Posts by Thutmose

On the topic of radioactive decays, these are the general forms of decay:

1) cluster decay. This results in the nucleus releasing 1 or more smaller nuclei, The most common form of this is also known as Alpha decay (the smaller nucleus in this case is a helium nucleus, energy is usually about 5MeV.

2) Beta decay. This comes in two forms, Beta+ and Beta-. Beta- is this: n -> p + w-, w- -> e- + ve, Beta+ is this: p -> n + w+, w+ -> e+ + ve (where the ve should have a bar over it*). The total energy here is usually about 1 MeV, but since the neutrino is not usually detected, the energy of the beta particle (the e- or e+) ranges from 0-1MeV.

n is Neutron, p is proton, e is electron (- for standard, + for positron/antielectron), ve is an electron neutrino, a bar over it would be an anti-electron neutrino, but no idea how to make a bar over the v.

3) Electron Capture. This is basically an alternate route for Beta+, and is sometimes energetically favourable over it. This is as follows: p + e- -> n + ve, There is a w- involved somewhere in there, but not quite sure where. The neutrino produced carries most of the about 1MeV, though a gamma ray may take some too.

4) Internal transition. This is the nucleus re-arranging itself, and results in the emission of a gamma ray or two.

Of the above decays, 1,2 and 3 can also produce a gamma ray if needed to conserve spin or momentum.

*Technically the v should be the greek letter nu, but not sure how to put that in here. Also, if one theory about neutrinos is correct, then anti-neutrinos are the same as neutrinos, and the equation i gave is correct without the bar.

Redstone related suggestion:

Have 3 redstone machine blocks.

one block could be a UI block, It just has a bunch of switches/buttons in it, which then tell the other blocks which line of redstone is on (say have up to 16 different lines, they could interact with redpower bundled cables if possible).

another block could be the logic block. In the UI of this block, something similar to the reactorplanner (but with logic gates instead of reactor components) could be used to build a circuit, which can have up to 16 inputs and 16 outputs, the inputs coming from the previous block or a cable like the RP2 bundled cables .

The third would be the output block. The UI on this block could then select which of the 16 redstone signals get output to which side (or just output to a bundled cable like thing).

You could probably also implement this all into 1 block, where it acts as input block if normally right clicked, but acts like the logic/output block if right clicked with a tool.

I pondered how to code this for a second, then realized damn, that would probably be pretty hard to code, do you have any idea on how you are going to implement something like this?

If it refers to a block that cloaks any player in the area, then probably just copy the beacon code and apply invisibility.

If it refers to cloaking other things, then no clue, probably something to do with if outside the area, make the blocks render like what generates there by default, and if inside the area you see what is really there?

No shit sherlock! ^^ I just meant, that Positron + Electron will anihilate if you try to put those together, because they're attracted by each other, where you can't make 2 proton meet because the energy needed to make one move to the other increase while distance decrease, and because it tend to +*Idon'tknowhowtotypetheinfinitesymbol* when distance tend to 0.

And that's what I told, di-neutron is unstable just because it's nothing else than 2 neutrons. [and I don't think there is something else than gravitation between these 2 particles]

Two neutrons are unstable due to the binding energy not being sufficient to prevent the natural decay of a neutron (n -> p + w-, w- -> e- + ve). If you have a nucleus consisting of about 10^50 or so neutrons, it is stable (aka a neutron star), gravity provides the needed binding energy.

Two protons can be bonded together, the problem is that the energy stored in the electromagnetic force from doing so is sufficient to "spawn" a positron and an electron neutrino, which allows the following reaction to occur: p -> n + w+, w+ -> e+ + ve (there should be a bar over that last ve, but no idea how to do that with this text editor)

This results in the di-proton rapidly decaying into deuterium.

Antimatter/matter annihilation occurs as the net spin/charge/colour(QCD "charge")/etc is zero when a particle meets its anti-particle. This allows for the system to turn into any system with the same net number of the above quantities, where the most stable thing to turn into would be photons (two photons needed). This results in all of the energy of the pair of particles being converted into photons going on opposite directions.

Here are some links to suggestions I made on the main GT thread, I will probably just update this post rather than making new ones.

