BUG: Cables not transferring power far enough.

• |i have built a solar flower a la this design, with space to walk underneath it. The problem is, if i put wires away from the stem, they do not conduct energy. There is nothing wrong with the flower, because it will power a furnace directly attached to the stem, but it will not power anything attached to cables branching away from it. This also seems to affect any sort of energy generating device, as it also affects a wind farm i constructed, making it useless.

This is on IC2 v1.15 on Minecraft 1.8.1

This is, IMHO a very serious bug, and renders the mod completely non-functional for any type of power grid design.

• Whilst that has indeed fixed the problem, it seems rather redundant, as i have a large (12 unit) batbox array about 10 blocks away from the solar flower :s

Also, if it's not a bug (or indeed is a bug, but hasn't been fixed), It might be an idea to post the fix/workaround on the wiki, as i saw no reference on the wiki to this problem (or indeed a bug report or any reference to this limitation anywhere on the forums)

• it isn't a bug: all cables suffer distance-related energy losses (wiki).
    Copper cables, for example, lose 1 EU every 5 blocks, so this means that if your wire is 4 blocks long it does not lose any energy (energy loss is 0.8 rounded down to 0). Energy loss is not based on the total amount of energy moving through the cable: a solar panel can output max 1 EU/t during the day, if you build a five blocks long copper cable and you connect at the end of it 4 solar panels (on the three free sides and on top of the last piece of cable) you are not generating 3 EU/t (4 EU/t - 1EU/t) but 0 (1EU/t - 1EU/t + 1EU/t - 1EU/t + 1EU/t - 1EU/t + 1EU/t - 1EU/t). Energy loss is based on the "size" of each packets, not the sum of them (so you can theoretically send 300 EU/t through a copper cable if every packet is smaller than 32EU). What the batbox is doing in your system is storing energy, preventing any energy loss and sending packets of 32EU/t (so after 5 block through a copper cable you still have 31 EU/t)

I apologize for my English.

• Official Post

Or use tin cables. They're specificially meant for low-voltage over distance. They can transfer 1, 2 or 3 EUt packets along 40 blocks without any losses.

• Or use tin cables. They're specificially meant for low-voltage over distance. They can transfer 1, 2 or 3 EUt packets along 40 blocks without any losses.

I would love a very low voltage transformer xD.

• Ah, i see... So it's les of a bug and more of a fail on my part then. Fair enough.

You can close this thread if you wish.