Posts by Thutmose

Here are my reactor designs, I will update this post with any changes or additions

All of these designs have either been tested in game in a reactor, or in a GregTech computer cube.

Thorium based Safe breeder

This breeder reactor recharges over 400 uranium cells per thorium, will never explode, and does not damage the player. Note: Due to the computer cube not working properly for breeders, this one officially "does not count"

Mark 1 7/7 reactor

140EU/t
    The only thing on this that is GregTech are the neutron reflectors, but I linked it as a use for all of the uranium cells bred using the above reactor. (note, I managed to make one of these on my hardcore map, while i was working on the iridium reflectors, i ran it with a bunch of single uranium cells instead.)

Mark 1 3.33/5 reactor

200 EU/t
    If copper is low, but uranium cells are abundant (due to using the breeder i linked) This is what can be used if no iridium reflectors are available.

Mark 1 Plutonium Reactor

280EU/t
    Finally fixed the error i had in the cooling.

Fixed the "bad idea" reactor:

112EU/t mark 1 7/7 reactor

The Portapack : 32EU/t, 3.2/5 Thorium based reactor, for your low voltage outpost power needs.

Note: this could be arranged to get 33EU/t, with 1 less thorium cell (3.67/5) but then would no longer qualify for a LV supply (I use this to provide steam for my engines powering my oil wells).
    33EU/t, notsoPortapack

The Single Reactor Plutonium Pack : 70EU/t out of one block. Downaide? only 2.33 efficiency. Upside? 70EU/t, and cheap.

For those of you who have giant reserves of iridium neutron reflectors:

The Pricey single chamber Plutonium Pack : 50EU/t, 5/5 reactor.

for some reason, someone wanted a mark-1 reactor with 2 quad plutonium cells, well here it is: dual-Quad-Pu

I will place my various reactor designs here.

Here is the current system which I use to breed all the fuel for my uranium reactors: Note: it uses a thorium cell from GregTech. Also, works best with an automatic system for feeding it depleted cells, as well as to turn it off when you run out of cells.

Thorium Breeder 1

Details:
    Maintains a steady heat of approximately 64k
    recharges 440 depleted cells per thorium cell.
    Main problem would be obtaining the 1395 copper needed (i sent my turtles to go remove a few chunks from existence)
    Does not damage players who get near it.

Here is the reactor Which i use to consume the uranium bred above.

Mark 1 High efficiency reactor

Details:
    140EU/t
    Efficiency 7

notes: works better with GregTech iridium neutron reflectors, as those do not need replacing every cycle.

Is there anything you can do about the computercraft recipes? I would like if the turtles were a bit more expensive, atm it feels a bit cheap using them for managing my reactors and breeding fuel, but they are so useful for when you have a breeder that runs at 64k, keeping that full is tedious (I know I could do it with gregtech stuff as well, but haven't got the translocators and crafting network finished yet)

:rolleyes:

Small rant time...

A lot of people know I have a personal feud against GregTech. I just didn't bring it here because the less-knowing audience would accuse me of hating it as a developer, but I do as a player. I helped Tahg collect proof to convince Slowpoke into disabling it by default in the main FTB pack. It boils down to the ridiculous points:

• Rejected suggestions (lightning rod, fusion reactor, mining helmet, tier 4 storage...)
    • Electric allocators because the author is too impatient to wait for RP, or dislikes BC
    • Electric block breaker which uses a lot of power, because the author has a terrible computer. I play Minecraft on a GMA X4500, which gives me 15 fps in a regular world (but 100+ on flatlands), going down to 5 on bad areas, and optifine only helps a bit
    • EDIT: Machines which automate stuff that should not be automated, like crop harvesting
    • Giving capes to donators
    • Talking trash about mod authors, including me
    • Last but not least, the recipe tampering. A nether fortress and a bunch of slimes before you can get a mining drill? Really?

I get a little annoyed when that mod is mentioned, due to the fact it's a devious kid that I go against. But trust me, it's only a small feud.

you don't need the slimes or the nether fortress for the drill, all you need is a greg-tech industrial blast furnace, everything for that is from the overworld.

edit: even if it did need slimes, those things are extremely common now, they spawn in swamps

also, on the auto harvesting front, i gather you dislike forestry and computercraft too then?

try first charging an MFE then connecting the elctrolyser only to the MFE, it should contain enough energy to finish the job, and be able to provide the power needed, a continuous 128 eu/t is needed

someone had asked about setups for the nuclear reactor using some of the new components? here is a breeder design that, if you replace that uranium cell with a thorium one should produce some very large amounts of enriched isotope cells. I still need to gather a bit more copper to finish off the plates needed to make it so that i don't take damage, but i will start testing this design shortly.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ifupdjflin2lp1ynan4qne7wj

assuming thorium produces 1/5 the heat of uranium, that design should work. unfortunately, the G-cube does not seem to work correctly for breeders, it instantaneously replaces the depleted cells with enriched.

ok, so got that setup and running and it definitely breeds uranium cells very quickly. It seems to be thermally stable, with the core temp sitting around 64000 heat.

side note: it should be possible to centrifuge plutonium out of re-enriched uranium cells, as that is what is produced when you stick depleted uranium inside a fast neutron reactor.

