Emergency shutdown of overheated reactor

• I got idea how to stop overheated reactor. Basic idea is that overheated reactor begin to spawn fire on flamable blocks. So it destroy wooden block. this way it can make hole in bottom of reactor chamber so water began to leak. This water destroy redstone torch which interupt signal to NOT gate which send dignal into reactor so it stop. More in image:

• I got idea how to stop overheated reactor. Basic idea is that overheated reactor begin to spawn fire on flamable blocks. So it destroy wooden block. this way it can make hole in bottom of reactor chamber so water began to leak. This water destroy redstone torch which interupt signal to NOT gate which send dignal into reactor so it stop. More in image:

Nice emergency stop mechanism, very useful for forgetful people like me.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Unless the fire appears on the wood blocks that are under the reinforced glass, the water will just put the fires out on the blocks right under the reactor. Even so, that's not going to help with letting water fall down and kill the redstone torch.

• It actually does work, I modified the design a bit and tested it myself on a test world. I've tried to overload a reactor 4 times so far, its always shut it off right before it hits meltdown.

It might not work every time, and if you have enough uranium in it to set it to overload before the water hits the redstone torch your still screwed, but, it works.
    A not gate with a trench cut underneath for water to flow into is what you need, when the reactor goes into overload it will disintegrate one or 2 pieces of the wood floor, if you have a spot cut out to collect the water it will destroy the second torch every time.

Its not overly useful for me as if im running a reactor that hot, its a breeder, and im babysitting it already.

nevertheless, it does seem to work.. If your the kind of guy that runs a mark 3+ long(ish) term, and forgets to turn it off.. this might help you.

Im having difficulties uploading the photos.

• of course it is little slow. it won't stop reactor which go from 50% to 85% in few seconds. but rougly it stop reactor in 10-20 seconds. so it should be capable stop even Mark-IV reactors. if reactors overheat after 1000 seconds it hits 50% at 588 second mark. so it have over 400 seconds to stop before meltdown.

• Surely, just having a trail of redstone, with a redstone torch at the end, on top of wooden planks, placed over the top of the reactor would work? Obviously it needs to be hooked up to an inverter before connecting to the reactor, but as soon as the wooden planks burn, the restone torch proviging the signal is disconnected, making the inverter power the reactor, shutting it off.

Sure, you'll lose a lump or two of redstone into your reactor coolant pool (if there's coolant still there by then), but it's better than a crater in your map where a reactor used to be.

• yes it should work. but don't forget that if block catch on fire is random. in my system it detect all bottom blocks.

Here's my design:

As long as one of the wooden blocks catches fire, the redstone circuit will be cut off, stopping the reactor. I haven't tested it yet, but it seems foolproof, and works the instant the block is burnt out.