The true worth of Tin (420EU/s 24/7 Reactor)

• Hiho,
    I haven't seen anyone with this idea on this forum so i show you my tin-eating reactor (because i heard some waste it in geothermals or coal-fuel)
    Coolant Cells are WAY cheaper than using Ice for cooling considering that they can take 10.000 Heat before melting (except that you need Tin).
    with this basic,save,easy-design you can make 84 Mio EU with one stack of Tin with Uran effectivity 3.0 (edit: pardon i meant 2 stacks of tin, still half a million per piece)

Reactor

setup:
    A Pump fills the Cells with water and BC/RP bring them into an Extractor (use some overclocker upgrades to make sure it produces the 14(or another amount when you change the reactor)
    needed coolant cells in 5 min)
    let a transposer pull them into a chest (they dont stack so they have to be stored anywhere else than the extractor)
    VERY IMPORTANT: to reduce heat leaking into the hull when all the cells break in the same moment you should put the last transposer on high frequency and short(no) tube (or even use more than one)
    (will maybe send a screenshot later)

safety suggestion
    : (because some heat WILL leak)
    when you leave this thing alone make sure theres enough tin (or empty cells) for a full cycle
    put some ice in the reactor as a buffer
    water around the reactor helps to compensate the heat that gets into the reactor when refilling it
    you could make a redstone timer that turns the reactor off when the cells are burnt until it is refilled
    use thermal monitor addon

variants:
    the reactor i use kills all the coolants all together, other designs could make them die one after the other to reduce heat leaks (but stopping the reactor while refilling will be very difficult)
    higher effektivity is possible but will reduce the EU per Tin (just make sure every uranium still has at least one coolant cell)
    higher EU per Tin is reached when the Uranium is surrounded by more Coolants

hope you like the idea, and if you do so show my your setups

List of People I know who didn't blew up a machine from Advanced Machines addon by wiring them to MV: { }

Yay math exam is soon... lots of fun... "you love taylor approximation with parameters" *beat head with stick*

Edited once, last by Luckbot: wrong number of tin stacks ().

• Why not use this and constantly try to pump cells into the reactor ? It would produce less heat and thus, need less coolant cells.

Its a good design, i might try it in a test world.

If your using red power why not take advantage of the extractor, have it remove nearly melted coolant cells, send them to a secondary cooling reactor, then send them back when there cooled off?

Im not a tin pincher but why melt coolant cells if you don't have too?

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Why not use this and constantly try to pump cells into the reactor ? It would produce less heat and thus, need less coolant cells.

my design was just an easy and cheap variant
    permanently pumping coolants is possible too but i always have the feeling that it slows down my server a bit (i host my own with some friends)

removing the coolants is a nice idea, should try that out... the problem might be that they cool very slow and you need a lot of expensive reactor space..
    one wave of coolants ever few minutes and they need a full reactor cycle too cool down (plus a bit when you use a watercooled reactor with heat dispenser what would raise the cost even more)
    i think it would take months to bring in the cost of these cooldown reactors with the saved tin

i think the best way could be a mixture... both cooling cells down in a second reactor but everything that doesnt fit in it anymore dies

List of People I know who didn't blew up a machine from Advanced Machines addon by wiring them to MV: { }

Yay math exam is soon... lots of fun... "you love taylor approximation with parameters" *beat head with stick*

• A hybrid design does sound like a usable idea.

On the subject of you hosting with friends, have you thought about letting afew people in? Its hard to find a well run server and i am tired of hosting my own.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• i am generally ok with that but i think you would be somehow missplaced there... we all work together instead of everyone building his own base, the others have some problems with the english language and we use a very custom set of mods (a very unstable beta version of Mo'Creatures SMP for example)
    also the server isn't that fast... 1Gb RAM 4x2,2GHz and not online 24/7