Heating up a Breeder

• So, I've only recently dabbled into nuclear engineering. While I wait to get myself a little more acquainted with how to design one of my own, I've decided to run with this (http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…1k101010037ps011111101110) which I found here on the forum

Now, I want to enrich some of the depleted cells of the previous cycle. Being kind of lazy, I decided to opt for the same reactor design, replacing two of the uranium cells with depleted ones

As it's a neutral breeder, I need to heat it up, of course. Now, my problem is, I cannot seem to heat it up

I've started dumping lava buckets in it (hard to tell the temp without termometer, running on a SMP server). As I almost had a meltdown the first time I tried, I was careful this time. Turns out, 3 buckets are in, then 4, then 5... after dumping in about 15 buckets, I've started wondering: is it actually heating up? I tought, of course, that I was doing it wrong, maybe the cooling elements were absorbing the heat of the lava. So I removed them all except for the uranium, and started dumping lava on that too, then placed the cooling after about another 10 lava buckets

What am I doing wrong? I cannot seem to heat up my reactor anymore

Thanks everyone

• Well, the program says neutral as in "heat level unchanged" I reckon - and the level is 0. Look at the general info tab, specifically at
    - Total Cooling: 68
    - Total Heat: 50
    - Excess Heat: -18 (Brrr! Arctic!)

It's severely overcooled. Another design is necessary for a breeder, and you can get a much better efficiency out of it.

lyplyp

Perfect breeder:
    1. Normal configuration: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.…114010101001019
    Heating configuration: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.…114010101001010
    Designed this one myself. Its a 4 chamber perfect breeder with max eff. Be sure to put water high enough through so it wont evaporate or just let it run @ 6000 heat for less babysitting but also less eff. It will take about 4574 secs to get above 9000 heat in heating configuration. First component will melt after 4895 seconds so you got about 5 mins to change it back which should be easy. There 30 components in this + the reactor itself so to get to 10000 reactor heat you would need 310000 heat total.

try this from the first topic mentioned earlier in this thread.

hope it helps. credits of these reactor go to rick

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Well, the program says neutral as in "heat level unchanged" I reckon - and the level is 0. Look at the general info tab, specifically at
    - Total Cooling: 68
    - Total Heat: 50
    - Excess Heat: -18 (Brrr! Arctic!)

It's severely overcooled. Another design is necessary for a breeder, and you can get a much better efficiency out of it.

lyplyp

I think the link didn't save my changes, but I made sure to have no water around, and that brought the cooling effect on par with internal heating. Excess heat was reading 0

Still, shouldn't dumping even just 5-6 lava buckets in quick succession be way quicker than -18 /t, assuming that -18 was actually there?
    I'll try the more standard breeder anyway

by the way, how long does that heating configuration need to run, or how do I figure out the temperature myself?

• and thats where you are wrong,

the heat from the lava needs time to flow throu all reactor components
    hence the "wait time" per lava bucket.

be verry carefull when adding lava

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• here we go, found what was the problem

"Fixed negative heat when using several lava buckets in a reactor"
    From the changelog of the new version. So I guess there was someting wrong going on