Suggestion: more control over jet-flight

• I suggest adding following controls for jet-pack:

Shift - freeze in space (like on ladders in vanilla), until shift is depressed (or - until other movement key pressed)
    Double-Forward - horizontal increase of speed, at a cost of fuel (like dash in vanilla), until Forward button is depressed

Less essential, but desired, for hover-mode only:

Double-space - fly up like in non-hover mode, until space is depressed
    Double-shift - free fall until shift is depressed

• I dissagree with Alec, as this is a "Simpler" addition and not new content, just an improvement. I 100% agree with the OP, and think that this stuff would be very helpful.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• I dissagree with Alec, as this is a "Simpler" addition and not new content, just an improvement. I 100% agree with the OP, and think that this stuff would be very helpful.

Lulz.

What baturinsky suggest is already somewhere in that thread (that thread was a lil brainstorm of ideas for the jetpack).

• Shift - freeze in space (like on ladders in vanilla), until shift is depressed (or - until other movement key pressed)

Bad idea to freeze in space. Jet is not cheat.

Double-Forward - horizontal increase of speed, at a cost of fuel (like dash in vanilla), until Forward button is depressed

Bad idea. As if any jet movement not at cost of fuel. Slight position correction can lead to jump.

Double-space - fly up like in non-hover mode, until space is depressed
    Double-shift - free fall until shift is depressed

I do not like those modes as described in Advanced JetPack theme.

• Those topic

Bad idea to freeze in space. Jet is not cheat.

Small fluctuation instead of perfect still (like i propose) is even cooler, yes. And may be shift and "no button" can be switched for "stay put" and "hover down" to make things less confusing.

Bad idea. As if any jet movement not at cost of fuel. Slight position correction can lead to jump.

I meant "even more" fuel. Right now to fly with horizontal speed of dush one need to make a running start on the ground, which is silly.

I do not like those modes as described in Advanced JetPack theme.

Actually, with these two combos there is no need for more than one mode too.

So, something like this:

No modes.

Arrows - accelerate horizontally, up to certain speed (walking or a little faster). If it is opposite to where you are flying - decelerate.
    Double-forward - accelerate to significantly faster speed, until button is depressed. 2x fuel.
    Shift - descend at safe speed.
    Double-shift - free fall until button is depressed. 0x fuel
    Space - slowly accelerate up to certain (2x ladder) speed.
    Double-space - accelerate up to a much faster speed, until button is depressed. 3x fuel.
    Do nothing - stay roughly at the same place, with some fluctuations.

So, essentially, you fly like in hover mode always, but can get bursts of high speed with double taps.

Also, to put it other way, when jetpack is on you move nearly exactly like you do in vanilla, but in 3d instead of 2d, with space being "up" and shift being "down", and with more inertia and randomness.

• Slightly edited quote.
    Jump : Space; Sneak: Shift; Boost: Ctrl (added already by IC2); Direction: W/A/S/D.