of power but does double ores, and the IE crusher runs very slow. Again the idea is that each player can progress how they want. EIO ore doubling is cheap to set up, but harsh to run it. IC2 isnt the best output but is fairly easy to set up and cheap to run. IE is very expensive to run (slow cycle time means you will likely need more than one crusher).

If anyone is interested in trying this out, I would appreciate any feedback people have on it.

https://minecraft.curseforge.c…jects/balance-and-choices

Here are some key elements:

• Ore gen is completely unique, has some ores near bedrock and uses Railcraft cloud ore gen. Poor ores can be processed into normal ores.
    • Water is finite in non 'wet' biomes. Oceans and rivers and lake biomes will work as normal, tiny pools, ponds, etc. will be finite. promotes water resource management without being ridiculous (draining half an ocean to cool machines...)
    • Goal is to change every mod to use IC2 based recipes. So far have EIO, parts of forestry, Immersive Engineering all use IC2 recipes. This cuts down on clutter in chests, less crafting, and promotes automation. If every mod needs IC2 circuits, you have a reason to automate production of them.
    • Alternative recipes that reward you for automation. IC2 circuits can be made in a forestry carpenter and the recipe requires less resources than using a crafting table.
    • Semi hard mode. Armor much more expensive, high end armor is extremely expensive. Torches more than 20 blocks from the player have a small chance to burn out. (pushes players to use Luminators or get glowstone for reliable lighting).
    • Infinite sources of resources or power made harder to get. Promotes managing resources and no 'set it and forget it' resource gatherers. (Example: the IE windmill runs forever, so now requires iridium in the Kinetic generator, but also provides more power. Balances it to the IC2 windmills)
    • Railcraft buffed, rails cheaper, tunnel bore cheaper and faster.
    • Hand tools cheaper. Diamond pick only requires 2 diamonds.
    • Iridium much harder to make.
    • Jetpacks require a lot more energy, (energy sink) and each pack now functions differently. One has armor but is slow and has very little flight time, another will fly longer but has no armor. Another is cheap to run and make, has creative flight, but has zero battery storage. Gives players a way to use flight to build their base (when coupled with EIO wireless charger) but still makes flight out in the world challenging.

The overall goal is to balance the game so players arent in Godmode within a few days of starting world, and to add lots of recipes to give players choices for production. IC2 rubber can be made using forestry machines, wood pulp, lapis dust, and seed oil. It requires more energy and investment than IC2 trees, but it means each player has a choice on how they want to progress. Long term goal is to use modtweaker and EIO and IC2's recipe systems to add more content to the game without adding more mods. Have 5 ways to produce ethanol, instead of adding 5 mods each with their own biofuel, etc etc.

Would love any feedback, figured this was a good place to find IC2 fans. :)

yeah I noticed it after I posted, i r dumb. :) I should have looked through it fully before replying again, and bugging you. Thanks again!

Has anyone set up custom recipes for ic2? In the config it says to use the INI file, and I think somewhere someone said it is in the main jar file?

What i would like to do is make custom recipes for ic2 machines, or even better, change machine recipes like using the thermal centrifuge to process other mod's items into new resources. But even the recipes of the machines themselves would help. Has anyone done this, or are there instructions somewhere that I am too dense to find?

Thanks for answering, for now ill minetweak in a tougher rotor recipe to balance them out with solar panels. Personally I like things that break down. Redpower windmills compared to Immersive Engineering Windmills... ill take redpower, more interesting to not have something that runs infinitely. Passive generation should be very expensive, like how ic2 makes solar very costly.

A few months ago I made some ic2 windmills, and they mysteriously went from X damage to 100% again. I read somewhere that it was a bug, and was being looked into.

Did it ever get fixed? Id test it in a world but I thought the last time that I used them they woudl appear to work correctly for quite awhile, and then randomly revert to 100% again.

I tried this a few months ago using buildcraft gates without any luck. I also tried using Ender IO pipes and setting them to pay attention to Metadata... still no luck.

I tried putting a hopper under the MFE and having the MFE only emit a redstone pulse when it was empty, then using a NOT gate to reverse the signal so that it would emit a redstone signal at all times until it emptied out, which would turn the hopper on and suck otu the crystal... can't remember the issue but that didnt work either.

What I am trying to do is fill up crystals that are hooked to a railcraft boiler and turbine, then have a cart pick up the full crystals and drop off empty ones to be refilled. But I can't get the crystals to stay in the MFE until full, then get sucked out.

Any suggestions?

I see how to add item recipes in the ic2.ini, but not sure about adding machine processing recipes.

What i would like to do is make it so if you centrifuge a dust, it gives you a rarer metal output, OR have it output another full dust. The centrifuge takes up so much power, but gives you very little return for the investment. If it doubled the output again, it would be worth the cost to run it. Or if you could output a tiny dust of some other metal that is hard to get, like a nugget of tungsten or something from bluepower, and then remove the ores from world gen.

What I would like to do is make IC2 have a material similar to GTs Chrome, so you can have a high end material that is hard to get and you cannot get it from mining.

