way to sort water/lava in pipes

• I'm trying to work out a setup with an IC2 miner next to an IC2 pump next to an IC2 thermo gen. But I want the extra lava the gen doesn't use to go to a tank instead of the cans. I was thinking putting a pipe on the pump to get what the gen can't use. Normally you have to put a second IC2 pump on the miner and dump cans into the chest.

But i'm not sure how to sort the water and lava from the pipe, assuming that part even works. Do I just put 2 tanks on the pipe and once a tank gets one type of liquid it won't take the other? or will it mix them creating a tank of obsidian?

• I seem to be having problems figuring out where the pipe should connect. I tried both WP stone and redstone motor powered wood on both the miner and the pump. If I use non-WP wood and motor on the miner, it pulls the scanner out and dumps it on the ground.

I was also hoping it would drain the lava the way the BC pump does, but it don't seem to. So it looks like I'll have to run the miner without a pump and when it hits liquid, swap it for a BC pump

• I seem to be having problems figuring out where the pipe should connect. I tried both WP stone and redstone motor powered wood on both the miner and the pump. If I use non-WP wood and motor on the miner, it pulls the scanner out and dumps it on the ground.

I was also hoping it would drain the lava the way the BC pump does, but it don't seem to. So it looks like I'll have to run the miner without a pump and when it hits liquid, swap it for a BC pump

The IC2 pump does not pump out liquids directly. It requires cells (not cans, not capsules, not anything else, just cells) and puts the liquid in the cells. If it is directly adjacent, it will take the lava/water from the miner, put it in a cell, then eject to adjacent inventory.

So, you have the following setup:

Code
    Copper Cable       |  Geothermal      | Pipe    | Pipe
    Miner              | Pump             | empty   | pipe
    Chest              | Chest            | Pipe    | Pipe

Pipe from chest will be an Emerald chest pulling only Lava Cells from the double-chest.

• You didn't read my first post. I don't want to put the extra lava in cells. That is why I am trying pull out what is not used by the thermo gen as lava into tanks. I tried connecting to the minner and tried connecting to the pump to get what it doesn't send to the thermo gen. When an IC2 pump is next to a thermo gen, you only put 1 empty cell in which is not used. the Lava is sent to the thermo gen until full. Maybe I should put the pipe on the thermo gen and try to pump out from it's internal storage.

• You didn't read my first post. I don't want to put the extra lava in cells. That is why I am trying pull out what is not used by the thermo gen as lava into tanks. I tried connecting to the minner and tried connecting to the pump to get what it doesn't send to the thermo gen. When an IC2 pump is next to a thermo gen, you only put 1 empty cell in which is not used. the Lava is sent to the thermo gen until full. Maybe I should put the pipe on the thermo gen and try to pump out from it's internal storage.

Neither are you reading his post. He said very clearly that liquids cannot be extracted through liquid pipes (e.g. RedPower fluid pipes, TE liquiducts, BC waterproof pipes). Hence, the only way to remove liquid from the pump is through cells or buckets.

• Which was part of the first post question and why I explained what I was trying to do. Spwnx only said the tanks only take what is already in it. He didn't say I couldn't pull liquid from the IC2 miner/pump. Why would it matter about sorting the liquid if it can't be pulled in the first place???

So now I just leave the IC2 pump off, connect up an MFE and carry the power over in crystals. When the miner hits liquid, I swap it for a pump that can drain the fluid area. Only when I tried it last night, on the second swap back, the pump bugged and left the pipe in the ground. the miner mined down and filled back with dirt, but the pipe is still there also :(