Bored? Random IC2/Forum chat

• Excellent! We shall smite the Sinnajians using the power of the Orion Drive, Project Thor and Jeb!

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• I shall use an Alcubierre Drive to propel us into space!
    I shall use ion drives, and NTR to win this war!

Ion drives? Tell me when you've arrived at your destination in 10000 years. High Isp is no excuse!

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• I know about RL NTRs that are illegal to use because of some nuclear space treaty.

• Official Post

I know about RL NTRs that are illegal to use because of some nuclear space treaty.

dont forget that they suck thrust wise
    suck
    majorly

I would happily trade 1 60 thrust 800 isp engine for 1 200 thrust 400 isp engine >.>

• dont forget that they suck thrust wise
    suck
    majorly

Not in RL! Look at the section about Project Rover

The goal was a 1 MN thruster, but due to budget cuts in the late 1960's, it was scaled it down a 330 kN version.

Also, if you say that about the LV-N, what do you think about the ion engine?

• Official Post

Not in RL! Look at the section about Project Rover

Also, if you say that about the LV-N, what do you think about the ion engine?

How much thrust do they output IRL? :P

The Nuclear engine isn't THAT bad, you just need a huge amount of them and i REALLY don't want to do asparagus rockets (it feels cheaty :P)
    Also, although ion engines have a tiny tiny tiny amount of thrust, they are GREAT for satellites (at least when changing their orbits ever so slightly) since 1 tiny can of fuel lasts forever and you don't need a ton of thrust.

Also Also, is anyone else getting an out of perm gen memory when placing an IC2 machine?

If no one can fix this, I am going to have to redo the client again :P
    I havent played minecraft is nearly 4 months o.o

• How much thrust do they output IRL? :P

Look at my post again. It's there. "330 kN" (the unit used in KSP is kN)

• Official Post

Look at my post again. It's there. "330 kN" (the unit used in KSP is kN)

Yes, but compared to conventional rocket engines :P

• Yes, but compared to conventional rocket engines :P

Oh, sorry. The Space Shuttle's main engines had a thrust of ~2090 kN in vaccum (http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/system/system_SSME.html)
    The Falcon 9's second-stage engine has a thrust of 801 kN (http://www.spacex.com/falcon9).
    The RL10B-2 Engine has a thrust of 110 kN (http://www.rocket.com/rl10-engine-0).