Could you make a recipe for the centrifuge where it would take 16 redstone dust and output a nugget of tungsten from bluepower, using minetweaker/modtweaker? Or something like that?

It was disabled the same reason the EU-Reader broke, cables didn't report how much EU was going through them very well, causing melting to happen a lot, which annoying people. It wasn't to appease RF people at all, because we'd have gone to RF if that was what was intended.

As for turning it on, it enables cable loss, but not melting or explosions.

That makes sense. Glad it wasnt to try and appears RF fans. I miss explosions :(

Does it work like the original energy net, or like everyone heard it woudl work, when IC2 exp came out? The rumor was that you could only put 32 eu/t through a wire, NOT just 32 eu pack sizes. So that meant 3 generators on a copper wire (actually back then wasnt it 10 eu for copper?) before it blew up.

Was the system disabled by default to be more like RF? Because unfortunately I think it annoyed both sides. Purists like me miss the old power system, and RF fans stay away from ic2 anyway because 'too complicated!'. (sigh)

Anyway, can anyone tell me how the system works if I enable it in the config, before I turn it on and blow up my base? :)

Also the config says 'make sure you know what you are doing'. this warning makes it sound like its unstable, and 'knowing what you are doing' is some programmer/developer level comment. Does it really mean that, or does it just mean that people should know how ic2 power works/worked before enabling, so their stuff doesnt blow up? (Basically, will enabling it corrupt my world or something?)

That doesn't really apply. That law is about things like having 8 people build a car, and adding more people to make the car faster. At some point, adding more people just makes things worse. put 1000 people on an assembly line building one car, and eventually you will be getting less output per person.

This is much more basic economics. If eu is considered the currency, then I have $48 to 'spend'. I can run a thermal centrifuge and get a few extra tiny dusts per ore. OR run a second quarry with it, doubling my ore income. The energy cost for the centrifuge isnt worth it. Only solution is to make quarries require a lot more energy.

It just seems silly that 2 eu/t will net you 100% production increase, but 48 eu/t only gets you 20% or something?

In Gregtech a high end machine like that will get you a specific, rare metal. So you would be willing to invest the 48 eu/t because the by product is something you need, like titanium from bauxite or whatever.

So other than making macerator require more energy, ideally the centrifuge would spit out tiny dusts of some metal that you cannot get from mining, that is used in high end Ic2 machines like the fabricator or something.

If the recipes can be customized, that could work. :)

It's designed so the higher tier machines use more power, which is just down to logic. The macerator has used 2 EU/t since it was added too, it does have issues over the fact the ore washing plant and thermal centrifuge especially don't output enough/take too much power for what they do output. Maybe only outputing 1 crushed ore is too harsh, taking the GT approach of the crushed ore outputting 15 nuggets perhaps, to have 1.5x ore doubling, then increasing the output again with the ore washing plant and thermal centrifuge would work.

I don't like that idea, the macerator is an electric machine, turning it into a slightly better furnace is detracting from it's usefulness and realism.

I realize just one dust is harsh, but it makes more sense with respect to balance. I didnt think of just outputting tiny dusts though. Actaully doesnt the ic2.ini have its own 'minetweaker' options?

So if you had a smelted crushed ore only output say, 6 tiny dusts, thats 12 tiny dusts out of the macerator, or about 133% ore production vs straight smelting. Purified ores could do the same thing, but then can you minetweaker or use the ic2.ini to make the centifuge output two normal dusts, plus the extras? That would really make the power and cost of the centifuge worth it.

The annoying thing about tiny dusts is crafting them back into normal dusts. :)

With ore processing, you pay 2 eu/t for macerating, but 48 for the Centrifuge. I am working (slowly) on a custom pack that makes energy much harder to get, but the high cost of the centrifuge kind of throws off balance.

If you are handing mining I guess you owuld want to maximize every ore. But, if you are hand mining but allowing automated ways to get power (tree farms, solar panels, etc.) then you end up with a lot more power than you need, because you dont have a lot of items to process.

If you use quarries, you now need a lot more power (for the quarry, and more power to process all the stuff). This makes the centrifuge require more power, simply because it is processing more ores.

the thing is, once you move to automated mining, the energy cost of a centrifuge isn't worth the extra tiny dust. 48 eu/t is 192 rf/t which is pretty good speed on a quarry. I would think it would be more efficient to just make another quarry and use that energy to dig more ores up, than it is to get extra tiny dusts.

Any ideas on solutions for this? You cant set power consumption per machine in the ic2.ini, so the only thing i could think of was to change the macerator to only put out one crushed ore. No boost in production, but a necessary step to get more production out of ores. Then again, it almost makes ore processing not worth the time, other than to set up machines.

I kind of wish the macerator put out just an extra tiny dust or two, but only ONE crushed ore, and then the centrifuge doubled each purified ore into two real dusts. this would make getting the most expensive and powerful machine really worth the investment. A macerator is super cheap and requires no power, so it just gives you a couple extra tiny dusts.

There is no way to change the macerator to put out tiny dusts, but is it possible with minetweaker to have it only put out crushed ores, and then have the centrifuge do the doubling?