[Suggestion] Differnt kind of Blocks? + REducing Block ID's

• Hello, i was thnking of easy ways to see how your Eu was doing, and thought of redstone. However, for me its a bit comlicated to redstone up a whole network of wires blah blah blah...

To get to the point, i propose a few blocks:

NAME: Redstone Output Luminator
    (Call me old school, but...)

Description:
    - When powered with EU, gives off a redstone signal
    -Otherwise, same as original luminator

Crafting:
    - Possibly crafting recipe with liminator in the middle and redstone surrounding it?

_R_
    RLR = x1/2/4 Redstone Luminator
    _R_

L = Luminator, R = Redstone, _ = blank

Another Thing;

Name: EU power luminator Detector

Desciption:
    Depending on the input of EU, the light level of the Luminator chagnes. I imagine this would reqiure some time to code, but something like:

Code
    if EU level = 0-1, light lvl 0, else if EU lvl = 2-3, light lvl = 1, etc...else if EU = 30-31, light lvl 15.

I assume the code would be something like this, because of IC machnes exploding above a certain lvl of energy.

This block would be useful for determining how much energy there is...not. Therefore increase the amount of EU it can take to 511 EU [0-511 because of Binary?] Then:

EU = Light Level
    0-31 = 0
    32-63 = 1
    64-95 = 2
    96-127 = 3
    128-159 = 4
    160-191 = 5
    192-223 = 6
    224-255 = 7
    256-287 = 8
    288-319 = 9
    320-351 = 10
    352-383 = 11
    384-415 = 12
    416-447 = 13
    448-479 = 14
    480-511 = 15

Think i got that right...
    So the more EU that goes through, the brighter the level.

Crafting:

GGG
    LIM = x1 EU Sensor
    GGG

G = Glass, L = LV Transformer, M = MV Transformer, I = Luminator

Which brings up another thing...

Name: LIGHT SENSORS! [HAYO!]

Description: MY LIGHT SENOSORS WILL BLACK OUT THE...wait a minute. They won't block the sun, but they will sense it! Or light levels, more specifically. The sensor is located on top of the block, and the output goes on the other 5 faces of the block, which can be re-orientated like a MFSU etc. with a wrench. [When you right click with the wrench, the sensor faces you.] Maybe out puts
    Now, i dont know how output would work, but these things will [somehow] tell you the level of light! [Binary switches? 4 switches can represent a maximum value of 15, which incidently is the max light level! BINARY FTW] This might use a whole row of textures...

Maybe a way to determine the light level, then change the face to represent that?

Code
    if light level = 1, side texture 1 = ic2terrainsprites.png (8*16)+1 [8th row?]

Or just use plain old numbers for textures. Umm...

Crafting:

GGG
    SLS = x1 Light Sensor
    CSC

C = Circuit/Advance Circuit, L = Luminator/Solar Panel, S = Solarpanel/Luminator, G = Glass/Replace top row with same pattern as bottom, Maybe put a Machine/Advanced Machine somewhere?

[Alblaka, i assume you locked that other thread because of no formatting, so...]:
    - Meta-data = damage values
    - I have no idea what Eloraam was trying to explain to me when she was trying to explain how she compressed all those ID's
    - Me = No idea how to code damage values

Ok now...

Ok, this might seem minor to most of you, but personally, i use a lot of mods. Since MCForge came out, the old problem of terrain/item sprite indices has gone, only to be replaced with another problem: No Avaliable Block ID's left!
    Soo...

Name: Reducing Block Id's OR Block ID minus :P

Description:
    I was messing around in my world, and found a few things that could lower Block ID usage in IC^2:
    - Use Damage values/Meta Data [obviously] to...
    - Merge Ore Block ID's with Ore Storage Block ID's [ie merge the ores and the blocks made from ore storage into one ID, and differentiate by meta-data]
    - Merge the Dynamite block sticks into 1 ID's?
    - Same as above ^ except with TNT types blocks? Or make:
    - Nukes 200*-0
    - ITNT 200*-1
    - Unmarked Dynamite 200*-2
    - Marked Dynamite 200*-3
    * (example only)

- Other blocks that could share the same ID using Damage values? [Ie I cant think of any more ways to compress Block Id's

And the logic to all this is:
    - All the generators share 1 Id, as do the Furnace-esque Machines. Why not the Ores?!?

- The terraformer shares the same main block id with the main machines [miners, etc] as well, as well as the machine and the Advanced machine block.

The main object of this post was to ask that the coders of IC^2 look into reducing Block ID usage

And when i say 'shares the same block ID', they're still differentiated by meta-data/damage values. And apparently a tile entity can use meta-data as well.

[And Alblaka, if i got something wrong there, so sue me.]

If this is locked for too many suggestions, so sue me.

EDIT: Did i make myself clear enough?

• this would probably become part of McForge itself, but several months ago (beta 1.2), someone did make a mod api that allowed furnaces to distinguish between different meta-data value inputs; at the time, however, no one was really interested in this because there were only a handful of mods that even added new blocks, and incompatibilities were almost always caused by overlapping .class files

he said in his thread that, for example, one could make only cyan wool a fuel

I'm not an expert, and I can't even find the thread anymore for reference, but I'd imagine that it could also be possible to make the furnace distinguish between meta-data values for smeltables

if something along these lines could be re-created, this could lure many more moders into using McForge

• I'm going to pester talk to Eloraam about that now...

Apart from that, why everyone talk about the ID's? :(

• What, no one even reads the whole post, and just reads the BLock ID's bit?

Bump.

[Maybe i should break this up into 4 different topics...]

• What, no one even reads the whole post, and just reads the BLock ID's bit?

Bump.

[Maybe i should break this up into 4 different topics...]

separate topics do tend to be easier to handle. It makes sure that each suggestion can be discussed and judged upon in its own right.