I have redesigned the reactor core cooling hookup to squeeze out an additional 20 EU/t and 0.11 eff!
Yes, another MkV CASUC reactor! This one, however, does not require the use of RP2 Machine or World addons. I built this one from scratch, and while inspired by other CASUC reactors here, is not based on any previous design. So on to the more important stuff:
Output: 755 EU/t (at core) | 738 EU/t (nominal)
RedPower 2pre3 (Core, Wiring, Logic ONLY)
Buildcraft Additional Pipes
Pigalot's Bucket Filler
As expected, nothing fancy: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…s=101l1010113010101001010
Update: Now using: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…o=101m1010114010101001010
So, I used RedPower for it's fancy wiring and logic gates, because I think they're really cool. However, I'm not a fan of the RP2 reimplementation of pipes (already in BC) and electricity (already in IC2) and therefore do not use RP2 Machines. Now you have the reasons why I didn't simply lift the reactor from Rick or BrickedKeyboard, onto the details!
I use a unified input/output system thanks to BuildCraft pipes which allows for a 5 chamber reactor (hence the higher output despite being a bucket cooled reactor). Coolant delivery is broken into two wings to cut down on the complexity of each (and trust me, each cooling wing is quite the knot of piping as it is).
Each cooling system is further broken down into two working components, Stage 1 and Stage 2. Stage 1 is a set of BuildCraft pumps that direct water out of the coolant pools and into the piping system whereby Stage 2 is filled. Stage 2 takes the coolant and fills buckets, lots and lots and lots of buckets (120 per system to be exact) and sends them to storage chests where they are removed and injected into the reactor.
The main reactor currently is comprised of a 5 chamber nuclear reactor plus all the hardware required for the empty bucket extraction system to function. An RP2 sequencer is used to keep each of four redstone engines desynchronized, allowing for a bucket extraction rate of ~3 buckets / second out of a single Advanced Wooden Pipe (keyed to an empty bucket). Furthermore, an additional set of logic gates are used at the reactor to create a set of interlocks which give a basic level of reactor safety. The reactor is unable to start unless both cooling systems AND the reactor extraction system is online and running.
The reactor core now uses a dual-unified input-output system, meaning it now runs in a 4 chamber configuration. While the loss of the extra chamber is unfortunate, the additional bucket flow this affords means the cells can be compacted within the reactor for more power and efficiency.
So far the reactor seems to be stable for me. It is yet to crater on a logout/login, and has not had any loss-of-coolant issues even through the complexity of the coolant systems. This is still a work in progress, so expect updates with further safety systems (such as active coolant flow monitoring and auto-scram features).
I have not yet built this in a legitimate survival game. I designed this for use by a friend of mine and me in our private SMP world which will require a high-power nuclear reactor in the bottom of our base, so it will be implemented legitly soon. Stay tuned!
Test world file is below. The main reactor switch (the higher of the two next to the reactor) is currently OFF. The reactor is fueled, all engines are primed, and both cooling systems are charged. All you have to do is flip the switch.