IC2 v1.108 and testing (yet another help call)

• Hey all,

I noticed that a bunch of the experienced mod guys here have 1.108 versions of their mods out so this must be doable and is likely a problem in my configuration.

I've been following the various instructions for decompiling IC2 as per gregs instructions in various threads. I have source code that I've put into my MCP_forge folder and have whittled it down from about a thousand errors to a hundred errors ;)

I was thinking that perhaps these decompilation errors were due to it being v1.108 and 1.4.2 (vs 1.3.2 and v1.107 as in most of the threads).

My set up is as follows:
    IC2 (and API) v1.108
    MC 1.4.2
    MCP 7.19
    Minecraft Forge 6.0.1.355

The problems seem to range from duplicate methods to unknown functions (which generally have a crazy name and may be some artefact of the reverse engineering) - Also sorry for the paste bins, but was short on characters!

The list of problems, all in the ic2.common package:

http://pastebin.com/tfz76aWN

And to give an idea of the output when running in eclipse:
    http://pastebin.com/ajYpxr9Y

The exact process I followed, I forgot who posted this sorry, but it was on the forums here somewhere:

I guess you could say I'm having trouble with step 10 - although developing without source code readily available is something new for me, although I'm sure it is old hat for modders.

I should also say that I was able to successfully set up MCP and Forge standalone and implement a few of the basic Forge tutorials, so the problem for me seems to be with having IC2 in my development environment.

• Just an update before people take too much time out for this.

Following the instructions from Greg and Mo3pp3l, I was able to get IC v1.108 working successfully. The big problem was my misreading of step 9 in the above. I thought it meant the sound and image sources, not the .java source files themselves (it is painfully obvious in hindsight that it means both).

Once I realised the 100 or so errors were the small errors that everyone here was talking about I was right on track. I'm guessing these are errors that are introduced by the decompilation process, which I suppose is to be expected.

Just wanted to say a thanks to all the patient mod devs out there for all the info they put up on this forum, look forward to getting a mod off the ground.

Next step: Buildcraft API! ;)

• Just a quick tip:

If you are just trying to develop mods FOR IC2, don't decompile IC2. Use the API instead.

If you are trying to obtain an unobfuscated version of IC2 you can import into Eclipse so you can test your IC2 mod from within Eclipse, don't decompile IC2. Use BON (https://github.com/immibis/bearded-octo-nemesis). This requires Java 7, but you basically give it the downloaded IC2 1.108 jar, your MCP + Forge directory, tell it it's a client / merged and then click go. In about 5-10 seconds, you'll have a new JAR file you can add to Eclipse in the Library -> Add External Jar area of your Minecraft project. This will work 100%. It's what Tallinu and myself use to be able to test our mod (Advanced Power Management) from inside Eclipse.

The reason I'm pushing the API so strongly is that it is less likely to cause major issues for you during Minecraft / IC2 updates and doesn't require you to have to decompile IC2 and fix the thousands of errors the decompile process generates.

• Actually, I'll keep this in mind as I am working on an addon to IC2 that'll be my first real forray into Forge modding (I don't count the base file edits I did to learn as modding) and I think the API will be all I need, but just in case, I'll remember this. Yay for Immibis creating BON (I love the name GitHub cooked up for it: Bearded Octo Nemesis :D )

• If you are just trying to develop mods FOR IC2, don't decompile IC2. Use the API instead.

If you are trying to obtain an unobfuscated version of IC2 you can import into Eclipse so you can test your IC2 mod from within Eclipse, don't decompile IC2. Use BON (https://github.com/immibis/bearded-octo-nemesis).

Fantastic mate, this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to find when I started this mod! I've been developing against the API exclusively (dropped the downloadable API in after decompilation). The only reason I bothered with decompiling IC2 at all was to have it in my development environment - recompiling + reobfuscating every time I needed to test a change was something I wanted to avoid.

I'm running OSX here that has Java6 by default, but I believe I can install OpenJDK7 these days for use as a development environment. I'll give it a go!

The reason I'm pushing the API so strongly is that it is less likely to cause major issues for you during Minecraft / IC2 updates and doesn't require you to have to decompile IC2 and fix the thousands of errors the decompile process generates.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a big fan of API-driven development. Thanks for the heads up.