Suggestion: Solar panel revision (Thread post attempt #3 - daytime posting)

• I couldn't place blocks at either 127 or 128 when doing a nuke test. It was a wool block too, so I doubt it was an added limit.

I do have a rather perfect test environment; effectively 'creative mode' built to see how much load it could induce; still took two users the better part of thanksgiving weekend to build (I don't even want to think about how many months of gathering and fabricating it would take for real). Enough solars to cause noticeable client lag at the moment. I very much look forward to the upgrade to see if that removes the bottleneck from client/server.

Also yes, Nukes are under-powered and short duration in comparison to the possible trickle energy offerings.

Maybe an even more temperamental integral fast flux (waste reducing) reactor that was good for breeding and a 40% chance that cells that would otherwise evaporate at the end of cycle instead become some 'weak isotope' in need of concentration instead of simple re-enrichment.

• Yes, but if you look at the server in this thread ( http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=2911 ) and go to about 783, 80, -50 you'll see something that Chronophaser dreamed up most of after we learned 1) about solar panels and tin, 2) I explained the 39 limit of glass fibre 4) our feedback of experiments with transformers and their reboosting ability 4) I finally helped him build since we wanted to test it before the next release and it was something that could stress-test a server within Minecraft.

Only when it was done I found it put far more load on the client than the server.

I'm actually quite glad it's been built on a test server. The effects this has on latency, blocking out that much sun, and everything else is something to behold. If you decide to see the ~12750 (approximate average EU reading on the last glass fiber to the massfab) solar panel array you'll want to move the Z direction last; easier access.

-

Speaking about the reality of this project. Even I'll agree it's huge, over-powered, and aside from the symmetry ugly for the effects beneath it. As I said earlier, this was build to test the scale and prove both it was possible and what it would cost in terms of time, effort, and more or less everything besides material. The time involved in making this are NOT inexpensive, and that's without the even fractional build costs of the forerunners when we were building /much/ smaller versions because we thought cables had more real world limits. Even those took forever to mine for and construct. Building something this huge would be a complete nightmare (but it is possible).

I will stress entirely, however, that it is NOT the solar panels that make this overpowered. Nor is it the transmission distances of the involved cables. It's the network effect that is possible. The real issue is that wires are merely logical connections between source and destination without any consideration about the limits of using that connection.

In case you hate the mods or whatever... (~1.9MB of teaser images)