[Nuclear Engineering] [IC 1.71] Gated Reactor observations deviating from expected behavior

• I'll have to test this again in 1.2.3, but using my design in this: http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=5236 For what should be either 3.5 or 3.6 seconds of redstone signal off I see 3 seconds of produced power; but at either 4 or 4.1 seconds (earlier in the video) I saw a positive thermal co-efficient instead of a slightly negative one as the numbers indicate should exist; I unfortunately did not examine the power produced during that event as the reactor was shut-off by a minor bug in the output when partly full MFSU setting.

I wonder:
    a) what the startup delay between redstone off and reactor is (or if it simply checks once per second at a specific offset).
    b) How many cycles of thermal rise are associated with the pulse of 'off' including regions during which no power is consumed.
    c) If any fuel is used during the non-power production time periods.

I know already how I plan to setup test cases for B when I finally have time; that's easy enough with the correct setup. A is more difficult; however sufficient observation should lead to workable conclusions. C is fairly difficult to measure without examining probably NBT tags in inventory... which is likely the easiest way of looking at it, but that's going to be annoying.

If anyone wants to investigate these before I again have some time in about 3 weeks please do so.

• i wil see if i can help you,

so far my estimate delay for rp is 0,2 sec p switch/latch.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I should remind you that I'm looking at three factors. Effectively when the reactor is on in relation to a window of run capability (heat), how much /power/ it produces as a result, and how much /fuel/ is used to obtain that (is any wasted 'starting' it up)?

• I should remind you that I'm looking at three factors. Effectively when the reactor is on in relation to a window of run capability (heat), how much /power/ it produces as a result, and how much /fuel/ is used to obtain that (is any wasted 'starting' it up)?

I wonder:
    a) what the startup delay between redstone off and reactor is (or if it simply checks once per second at a specific offset).
    b) How many cycles of thermal rise are associated with the pulse of 'off' including regions during which no power is consumed.
    c) If any fuel is used during the non-power production time periods.

I'll help you simplify, everything a reactor does, it does once per second. [So the second answer for A]
    for B if you mean reactor pulse when you say pulse, the answer would be 1. (as it "gains" heat once per second, regardless of if the power is being used or not, as long as the reactor is on an running, it is producing heat as well as power.)
    C) No. If the reactor is off (powered with redstone) it will use no fuel(uranium), produce no heat (unless you have more passive heating then cooling --- which is usually not the case so the reactor will usually cool based on it's cooling), and produce no power.
    [[Sorry I just peeked again and... the reactor "updates" once per second, but produces power based on the last update tick for the next 20 ticks. (since it produces EU/t not EU/s :P) so if it was running and then was supplied with redstone power, it will continue to produce power until the next reactor pulse, when it will stop producing power and not produce power for the rest of that second. So theoretically you could waste almost a second's worth of power if the MFSU were just below full with that setup.]]

• Thanks, it should operate as I expected. I must have just had something configured slightly wrong or hadn't given it enough time to cool (since I was capturing video at the time).