Suggestion: Luminators

• You know that you would be practically making up to 9+ (You have to think of the corners too) light emitting pseudoblocks just to give it 2 more range of lightning right? Thats 9+ blocks that will consume resources (Small or otherwise), where you can simply place a second luminator 6-7 blocks apart from the first one to have a light level of 15 between the 2 of them? See where im going with this?

• You know that you would be practically making up to 9+ (You have to think of the corners too) light emitting pseudoblocks just to give it 2 more range of lightning right? Thats 9+ blocks that will consume resources (Small or otherwise), where you can simply place a second luminator 6-7 blocks apart from the first one to have a light level of 15 between the 2 of them? See where im going with this?

I was ignoring the corners, because when you look at the minecraft lightning engines, the light levels do not go down by one in diagonals, but by twos.

As for the second luminator, Yea, that would give you the 15 light level IF you had this extended system, as long as they were no more than 4 blocks between each of them. But, With the current system, to get 15 light everywhere, you need to have them on every free tile of space.

• Just did a few test, forget about this whole luminator idea, the frigging minecraft lightning engine needs a complete overhaul to stop being so shitty.

Graphic description of how shitty the lightning engine is:

So its either the lighting engine being dumb as a brick or risugami sign tags for [light] not working well.

• Well, It looks like the wall is all 15, with the signs being 14, simply by the borders.

However, the signs appear to be giving much lower of a value, what you would get by default.

• These are the actual values, Light 15 starts from the source block ergo the glowstone. 1 Space ahead it becomes 14. 2 spaces after that it becomes 12 and clashes with the other glowstone creating a static 12 light value instead of bumping it to at least 14 or 15.

This Light Engine its just plain weird, and the only way to apparently get a real light intensity of 15 its standing beneath direct sunlight.

And like i said, its either the light engine that its weird, or risugami [light] tag its wrong, or in the worst case scenarios its both :S.

• I think my question then, Is whether you had there, An actual attempt of light-giving pseudoblocks, Or if it was just minecraft normal lighting?

Because, That picture looks like it has the exactly lighting charactoristics you would expect from those two glowstone blocks.

The lightning engine looks like it allocates all light source blocks, then iterates through, starting at 15, and setting all adjacent blocks to 14 (or rather one light level lower) unless it is already a higher value.
    It then repeats with 14, all the way down to 2 (no need for 1 ofc, since that would set the blocks to zero, which they already are, since blocks have default light source level of zero)

Ofc, I could be wrong, but thats what it looks like.

• Normal engine. I was trying to prove if 2 clashing light sources would increase the light level or not. Obviously my hypothesis was wrong.

Yep, Light sorces do not stack. Light level diminishes by 1 per block away from a source, highest light level is used.

• I would like to see the storage removed when its plugged into a cable, but when it is placed away from cable it should have its long lasting storage, also it would be nice if their light would burn undead from a greater distance. Also maybe it could use a few upgrades like a super luminator that can be used offensivley as a directional mob cooker when its fed mv. Also maybe make it sort of like redpower covers in the respect that it occupies the same block as the cable, such would be useful if the luminators are applied as underwater lighting or perhaps under non solid blocks like doors, rails etc.

• I would like to see the storage removed when its plugged into a cable, but when it is placed away from cable it should have its long lasting storage, also it would be nice if their light would burn undead from a greater distance. Also maybe it could use a few upgrades like a super luminator that can be used offensivley as a directional mob cooker when its fed mv. Also maybe make it sort of like redpower covers in the respect that it occupies the same block as the cable, such would be useful if the luminators are applied as underwater lighting or perhaps under non solid blocks like doors, rails etc.

The first part, With storage removed, Is suggested earlier in the thread.

As far as I know, luminators dont hurt mobs anymore

As for redpower cover idea, Not really possible, without significant changes to the code.

• EDIT: Pseudo-air was exactly what I was thinking of.

Meh, not a bad idea but this will mean 1Block ID less and people with TMI will place Pseudo-air blocks everywhere to screw around.

"super long gay fucking signature that shouldnt even be here but you cant disable it or at least i cant find it god damnit i hate the internet and everyone on it. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

umad Badspot? :P

Steve shaves with a chainsaw.