Reactor Control Questions

• Hi everyone. I am playing on a SMP Server with IC2, Buildcraft and Redpower.

So I was reading a lot about Failsafe Reactor Systems and Things that shut down the reactor once the MFSUs are full.

So now I am wondering how this stuff works. For failsafe systems I have not seen anything that could meassure the reactor temperature and could output a redstone singnal on a given amount of heat. You could of cause use redstone clocks to have your reactor running for around 10 minutes , then cool down for 10 minutes and so on.

For the "overflow" safe you could of cause use the detector cable to emit a redstone charge when the mfsus are full and shut down the reactor

BUT - both systems would require a redstone circuit directly to the reactor. And shince redstone gets wahsed away when water hits it you would have to resign of a few blocks of water around your reactor. I think you can link detector cables and restone and even buildcraft pipes(which carry a redstone signal) together to minimize the loss of wather to one or two blocks. but still this would mean a permanent loss of important cooling doesn`t it?

• Oh thank you thats a nice design.

But still the reactor is not covered by water on the one side where the redstone goes it.
    I just cant imagine any way where a reactor is covered in water on all sides and still is connected to redstone.

• But still the reactor is not covered by water[...].

But it is fully covered. The maximum amount of water taken into consideration for cooling is 20 (when using all 6 reactor chambers). Because only blocks which are adjacent to the the reactor-CORE (not the chambers) are used. So you have 6 "open" side for redstone, tubeing, whatsoever :D

• But it is fully covered. The maximum amount of water taken into consideration for cooling is 20 (when using all 6 reactor chambers). Because only blocks which are adjacent to the the reactor-CORE (not the chambers) are used. So you have 6 "open" side for redstone, tubeing, whatsoever :D

A reactor without chambers could not be connected to redstone without losing at least one block of water. For Tubing you are limited to 5 chambers (one needs to be the tube). I guess redstone works, because the chamber get's a signal and is transporting it over to the core. You could also use a stoneblock or another block to power the core, but since you need one it is the best thing to use a chamber. But still the core needs to get a redstone signal, not the chamber (but a powered chamber will power the core).

So this works:

:Cable::Nuke TNT::Generator:

The Redstone poweres the Core by transmitting power true a block (most likely a chamber)

:Cable: - Redstone
    :Nuke TNT: - Anyblock that can transmit a redstone-signal (like a Chamber or Cobblestone, but not glass)
    :Generator: - the Reactor-Core

This doesn't work

:Cable::Rubber Log::Nuke TNT::Generator:

If you do this, the Chamber will receive a redstone-signal but not the core. So the reactor will keep on running.

:Rubber Log: - any Block that transmits Redstone
    :Nuke TNT: - in this case this is a chamber