Laptop temps?

• So i recently got a new (refurbished) laptop the dell 15 xps (yes i know dell sells expensive computers but it was a good deal for a refurb) it has.

proccesor: i5 2430m 2.4 gh

Video card: Nividea geoforce 525m

Ram: (2GB X 2)

so one day i just decided to check temps of my laptop and it was 50-60c on idle and under moderatly high load riched up to low 80s so i thoguht that was a little highso read so forums and learned that was insanly high. so i got speed fan because i notice the fan didn't turn on until around 50c so that helped and capped my proccsor speed at 70% after i was reading 27c idle or like 78f.

so i thought that was good but can some laptops take more heat than others becuae i read the 15 xps hits up to 90c underload :Generator: :Geothermal Generator: and i dont like to cap proccsor when i "moderatly" game even though i have i have a bottleneck gpu.

and i am also wodering if this is worth it http://www.amazon.com/Xpad-Non…-Heatshield/dp/B000PH2E3E .

still rocking the GMA 950 card :D overclocked to the point of smoking. :huh: hahahahaha now i got my 525m now that thing does work 8) :P :D

• High temps like that are pretty normal for laptops, it's nothing to worry about, really. People like to wave their arms about saying this, that, and the other about damage and the likes, but in reality, no, it's fine. CPUs do throttle themselves (or shut down in extremes) to protect themselves, plus fan controllers keep it all in check too.

I've got a Mac Mini which uses laptop hardware and is very tiny, I've been encoding for years with this machine where the CPU sits at 90c for 12 hours at a time. Trouble free. My MacBook Pro is the same, sits around 90c at maximum load .. They are designed with heat in mind, thus can take the heat.

Only thing to worry about if the laptop is on your legs when it gets to those temps. :P

• and i am also wodering if this is worth it http://www.amazon.com/Xpad-Non…-Heatshield/dp/B000PH2E3E .

If you use it a lot on your lap, sure. If on your desk, what I do is place a DVD case(or book) right underneath the point where the screen attaches to the keyboard area. This props up the laptop just a tad, and haven't had any overheating problems since then (my laptop overheated 3 times prior to that, and had emergency shut-downs.)

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]