OV scanner shows results after mining - ?

• I did an experiment last night and found that my OV scanner consistently shows a result which is non-zero after mining an area.

My mining rig is a miner w/ diamond drill, OV scanner (starts will both fully charged), 2x pumps + cells, and I re-fill the pipe after one stack runs out, my base is about 70-75 squares above bedrock. The rig is powered by 1x 32 solar flower.

The first few, I'd mine, backfill with cobblestone and then scan while standing on the cobble and OV scan shows 4-5. I came across one which shows 19 after mining which seems like a lot of missed ore.

I've dug out the cobblestone again with miner and used water to float down and explore the mineshaft, but can't find the ore that I'm seeing on the scan.

Does anyone know what's going on with this? - is it a bug with the scanners, or possibly ore stuck under/around the bedrock which the miner coudln't reach?

• Just had an inspired suggestion - tonight the test will be to do scans part way down the mineshaft to narrow down at what level the ore was missed - easy to figure out from there whether its below bedrock or above that level, as scanner only scans below the player.

• I guess, that there are still unmined ores underground. The bedrock layer isn't flat, so sometimes there will be unreachable ore blocks below bedrock blocks. Also the miner won't dig cobwebs at the moment, so the miner could stop digging on that level. Torches and rails (found in the new mineshafts) will also stop the miner.

• I tested one mine shaft, and near the bottom it started reading very high (20-40) still standing on the same square. I think this may be a result of the equation used by the OV scanner - where value = 1000 * ore-values / # blocks below player (in 9x9 area with player in the middle)

The miner had stopped at the first piece of bedrock it hit, and I found some diamond beside the bedrock on a lower level beside it, however that was the only shaft so far that I've been able to then get a zero from the OV scanner afterward.

Every other mineshaft I've tried, I get a reading >0, so my conclusion is that there must be some ore stuck below bedrock which the OV scanner picks up, but which is inaccessible (damn you honeycomb lattice bedrock and your inability to be mined!)

My Solution: mine elsewhere and stop being so anal retentive about getting 'every last piece of ore' - there's lots of fish (and ore/clay/squid) in the sea. ;)

• If there's one or two blocks of ore at the bottom of a shaft, the OV scan result should increase as you go down, as it reads the ore value density, not the total ore value.

From the wiki* : ValueOfArea = 1000*TotalValue/TotalBlocksScanned, where TotalValue is the sum of all the values for the detected resources, and TotalBlocksScanned is the total amount of blocks below the player. In this case, it is equal to 81x scan height.

So, with only 1 diamond hidden in the bedrock, at sea level height 64, you'll see a score like 1000*5/81*64 = 5000/5184 = 1. At Y=32, that will read again at 5000/2592 = 2, and at Y=8, the score will rise to 8.

I'm not sure how air blocks affect the calculation. My best guess from the wiki is that they count as blocks, so a diamond at the bottom of a 64 block pillar of dirt should read the same as a diamond under a 'pillar' of air.

*Linking is not allowed?