[Addon][IC² 1.106 - 1.116] GregTech-Addon: Taking Industry to a whole new Level of complexity! WorldGen/New ores (along the same theme as your river salts and gold from dirt idea)

[Addon][IC² 1.106 - 1.116] GregTech-Addon: Taking Industry to a whole new Level of complexity! More realistic way of generating elements with fusion reactor (Will update that post with more reactions) This could also work in a fission reactor as well.

idea looks good, but one thing to point out: Most RTGs irl use plutonium, and are extremely easy to shield the radiation from, as they mainly emit alpha radiation, which is mostly harmless if it is outside your body (skin blocks it). the same is true for uranium and thorium, as the gamma produced from their decay is minimal. The main reason why coal plants result in such a high effective background radiation (still less than average background) is that the uranium and thorium are dispersed into the air, where they can be breathed in, which is where alpha radiation becomes the most dangerous (maybe second most, after certain specific energies of neutron radiation)

edit: another thing to note: RTGs produce significantly less energy/mass of fuel over their life time than an induced fission system. This is due to the significantly greater change in size of nuclei for the fission over the decay method. Fission systems are also much more energy efficient for the stage after heat production, as they produce enough heat to use conventional steam systems, which are on the order of 30-40% efficient for thermal -> electric, whereas RTGs struggle to get much higher than 10% for thermal -> electric. The primary advantages of RTGs are small size and lack of moving parts, which allow them to be used in places which the larger, conventional plants cannot be used.

Javascap:
    -The space suit is a nice first draft, but it could use a bit more detail. The back is also a bit asymmetrical. Other than that, nice job!
    -The Mechanism is planned to be a purely mechanical component. There will also be various circuit boards, so there's no need for wires. I can see how multiple gears would be an issue - if that proves too difficult, maybe a gyro or other nice-looking mechanical gadget?
    -The RS drills are intended to be superior pickaxes that consume fuel as a balancing mechanism. They'll still break, unlike IC2's drills, but their durability and mining speed are significantly better than a pickaxe of the same material. When crafted, a drill has no engine, so you'll need to install one using a Tinkering Bench before you can use the drill. Different engines and fuels grant different bonuses. The bench can also be used to install up to four upgrades ("Fragment Vacuum" and "Computerized Deposit Locator" grant Fortune I and II respectively, "Jackhammer Piston" grants Efficiency III, "Superconducting Bearings" grants Efficiency I and Unbreaking II, "Polymer Lubricant" grants Unbreaking II, etc.) with cumulative enchantment effects, plus effects that don't exist in vanilla enchantments (once you unlock nanotech in a future version, you can create self-repairing tools). Engines and upgrades can be retrieved from a broken drill before it's scrapped. Currently there are five drills planned: iron, steel, diamond-tipped steel, superalloy, and hybrid (diamond-tipped superalloy).

Thutmose: Heh, I appreciate you taking the time to type out that lecture, but I already know all of that. Recently got my recent Master's in nuclear engineering. :)

(But yes, there will be multiple varieties of fusion reactor in RS, all of which will be large multi-block structures. Once I have time to resume the project in earnest I'll go more into detail about the power plant mechanics I have planned)

Cool, Good to know it is being made by someone who is already very well acquainted with the field.

one question: do you know whether they are still planning on using a graphite substrate for the beryllium/lithium in the ITER or have they found a better way to plate it? Last time I had access to the info they were still researching the sputtering effects with graphite.

Since you mentioned having a research system planned, then you should incorporate that into different types of fusion reactor.

The main reason why we do not (as of 2013) have a working, positive gain fusion reactor is lack of knowledge of the specific motion of the fusion plasma in a Tokamak. The ITER (not finished yet) should be large enough to average out most of the instabilities, and supercomputers (like TITAN) are currently being used to attempt to simulate the instabilities to account for them before the ITER is turned on. <-- This is very good for large installations that need to produce and consume large amounts of power, but needs very good computer to run.

The reason why we do not have a Polywell reactor as of 2013 is a combination of lack of funding (we are fairly certain a large enough tokamak will work, polywells are still unconfirmed) and a lack of the required electromagnets needed to generate the field geometry which will contain the electrons in the centre of the chamber, the actual fusion part will be contained electrostatically, which can be done very very easily (can make it work for low power in a bell jar, the problem for higher power is decay of the inner negative grid, hence using contained electrons). <--- This gives good prerequisite technology for propulsion system (see below) but does not scale as well as the above, and requires superconducting electromagnets.

Example: A polywell reactor (electrostatic inertial fusion confinement + magnetic inner electron "grid" confinement) would require more advanced electromagnets (and arrangement thereof) than a Tokamak, but would require much less in the way of computer simulations. Both are scalable, though the Tokamak might be better scaled for extremely large devices, both also have a minimum starting size, though the polywell requires much lower starting energy, and no need for a heating system, just need for a small high voltage power supply to maintain the electric field for acceleration.

Also: the polywell reactor technology will be very applicable to a propulsion system, as utilizing the same electron confinement method one could build a high flux ion drive engine (plasma thruster, but higher specific impulse than the normal kind), and not worry about the current problem of grid decay.

