[Idea] [Add-on Idea] Enclosed Wires (another way of looking at cable obfuscation)

• But wait, guys, covers DO work with cabels, why do we need to suggest anything?
    Or i don't understand what do you suggest ever....

• But wait, guys, covers DO work with cabels, why do we need to suggest anything?
    Or i don't understand what do you suggest ever....

Red Power 2 Covers CANT be placed on the same block a IC2 Cable is.

Its true that you can cover IC2 cables with RP2 Covers, but you will end up using the 4-8 blocks nearby the cable to do so.

• RailCraft Mod has couple of blocks and a car, which activates only if BuildCraft present.
    Is it so hard to cooperate with Eloraam without strict dependency, or will it lead to too much excess code?
    CF block hiding wires is good idea, but not so universal as panels.

May be if CF block was used to hide non isolated wire, destroying it should make voltage damage.

• RailCraft Mod has couple of blocks and a car, which activates only if BuildCraft present.
    Is it so hard to cooperate with Eloraam without strict dependency, or will it lead to too much excess code?
    CF block hiding wires is good idea, but not so universal as panels.

May be if CF block was used to hide non isolated wire, destroying it should make voltage damage.

Railcraft made their own blocks and car, which are compatible with the buildcraft systems. Unlike RP2 where elo made the covers specifically to work with her cables, this has been discussed before, the only way to make covers compatible with other blocks (Like cables), said blocks would need a major rewriting to work with covers + it would be absolutely necessary to have RedPower2 Core files for them to work. Since most modders want to be Standalone (At least IC2 in this case), dependency on other mod core files is a pretty big "NO".

Sides Elo Project is closed source with no API (yet), so trying to make stuff thats compatible with Redpower 2 + other mods its difficult.

• You can surely find all sorts of information and threads about suggestions regarding covers from other mods. Here's one of them (and it contains links to two other threads, thanks yori07!)
    http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=3641

Regarding Sebra's question (about painting foam to look like smoothstone), if CF foam is the chosen method rather than the original suggestion of cables that look more like stone, there would be two options to make it look right:

• Retexture: Change the texture(s) in /ic2/sprites/block_0.png so that a rare color would look exactly like stone. Any color you never use and one cheap to mass-produce (light green/yellow maybe?)
    • Less subtle and more expensive option: Make the entire vault out of construction foam :)

Not sure which one I would do. I like the idea of camouflage, but I'm beginning to like the look of hardened foam, too.

• No. I do not want some color CF to look as a stone.
    I've seen some mods like secret walls or such name. It have a block, which shows texture of block under itself, not his own. So if CF block is so special, can we have a way to masquerade it as another? Can it store a data, which texture to show to players? Some players will make buildings from CF and paint in in different views. Wooden, stone, gold, obsidian... Probably animated and transparent should be forbidden.

• No. I do not want some color CF to look as a stone.
    I've seen some mods like secret walls or such name. It have a block, which shows texture of block under itself, not his own. So if CF block is so special, can we have a way to masquerade it as another? Can it store a data, which texture to show to players? Some players will make buildings from CF and paint in in different views. Wooden, stone, gold, obsidian... Probably animated and transparent should be forbidden.

I agree.

In case I may have been misinterpreted, please allow me to explain:

In my original post, I suggested a cable that would look like stone, and more importantly mount luminators in the more attractive non-cable way.

I do not know if you are familiar with the cable obfuscator from IC1, but it was a tool that changed the texture used for a cable (sadly, no wiki entry for it anymore that I found). Since the obfuscator hadn't yet been ported to IC2, I assumed there was something in the way of its implementation. I thus suggested another wire (in the vein of a switch cable or a detector cable) that would be crafted from an existing HV cable and a few blocks of stone but would have a unique texture soas to blend in well.

The thread immediately tangented off the original idea to both CF and a discussion of other mods.

My reply to you was not meant to be a dismissal. I was saying that if CF is decided to be the way to go, there are some (admittedly undesirable) options to have things look right if you don't want to use CF. I've started experimenting with CF, and I'm learning to like it under the right conditions, but you are right that it doesn't address mountain strongholds.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, and here's hoping. (Maybe I'll try again to get MCP working and see how straightforward this might be)

Thanks for reading