Having read the documentation I have a conceptual idea of what might work, but wanted to post an idea that had been filtering around in my head before I get to a point where I'll want to use it.
The basic idea is that all breeders run best hot, and most efficiently while producing power at the same time (so you aren't completely wasting uranium): however even trying to make a neutral breeder I ran across huge resource usage in creating the heat distributors/etc.
So why even bother with that; it's not like I currently have redpower2 or buildcraft; just industrialcraft. The only regulation tool at my disposal are basic redstone clocks and logic.
Thus I decided to look in to a design that intentionally lives on the edge.
In the eyes of those with more experience, is this a sound idea and accurate prediction of results?
Placing the three chambers such that it's vertical there is one spot in the top middle for power to exit, and one spot in the bottom for a redstone signal to enter.
Source blocks placed above the chamber's immediate area so that the water flowing down is replaced (possibly in from the side too if the design requires it: it might).
The tough part would be making a 20 : 180 redstone clock. An accurate 1 reactor tick high out of 10 (1:9) inverted to stall the reactor for 9 cycles between pulses should allow it to cool off and maintain an equal temperature over a complete cycle by drawing out the reaction time. The two water cells inside were added specifically to tune the ratio.
Even running at ~9700-9960C this /should/ be stable. Since a full pulse cycle would be 10 seconds the startup cost would be 4 lava, wait 9-10 seconds and drop in the 5th.
As this would run at 1/10th the time the average power output would be 8u/t; however it would be delivered in 80e/t pulses.
BTW: I'm assuming that while redstone signaled even the cooling cells in the reactor do not function, if this isn't the case please assume I'd do something else to balance the design (not sure what, but something).
This slight modification should be made with the extra chamber on the bottom; the wire still out the top/etc. (bad url) It requires a 1:11 ratio instead of 1:10 but does away with the variable question I had above; though it does lack a place to put in lava; I would replace the used lava for the left column when the time was right.
Edit 3: Copy failure on the link: http://test.vendaria.net/index…XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (also edited slightly based on the calculations of the other simulator; I miscalculated cooling; this should be a net of 0)
Here's a bigger design based on the same ideas and inspired by a recent thread that showed up slightly after mine: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…itwfygcx7bd1c2kdw7yqld0e8 It trades maximum uranium efficiency (a full board) in a single shot for recharging some cells.
Here's design #2 implemented in that other simulator: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…huxfcjmm8k9qnfjkyqlvqff40 (Please note, the row of isotopes is actually being used as a heater: I'd hoped they might also enrich just due to heat but that isn't the case.)