This gives two main types of reactor: The tokamak design for ground based, high power systems and the polywell design for the ship.

maybe do wood + macerator => wood pulp (or sawdust for compatibility to other things) then have a woodpulp/sawdust => plantball recipe similar to the other plantball recipes, then could balance the number of pulp to number of plantballs.

ye but the cooking would require a new machine

some of them could probably do with just cooking the plant in a furnace, the rest could be cafted with say bonemeal, or some other renewable material, then have the result cooked in the furnace.

Or, alternately add some sorta recipe to turn wood and other plant materials into plant balls?

this mod is not supposed to be extravagant, I only want it to add a simple yet balenced way to make various materials renewably

hence my suggestion not requiring any new machines. I do like the current system, I was giving a suggestion which would allow for random other organic things to be converted, by adding some sorta recipe for cooking them into carbon.

I will consider adding a way for wood to be used to make diamonds, but I'm not going to add in a whole new machine for burning plants

the way I mentioned doesn't need a new machine, it uses compressor and furnace, use furnace to get the carbon dust, then use compressor to make it into the diamonds after compressing a few times.

If I was going to suggest a new machine, it would be a CVD (chemical vapour deposition) machine for growing diamonds, which can produce fairly large diamonds in a few days.

I had an idea earlier to the effect of this, which makes the process a little more based on reality, (not that that's ever been very important in Minecraft) as well as allowing wood to be used in this process as well.

Instead of using straight plantballs, you would instead be able to burn plantballs for some amount of charcoal. (perhaps configurable in the config, by default, let's say you get 3 per plantball) You'd then have to macerate charcoal into charcoal dust (maybe integrate into charcoal dust mod?) and craft nine of these in a crafting table, to receive a Big Pile of Charcoal Dust. Compressing this yields a Charcoal Ball, and after that, the recipes are completely configurable in the config, with around 4-5 items added by this mod, to represent ever larger amounts of compressed charcoal (Not all of which are used by default).
    By default, the recipes go: 8 charcoal dust + 1 Charcoal Ball (9 charcoal) = 1 Lump of Charcoal (17 charcoal), which is then compressed into 1 coal. This may sound OP at first, but consider that it would take 1088 (17 stacks of) pieces of wood to make one diamond in this way, slightly more then the total number of plant material currently needed, and 2901.3 (45.3 stacks) of other plant material, which should be reduced... buuuut, the plantballs to charcoal ratio above already provides over TWICE as much EU per plant versus biofuel cans... Maybe if it instead directly gave charcoal dust, it could be a higher plants to charcoal ratio?

Also, if you really wanted to be a hippie sustainability advocate, you could also add recipes which allow you to use more charcoal/coal to replace flint and bricks/iron/obsidian in the later steps.

I was going to suggest something very similar to this. Have each carbon based plant material yield a certain amount of carbon dust (the charcoal dust would work), then balance the plant/diamond off a carbon dust / diamond based system.

having some sort of cooking involved would make sense, as you would want to remove the non carbon components of the plant (mainly water). I would say cook plant ball -> 1 carbon dust then 8 carbon dust -> carbon chunk (in compressor) then 8 carbon chunk -> 8 dense carbon chunk -> diamond (in compressor). This would then take 512 plant balls, or 8 stacks of them to make 1 diamond. for using non-plant ball materials, say have the recipe be X plants -> 1 carbon dust (in furnace), where X corresponds to the rarity of the plant.

This would allow the system to handle a wide variety of plants, including those which cannot be turned into plant balls.

This way you can more easily add a bunch of different plants (ie mod compatability) by just adding a carbon dust value to their plants.

I am fairly certain that any reactor that needs less than about 14.5-15 cooling/free slot should be able to get to mark - 1, that one needed 14.05. Exceptions might be strange arrangements that do not allow for tilable arrangements of the gold vents, and some designs may be coolable up to a limit around 16-20 cooling/slot.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/…eration-updated-dec-21st/

This can remove any block and replace it with any other block. I still havent finished re-writing the script since redpower updated, and have some problems as i do not know what all of the ores are named (so have to use item ids).

I like this as i can make the bauxite into large subsurface deposits and can make ores spawn in the correct area relative to others, still haven't tested if i can get gregtech nether ores to spawn in RP2 volcanoes.

@ the antimatter suggestion.

Antimatter is useless for power generation, as it costs more energy to make than you will get out of it. This is due to the fact that the energy you get out is mainly due to the rest mass energy, which was supplied by your production facility in the first place. Then your generator is not going to be 100% efficient, so the antimatter ends up losing more energy than it creates.

The only energy related use for antimatter is a portable, very high energy density device, such as a bomb. Note that fusion is actually a better power supply for spacecraft propulsion, as the fuel is more easily stored (i.e. Highly compressed tanks of D and T), as opposed to the extreme difficulty in storing the needed large amounts of antimatter.