Support Request: Problem with Windmill- and Solar-Collector-related lag

• Have only tested in SSP v8.00 and v8.10.

Using 4 Windmills and 5 Solar Collectors was enough to cripple the most powerful computer in my household - a quadcore 3GHz computer. The problem isn't with the memory, however.

Before (MC 1.6.6, IC v7.20), this computer was running with around 250 fps with maximum quality, with 4 Windmills, 5 Solar Collectors, and 4 Watermills. Luckily, I was in the middle of moving stuff around when MC and IC updated, so all my stuff was in my inventory. I set up the 4 Windmills and a 5-Solar Flower, and, when the day came, the fps plummetted to 0. I switched to as little quality as I could, and I still got 0 fps. In fact, I would even bet, despite the fact that MC only shows integer fps, that it would have been .25 or .125 fps. It was really lagging.

And this is while Memory was only around 11% of the default 1 GB.

I didn't know whether to put this as a bug or in support, however, since I had no error log, it's going in Support.

• I may or may not be having the same issue, loading up my old world makes my computer want to die. I was getting great fps, now 0. It isn't instant either. It is actually fastest during the initial loading stages, then it gets to something in the distance (likely my water towers or solar farm) and dies.

• Official Post

I haven't had any issues with my Wind-tower dropping my FPS as of yet, and it's running approx 45 windmills atm.

A quick question though, what's your render distance set to? I noted that you said you toggled the quality (assuming Fancy to Fast), but didn't see anything about your fog. Minecraft has issues with it's Far render distance on it's own (creating a recursive Memory loop that eventually crashes the game), and I'm betting IC's added CPU usage (and the like) isn't helping.

Try setting your fog high (Normal or Below) and see if that helps.

• after playing around a bit with it it seems that the render distance can give me a few additional fractions of a fps but nothing above 1 let alone playable. According to the taskmanager 600M memory usage and cpu maxed out.

• Have you tried windmills/solars separately?

On my (much worse) laptop, single-core 1.7GHz, I was lagging out with only two windmills.

I haven't had any issues with my Wind-tower dropping my FPS as of yet, and it's running approx 45 windmills atm.

A quick question though, what's your render distance set to? I noted that you said you toggled the quality (assuming Fancy to Fast), but didn't see anything about your fog. Minecraft has issues with it's Far render distance on it's own (creating a recursive Memory loop that eventually crashes the game), and I'm betting IC's added CPU usage (and the like) isn't helping.

Try setting your fog high (Normal or Below) and see if that helps.

By "Maximum quality" I meant Fancy, Far, Smooth lighting, Camera bob, Advanced OpenGL, the works. By "minimum quality" I meant Fast, Tiny, Rough lighting, no camera bob, Basic OpenGL, etc.

It probably wasn't a bright idea to be adding on extra stuff like more windmills or solar collectors after finding it was lagging out my laptop...

I may or may not be having the same issue, loading up my old world makes my computer want to die. I was getting great fps, now 0. It isn't instant either. It is actually fastest during the initial loading stages, then it gets to something in the distance (likely my water towers or solar farm) and dies.

Oh, speaking of which, both desktop and laptop are still play-ably fast when loading a world, but it slows to a crawl fairly quickly. And I've always been close to my stuff - it's among the first few chunks loaded.