Decentralized Distribution of Steam (DDoS)

• You don't even need warded stone, I think you can get away with iridium-reinforced stone (if you haven't done any thaumcraft yet). If not them, you'll certainly be alright with iridium-reinforced tungstensteel blocks. Besides, I wouldn't set up this reactor if I thought it was going to explode.

• Don't really feel like setting up another test, but as iridium reinforced stone is blast resistance 300 I doubt it will stand up to a blast power of over 400 at close range. (for comparison, a nuke is 35)

• If the Filter has only damaged cells in it, then it should only be pulling damaged cells out of the reactor. It shouldn't be pulling full ones. This is hard-coded into RP2.

That reactor is a kludgy and inefficient mess. I said so when I first made it. It was an example of what was theoretically possible, with the caveat that it was not by any means feasible.

If you want a HAYOish setup, use multiple smaller reactors in tandem, so it looks like you have a massive multiblock structure as your reactor, with your few dozen cooling towers set up so that all of them are being fed equally. In fact, you could probably set that up with a single Retriever set to pull enough cells for all of your reactors, and having a single Restriction Tube in the pipeline. Basically, as long as all the empty cells are pulled, they will always try to go to the nearest empty slot, which will always be on the 'reactor' side of the restriction tube, so they'll always manage to find a good spot to go to.

Take, for example, the pocket reactor I just linked. 'Only' 720 EU/t, sure, but it only needs 4 cooling towers by itself. However, when you do the math, it actually ends up around 3.5. So two of them is roughly 7 cooling towers, saving you a tower, and netting 1440 EU/t. At that point, you just scale it up. Four times that means 28 cooling towers for 5760 EU/t! Might have to slide in an extra one or two, just to give yourself a margin of error, but you're producing more EU/t for fewer cooling towers.

Plus, a bank of eight nuclear reactors connected to an expanse of 28 cooling towers is VERY HAYO!ish.

• Ok, I'll admit, I never thought of using 8 mini-reactors. It seems you've beaten me on all fronts. My matter fabricator is happy.

Regarding the filter, even if its pulling out cells without a damage value (which may be a screw up on my part, haven't checked since yesterday), I just realised it probably won't matter. This is because all of the cells get replaced anyway, so as long as it pulls out the damaged cells at all i'll be happy.

Two questions though - how long does a thick neutron reflector last? The other thing is, since the mini-reactors use uranium, I no longer have any use for my plutonium. Do you know of any good DDOS setups using that?

EDIT: Ok, I've just been tinkering with this DDOS setup in my test world, and I've encountered an even worse problem. The retriever is set to only retrieve fully cooled cells (i.e. ones without a damage value), but I just tested it and it pulls any of them out, damage value or not. I don't know if this is a bug or there's been a recent change to RP, but this means that I can't automate my DDOS reactors without a serious design rework, if at all. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, is there a way to fix it?

• I have never encountered that problem with retrievers pulling out damaged cells, nor can I duplicate it.

Well, if you have Plutonium to burn, you can always try using quad-plutonium rather than uranium, such as with this setup.

Micro-cycle time is only 80 seconds, but it produces 1440 EU/t. So, let's crunch some numbers:

632 cooling cycle time / 80 microcycle time = 7.9 cooling chambers per reactor. You only need four such, however, to match the output of your previous setup. That means you'll need 32 cooling towers, but only four reactors.

You could also mix n match. So, for example, four of the previous design, needing 14 cooling towers total, plus two of these, needing 16 cooling towers, for a total of 30 cooling towers, getting rid of your Plutonium surplus, and using primarily Uranium which is fairly easy to obtain.

• link broken

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• Well this is odd. The problem with the retrievers I mentioned apparently only affects Helium cooling cells. The NaK ones work just fine.