Could you please implement some way to contain steam from RailCraft? (Such as the Gas Tanks I suggested earlier). It would be awesome in getting rid of Buildcrash.

quantum tank should do that

concerning the radiation produced when a nuclear reactor/nuke explodes: is it possible to make it so that if the reactor is inside a room lined with a certain block, that the effects of the radiation do not leave the room? ie, could you introduce lead plating blocks that shield against radiation? This would be an interesting precursor to possible machines that emit radiation while running, and need to be in shielded rooms (player can wear some sorta shielded armour to negate the effects)

utility ores is the metllury package that includes magnesium, phosphorus, saltpeter, potash, sulphur and bitumen.

also, even if the quantum tank can hold the steam, the main problem is getting the steam enough turbines to be a viable alternative to non steam. each turbine only gives 50 eu/t and needs 2 pipes of steam to it (assuming you use the industrial pipes), which means you need a vey large number of steam turbines for a large power plant, and is not feasible to manage the steam piping for the 20 turbines need for 1000 eu/t ( not to mention all the steel spent running that)

it would be much cheaper and easier to run 20 mark-1 reactors and 1 breeder, than to do the steam system.

I put tungsten dust in an industrial blast furnace (that works, I created steel with it before) that is connected to 128EU but nothing happens.
    What I notice is that in the recipe it mentions 2500k heat capacity, but the blast furnace only displays 1020k.

What am I doing wrong? I need tunsten ingots.

you need to use better machine casings, check the wiki for how much heat capacity you get for each type.

on the steam topic:

the main problem is that currently a nuclear reactor can be made to sustain some very high power outputs, with the steam turbines, and with valve pipes, the most you can get out of a nuclear reactor is about 300 EU/t. This output can be achieved with only 4 uranium cells, as it utilizes the bug where each reactor chamber outputs the full amount. The same exact reactor with glass fibre cables, utilizing the same bug, gets 360EU/t. To use a nuclear reactor in steam mode, would require it to output more than the non steam mode version, as it consumes steel in the form of turbines, as well as consuming fuel.

question for Greg:

are there any planned uses for manganese? or should i turn it all into steel via the metallurgy recipe?

also, is there any planned support for metallurgy utility ores, or are they not registered with FOD?

Actually you can use an add-on of buildcraft by denoflions called Valve pipes for the high capacity pipe; It has the Industrial waterproof pipe that have I don't remember 2 or 4 times capacity of normal gold waterproof pipe.. so 2 industrial pipes can provide steam for 100% power of steam turbine.. but that is still too much because fusion reactor only have 2 outputs IIRC...

I do use that addon, and it still isn't enough steam capacity to properly use a nuclear reactor. what is needed is a pipe of about 40 or so times the capacity of a gold pipe. Also, my proposed change to the fusion reactor would make the ring shaped construction be what outputs the steam (the interior walls would get hot, and water is piped into them to make the steam), so you would have many many more places to stick pipes

Small problem: The fusion reactor is one block (since the coils do not produce steam) so it has 6 sides. One gold waterproof pipe can carry 40 steam units/tick, so you can output 240 steam/tick.
    The Railcraft steam turbine uses 160 steam/tick and produce 50 eu/t.
    So your hypothetical steam fusion reactor can't produce more than 75 eu/t.

Edit: Manganese dust is mislabelled as "Mercury dust". It can be converted into "tiny piles of manganese dust" and has the symbol Mn.

that is why one of my ideas was a higher capacity pipe that only allows steam.

Do you have plans for an upgraded version of the generator? With the way things currently are, methane burning seems like it can get rather space-consuming rather quickly... Not to mention the logistics of keeping all those generators supplied.

I am hoping that he adds a steam turbine similar to railcraft's, but with different rotor types. then he can make various power source produce varying amounts of steam, then you could have a multi-block structure that you burn your methane in, to produce the copious amounts of steam to get power :D

edit: for the phosphor comment, that is a different chemical, i don't know of its use in iron production. CaO is used to make the slag in the blast furnace, along with CaCO3

It's not implemented yet. And I think fusion is more appropriate to create Nucleus from smaller nucleus. Particle accelerator is meant to "destroy" particle in order to see what can happen, i.e to discover(or produce for gregtech ^^) new things. Particle accelerator is already planned (but not before months ^^) and would probably create Antimatter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesis_of_precious_metals

if you are doing this the normal way, then it would use neutron bombardment produced from the normal operation of the fission or fusion reactors. This method does not require the use of the lithium. If you are using lithium, then it would probably be more efficient to do controlled bombardment of tungsten with lithium in a particle accelerator, rather than uncontrolled thermal bombardments which would occur in the fusion reactor (the uncontrolled thermal collisions will more likely destroy the iridium as create it, as splitting a tungsten atom in half would result in a more stable isotope, after undergoing beta decay)

edit reason why the tungsten would most likely split:

the atomic mass of tungsten is about 180, the most stable elements are mass 56, where any smaller or bigger is less stable. therefore under high energy bombardment the tungsten is more likely to undergo fission than fusion. Using a particle accelerator, the energy of the incoming beam can be set such that you maximize the probability of fusion, and minimize that of fission. In a magnetically confined thermal fusion reactor, the energy of the particles involved has a much wider distribution, so it would be much much more difficult to set up an efficient method for the production of heavy elements.

edit: why it works in supernovae to produce heavy elements:

there will always be a very small portion of the low probability fusion occurring. in the case of a super nova, you have so much matter involved that an apreiciable amount is produced, relative to humans. relative to the star, there are practically no elements heavier than iron produced.

yep steam reactors disable electrical cable hookup to reactors.

Unless you got a small reactor set up steam reactors are very inefficient for larger set ups.

I am hoping railcraft introduces a more advanced version of its turbine, that uses more steam, but produces more EU/t, as i really like the steam setup for the reactors.

Edit: idea for GregTech:

Introduce a turbine like the railcraft ones, that uses steam (lots and lots of steam), and have the fusion reactor be able to produce an absurdly large amount of steam. This would allow for the fusion reactor to operate in a more realistic manner.

You could have the steam turbine use different types of rotor, where each rotor changes the EU/t and EU/p output, and requires differing amounts of steam.

Also: move the wolfram + lithium -> iridium recipe over to a particle accelerator.