Wind power setups?

• So I made this giant Batbox/copper cable to the roof of the sky, and only put about 5 wind gens. I realize that that was a waste of resources and time, and want to know what I should do now..... If you could give instructions for a better setup that would help.

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• This is not a picture "of" my setup - it's someone else's farm - but the one I had in my 1.81 world was set up just like this:

Basically, the batboxes on the edges feed into the next ones, and so on (almost like a tournament ladder), then the primary batbox feeds into a redstoned LVT>MVT>HVT combo to ramp the output up to 2048 EU/t, which is run down an HV cable (because spending 15 diamonds to save 48 measly EU is silly!). That output is then stepped down with an HVT at the destination MFSU.

The only change I'd recommend is to replace most of the flooring with glass, like so:

This way the area below the farm is lit and you don't have monsters spawning in the shadows.

• Another member (SpawnX I believe?) has a setup that I've re-created and I absolutely love it. Making giant rafts of cables and wind-gens blotting out the sky is beyond fugly. :P Instead of having one gen, each hooked to its own dedicated bat-box and a half dozen cables servicing it, you might go for something a bit less efficient and a bit more practical. Take your standard watermill tower and take out the gaps. Essentially, run a cable to the top of the sky and then cover it on all sides with wind-gens to make a tower-cluster. Run that either to a bat-box or straight to a transformer and out into the trunk line. Space the towers apart as you would individual gens on a standard setup. That way you get a more space-efficient design but retain much of the generation power. How tall the towers get would depend on what type of wire you want to use. I'm also experimenting in mitigating the chances for windgens to fizzle tin cables.

• Mine started off like so:

Then I was stupid and wasted a lot of tin:

Then it thundered and fried all the cable, so I built it all at the top (pardon the night shot, 'tis all I have of most recent):

• Another member (SpawnX I believe?) has a setup that I've re-created and I absolutely love it. Making giant rafts of cables and wind-gens blotting out the sky is beyond fugly. :P Instead of having one gen, each hooked to its own dedicated bat-box and a half dozen cables servicing it, you might go for something a bit less efficient and a bit more practical. Take your standard watermill tower and take out the gaps. Essentially, run a cable to the top of the sky and then cover it on all sides with wind-gens to make a tower-cluster. Run that either to a bat-box or straight to a transformer and out into the trunk line. Space the towers apart as you would individual gens on a standard setup. That way you get a more space-efficient design but retain much of the generation power. How tall the towers get would depend on what type of wire you want to use. I'm also experimenting in mitigating the chances for windgens to fizzle tin cables.

I made mine to top of map.... Do I now have to replace all of the batboxs and copper cabling?

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• This is what I am using at the moment:

Also doesn't look that bad from the ground:

Gives around 150-220 EU/t depending on the wind and costs far less than a solar farm. Also it is more compact. Only problem is that the tin cables tend to burn out, but usually only one line, which shuts down the complete system. This also prevents destruction of windmills due to outputting more than 5 EU/t. You can replace tin with Diamond or splitter cable to prevent the loss of tin, but then you might want to secure your windmills another way or use one tin cable as a fuse before feeding it into a transformer.

Based on the layout by SpwnX here:
    http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=26575#post26575