Suggestion: New use for leaf blocks

• The reason why most IC players would want to craft saplings
    from leaves is because of the difficulty of obtaining saplings from rubber
    trees. The fact is that if this idea
    would be implemented I would want it to be nondiscriminatory or to be able to
    work with all the trees. Yet, I would
    want it to be a more economical use of leaves. Now leaves have a different
    damage value based upon which tree they come from and saplings drop at a rate
    of one 1/16 leaves. This is all according to the MC wiki (1). What this means is that it is possible
    to create different saplings based upon which saplings you place in the recipe
    and that my plan drops the leaf to sapling ratio from 1/16 to 1/10. This is all very good.

Orginal Post

When one wants to cut down a tree he has two options, mine all the wood, let the leaves disappear and hope to get a sapling or, cut down all the leaf blocks with the shears and get no saplings. My idea is simple, give people a more definitive way to obtain. Now, in the perspective of things I would not want to make obtaining a sapling from leaf blocks simple.

this would also make it easier to make a rubber tree farm with out ever loosing too many trees.

Recipe

L L L
    Hc B Hc = So 1
    L L L

L Ll L
    D Wp D = So 2
    L Gl L

mix so1 and so2 anywhere on the crafting table to create slm

put slm in the extracter to get one sappling

(L=leaf block; Ll= Lapis Lazuli; B=bone meal; D=dirt; Wp=wooden plank; Gl=glowstone; So 1=speciallized organics 1; So 2= speialized organics 2; slm=sapling like material)

remember for L, So1,So2, and slm would be diffrent depending on the type of tree.

• I get burning 10 leaves to get a sapling - that's probably around the normal drop rate anyways. And bonemeal and wood planks are easy enough to get on their own anyways (unless you play peaceful like me, but hey.)... but you're also asking us to toss in a lapis lazuli and a glowstone? And what is Hc even?

I feel that making 3 recipes and a function for the Extractor just to do the same function as placing and breaking the leaves on their own is fairly redundant...

• Sorry Hc is hydrated coal dust, like carbon that is used to amend soil in the real world. The reason why I was putting in lapis lazuli and glowstone dust was to make it hard to obtain the saplings so as to make it so people would not be able to make rubber tree farms too easily.

• The reason why I was putting in lapis lazuli and glowstone dust was to make it hard to obtain the saplings so as to make it so people would not be able to make rubber tree farms too easily.

...whereas I've been able to get a sapling or two per tree just from stripping rubber trees of all their leaves by hand?

• maybe you could use seeds and dirt instead of lapise and glow dust, kinda like you're making a compost.

Edit: Or as an alternative, we could combine saplings with sticky resin/rubber to make a sticky sapling, then compress it into a rubber tree sapling

• maybe you could use seeds and dirt instead of lapise and glow dust, kinda like you're making a compost.

Edit: Or as an alternative, we could combine saplings with sticky resin/rubber to make a sticky sapling, then compress it into a rubber tree sapling

the problem with the sticky sapling is that while it is a good Idea i want to be able to craft all types of saplings