EDIT: Ok, I managed to get the 8 pocket reactors going, with 30 coolers to be on the safe side. It produced a nice 5760 eu/t, producing UU matter in no time. However, the problem came when setting up the logic gates necessary to automate it. Because there was more than 1 reactor, I used a retriever pulsing 48 times to remove the hot cells, and another pulsing 48 cells to retrieve some cooled cells as usual. However, the reactors turned on prematurely, and so made a rather big hole. I guess what I needed was a way to count how many times the regulators had received cells, but I don't even know how to do that with 1 regulator, never mind 8. I also don't have the time nor the inclination to learn lua, meaning using a computer to automate is out of the question. So: could anyone post a screenshot showing what a setup of logic gates would look like? Alternatively, if someone could write out a program then that would be great as well. I don't mean to sound selfish but its for the community, not just me, so anyone could setup an awesome DDOS setup and have access to tons of energy without spamming solar panels. :D

Edited once, last by Shakie666: Had more to say, didn't want to double post. ().

• If you have omnitools installed mystical plinths have an insane blast resistance, 1200 I believe. Warded stone is 999. And mystical plinths are relatively easy to make.

• warded stone is, for all intents and purposes, bedrock.

While you won't take blast damage, you will still suffer the poison debuff. If you wear hazmat or quantum, I'm sure you can ignore the effect, but on the off-chance that someone else isn't in those armors, they are going to get hit hard with de-buffs...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Just thought i'd give you guys an update, if you're having the same problem as me with the filters/retrievers.

We all know that a filter/retriever differentiates between cells with and without damage values. However, I just discovered that a cell that is only 1% damaged is not considered to have a damage value at all. It must be at least 2% damaged to be considered damaged by the filters/retrievers. This was problematic because I was using 1% damaged cells in the filters/retrievers, which were then picking up undamaged cells as a result.

I don't know if anyone else knew about this, but i've never seen it mentioned anywhere and I thought it was worth knowing to anyone wanting to set up a DDOS reactor of their own.

• I just built one of these complete with 3 cooling towers working in series. I found that chaining the cooling towers with filters connected to ejectors, I could pulse the filters 6 times and then pulse the ejectors 6 times to move the partly cooled cells. A regulator would probably work too, but I didn't want to waste coolant cells to configure the inventory.

One question: should I cycle my reactor at exactly the micro-cycle time, or should I cut it down by a second or two? I ask because I had a problem with coolant melting when I tried it at exactly the micro-cycle time. I'm guessing I should cut it down because the time is extrapolated from the time it takes for the reactor to fail.

Also, there are a ton of cooling tower designs. By reading the whole thread, I sort of come to the conclusion that this is the accepted best 6-chamber one. Is it a good idea to use a bunch of 1-chamber ones instead? Is there a better 6-chamber design?

Oh wait. My reactor just blew up *sigh*. I probably messed up somewhere. Back to testing.

• I don't know if its worth doing, since it uses quite a bit of energy, but it just dawned on me that the vacuum freezer from GT can cool cells. Not on my pc atm, so I can't check how much eu is used per cell. But it would probably be faster than cooling them normally.

• It would probably be much cheaper than using cooling towers, though it requires a higher tier of progression in gregtech. However, since it requires energy, in the long run you would be better off using cooling towers.

• It would probably be much cheaper than using cooling towers, though it requires a higher tier of progression in gregtech. However, since it requires energy, in the long run you would be better off using cooling towers.

Mmm... depends. It's basically the whole 'LHZ is a trap because you spend half your EU output maintaining it' situation all over again.

However, assuming the energy requirement isn't *too* demanding, it might well be profitable. It would also depend on how quickly it cools off cells, and how many cells can be cooled at any given time. My knowledge of GregTech is minimal at best.

However, if you could get all 24 cells from a DDoS Alpha Reactor cooled within the micro-cycle time of 80 seconds, it basically replaces all the cooling towers. And if it only runs on, for example, 128 EU/t, and you are generating over 2k EU/t, it would be very much worth it.