Reactor Design Question

• Well, not the reactor itself, but cooling. This design, which I got from this forum, works, it is a single cycle reactor as advertised, but it scares the hell out of me. The last bit of it's energy evaporates the water out of the 5x5x5 chamber the reactor sits in the middle of, runs a minute or two longer, then the uranium cells finally expire.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…47f0eqegay0pukt7ou1xtfolc

Is there anything I might be doing wrong? I have a 13x13x13 cube of reinforced stone 4 layer thick so there is a 5x5x5 hollow spot in the middle where the reactor sits in the middle of that so there is a 1 block space between the reactor and the chamber wall, and there is water in every part of the chamber from ceiling to floor, I use the jet pack to fly around inside the chamber and if I find any pocket of air it gets a bucket of water dumped into it. I've gone over the design on one monitor with MC on the other and compared it component by component and it's laid out right, so I don't know if I'll be continually replacing the water every cycle or not. X( Anyone got any thoughts?

• Hah, well, it is better to put water source above reactor where it can't be evaporated, and let it flow everywhere around the reactor. This ensures constant cooling and you don't have to worry about evaporating water, since it gets replaced instantly. Read this Breeder evaporating blocks
    Good to know that someone does actually use my designs. ^^

So your saying I need to dig out another layer or two of the ceiling and add more to the top of the containment wall to compensate? X( As I was tweaking with it and seemed to make it into a SUC, what ever that means, by replacing a cooling cell, just one, with ice. Though I am still pondering on how to make the ice, this SMP server doesn't have EE. X( Have a few strange ideas involving enslaving snow golems, we'll see how they work out on a test world (If that reactor blows I really don't care, it's a test world. :D ). Thanks for the quick reply. :D

• having water, with source blocks at the roof and flowing everywhere else, everywhere inside the 7block³ radius is the best blastproof isolation anyway. if you build a RF stone cage around that, an explosion won't even destroy a single block of this cage. it's 9block³ big and still has a weak point where the cable comes out of it, but it's safest thing you can build. water in the 5block³ area isn't enough, since the generator tends to vaporate a water block exactly at the moment it's blowing up, destroying everything behind that weakpoint.

• having water, with source blocks at the roof and flowing everywhere else, everywhere inside the 7block³ radius is the best blastproof isolation anyway. if you build a RF stone cage around that, an explosion won't even destroy a single block of this cage. it's 9block³ big and still has a weak point where the cable comes out of it, but it's safest thing you can build. water in the 5block³ area isn't enough, since the generator tends to vaporate a water block exactly at the moment it's blowing up, destroying everything behind that weakpoint.

7? Ok, must have learned reactor blast cage design that's old school. Back when I last built a reactor it was a 4 layer thick walled room of RF stone to contain a reactor with a one block of space between the walls and the reactor for water, along with a 3x3x4 layer thick pads where the cables pop though (red alloy wire to turn it on and off and the glass fiber to get power out). The SUC design seems to be working, semi watching it, there is enough ice bouncing around in the tubes to keep it at a stack of 64. But I'll expand on the chamber (I have my quantum armor finally, so working in a water environment isn't a problem. :D ) and add another two layers to the outside to compensate. Be tricky but doable. :D Thanks. :D

• 7? Ok, must have learned reactor blast cage design that's old school. Back when I last built a reactor it was a 4 layer thick walled room of RF stone to contain a reactor with a one block of space between the walls and the reactor for water, along with a 3x3x4 layer thick pads where the cables pop though (red alloy wire to turn it on and off and the glass fiber to get power out). The SUC design seems to be working, semi watching it, there is enough ice bouncing around in the tubes to keep it at a stack of 64. But I'll expand on the chamber (I have my quantum armor finally, so working in a water environment isn't a problem. :D ) and add another two layers to the outside to compensate. Be tricky but doable. :D Thanks. :D

there's nothing wrong with your 4layers thick wall, since 4layers in every direction around a reactor gives you a 11block³ big room^^ (11block³ = 11x11x11).
    in case it wasn't clear, the measurements i've given you where the "layers" of the cube. 1block³ is the reactor itself, 3block³ are the chambers and cooling water, 5block³ is additional water, 7block³ is the failproof waterbarrier for blastprofability since blocks in 5block³ can vaporize in the same moment the explosion happens, 9block³ is the RF-stone wall.
    i tested this setup several times with a max uranium cell fill for the reactor and it always withstood the explosion.