Alternative to Bukkit for Mod-Servers

• So, lately my friend's vanilla server has been getting boring, like it usually does. So, I have started looking into making a modded server. However, I would like a larger than normal protected area around spawn, or even better, configurable area permissions. Bukkit, seems to be the solution here. However, many mods and especially addons don't have Bukkit ports. This means that I couldn't play with the mods I want, which leads us back to square one.
    So, my question is: Is there an alternative to Bukkit for basic things, such as protections and turning PvP on-and-off in different areas. If there isn't, would you use it instead of Bukkit? If there is, are there any cons? And finally, how difficult/long do you think this would take to code, or even be possible with Forge? Just some things to think about. 8)

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• have a look at some of these

personally I just keep it vanilla, server side. Given the server I run only sees 4 people tops (me & a few friends) I don't see a need for anything fancy.

• Wow, thanks, Richard! I found some things about those annoying as well... I could Beta-Test if you need someone too. Let us know when you're done, Kay?

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato