Mk-V CASUC 755 EU/t 4.31 eff (Rev. B)

• UPDATE

I have redesigned the reactor core cooling hookup to squeeze out an additional 20 EU/t and 0.11 eff!

---

Yes, another MkV CASUC reactor! This one, however, does not require the use of RP2 Machine or World addons. I built this one from scratch, and while inspired by other CASUC reactors here, is not based on any previous design. So on to the more important stuff:

Specs:
    Output: 755 EU/t (at core) | 738 EU/t (nominal)
    Efficiency: 4.31
    Uptime: Continuous

Mods Used:

IndustrialCraft 1.23
    BuildCraft 2.2.4
    RedPower 2pre3 (Core, Wiring, Logic ONLY)
    Buildcraft Additional Pipes
    EnergyConverter 0.20
    Pigalot's Bucket Filler

Design:

As expected, nothing fancy: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…s=101l1010113010101001010
    Update: Now using: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…o=101m1010114010101001010

So, I used RedPower for it's fancy wiring and logic gates, because I think they're really cool. However, I'm not a fan of the RP2 reimplementation of pipes (already in BC) and electricity (already in IC2) and therefore do not use RP2 Machines. Now you have the reasons why I didn't simply lift the reactor from Rick or BrickedKeyboard, onto the details!

Overall Design:

I use a unified input/output system thanks to BuildCraft pipes which allows for a 5 chamber reactor (hence the higher output despite being a bucket cooled reactor). Coolant delivery is broken into two wings to cut down on the complexity of each (and trust me, each cooling wing is quite the knot of piping as it is).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/20111110161926.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/20111110162227.png/

Cooling Systems:

Each cooling system is further broken down into two working components, Stage 1 and Stage 2. Stage 1 is a set of BuildCraft pumps that direct water out of the coolant pools and into the piping system whereby Stage 2 is filled. Stage 2 takes the coolant and fills buckets, lots and lots and lots of buckets (120 per system to be exact) and sends them to storage chests where they are removed and injected into the reactor.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/20111110162104.png/

Reactor System:

The main reactor currently is comprised of a 5 chamber nuclear reactor plus all the hardware required for the empty bucket extraction system to function. An RP2 sequencer is used to keep each of four redstone engines desynchronized, allowing for a bucket extraction rate of ~3 buckets / second out of a single Advanced Wooden Pipe (keyed to an empty bucket). Furthermore, an additional set of logic gates are used at the reactor to create a set of interlocks which give a basic level of reactor safety. The reactor is unable to start unless both cooling systems AND the reactor extraction system is online and running.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/20111110162001.png/

Update:

The reactor core now uses a dual-unified input-output system, meaning it now runs in a 4 chamber configuration. While the loss of the extra chamber is unfortunate, the additional bucket flow this affords means the cells can be compacted within the reactor for more power and efficiency.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/249/20111113130905.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/20111113130941.png/

Thoughts:

So far the reactor seems to be stable for me. It is yet to crater on a logout/login, and has not had any loss-of-coolant issues even through the complexity of the coolant systems. This is still a work in progress, so expect updates with further safety systems (such as active coolant flow monitoring and auto-scram features).

I have not yet built this in a legitimate survival game. I designed this for use by a friend of mine and me in our private SMP world which will require a high-power nuclear reactor in the bottom of our base, so it will be implemented legitly soon. Stay tuned!

Downloads:

Test world file is below. The main reactor switch (the higher of the two next to the reactor) is currently OFF. The reactor is fueled, all engines are primed, and both cooling systems are charged. All you have to do is flip the switch.

Tygre-Shinobi Reactor (Rev. B)
    Tygre-Shinobi Reactor (Rev. A)

• I really like the looks of this reactor. I really want to look at it up close, any chance you could upload the world?

Also, ignore Rick. He trolls anyone who has a different design than his.

• Didn't have the time last night to package it up nicely and post a world file (it was rather late). I will definitely do so once I get home today.

• I really like the looks of this reactor. I really want to look at it up close, any chance you could upload the world?

Not trolling just being realistic with so many uran cells you want to get highest eff possible you cannot run it 100% of the time it just uses so much uranium. Some simple changes would improve eff by quite a bit.

• Speaking of breeders ... why are you only getting 10 million EU per ore? If I run this reactor in a CASUC-AQ Breeder configuration between full CASUC power burns (which, btw, requires 0 modification of the system itself, just the internal cell configuration) I should be getting 20.8 million EU per ore, not counting depleted cell returns from each burn. And that's with enjoying the fact that a CASUC-AQ Breeder requires exactly zero babysitting.

• Speaking of breeders ... why are you only getting 10 million EU per ore? If I run this reactor in a CASUC-AQ Breeder configuration between full CASUC power burns (which, btw, requires 0 modification of the system itself, just the internal cell configuration) I should be getting 20.8 million EU per ore, not counting depleted cell returns from each burn. And that's with enjoying the fact that a CASUC-AQ Breeder requires exactly zero babysitting.

Ya, 10 mil sounded a bit low to me too, but I had no clue what he was breeding in. I've got a theoretical breeder design that will get at least 25.6666 mil EU per ore [more like 38.5 when you count the free depleted cells], when run in tandem with a 640 EU/t CASUC reactor... which will also produce enough uranium cells to run both reactors, and then some... [Though does have 1 swap as it's a 9k heat CASUC breeder]

Though I have no clue what the -AQ stands for in your notation :)

• AQ is "Aquatic". There's a small note of it near the bottom of the breeder designation section. 4000 heat water-moderated breeders are referred to as Aquatic, and since mine generates enough power to require bucket circulation, I decided to refer to it as a CASUC-AQ Breeder.

As promised, uploaded when I got home. Link is in the OP.

• Empty bucket extraction in Rev. A is not fast enough to cool the reactor in your proposed configuration. Since the four redstone engines working the Adv. Wooden Pipe must actively be kept desynchronzed, they are a bit slower than 1 pulse / second.

• You wont be able to keep it running 100%

Uh no? This is a 100% uptime CASUC design. For those parties interested ... an increase of 20 heat per pulse is an overall increase of 200,000 heat over reactor lifetime.

• Uh no? This is a 100% uptime CASUC design. For those parties interested ... an increase of 20 heat per pulse is an overall increase of 200,000 heat over reactor lifetime.

try get 35 uranium before cycle ends. It will eat your uranium so fast you cant keep up with it.

Also the 20 heat extra is nothing compared to what its already producing (1450 heat) unless your reactor runs with a very very small margin it should be no problem.

• try get 35 uranium before cycle ends. It will eat your uranium so fast you cant keep up with it.

Also the 20 heat extra is nothing compared to what its already producing (1450 heat) unless your reactor runs with a very very small margin it should be no problem.

:P I really should post my theoretical breeder (or just build it and test it then post it) cos it'll (or well it should) produce 38 usable uranium / cycle [using 4-6 uranium ore turned into isotope cells]
    ... though with it I guess you'd have a harder time finding all the coal dust you'd need (aka LOTS) :P

• try get 35 uranium before cycle ends. It will eat your uranium so fast you cant keep up with it.

Your point on uranium consumption? All CASUC reactors use uranium at similar rates. And yes, I tuned my reactor to run with a margin under 20 heat per second...because I can.

• qft

It is allright. Criticism drives innovation. I have updated the reactor to Rev. B, which now boasts more power AND more efficiency than previously, and should provide a straight up higher power, higher efficiency reactor than the RedPower 2 pre3 alternative ... with the added bonus of not having to worry about chunk lines.