Posts by SegFaulter

How about a simple machine for you pricks who want OP lightning rods...
    A very expensive machine that "outputs 512 EU/t" (atleast that is what the wiki would tell you, of course... (along with ''WARNING: VERY EXPERIMENTAL TECHNOLOGY. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK'')) and it works by collecting lightning, but when it's struck with a single bolt, it suddenly sends 64 packets of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 EU into the E-Net and into any cables that are less than 64 blocks away, and at the same time explodes with the force of 1,337 Tsar bombs (google it: Tsar Bomba).
    That ought to shut 'em up... (in reality, no, they won't shut up - they'll just rage all over the forums/wiki, but that just means more people to add to the ban list - isn't banning people fun anyways?) (actually, now that I think about it, they'll be too busy ragequitting/crying (about their molten blob of overheated computer parts that used to be a computer, but melted from the heat of so many tasks and calculations running all at once, from the lag from the explosion of the lightning collection machine) to post anything anywhere. Not to mention the fact that they'd have to get a new computer to even post anything anywhere again, haha.)

This mod causes a crash upon loading. Crash log:

I hope that it's not because I already have 41 mods, I really want to keep them all...

When trying to dismantle a few machines in my old base, to move them to a new one, I encountered issues with wrenching machines to retrieve them. Some of them were turned to machine blocks, and all of that stuff in them was wasted. And with GregTech, it seems to ''boost'' that loss chance very high, making it nearly impossible to move to a new base without making all of the machines again.
    So, I have an idea. I think that there should be a config file option for machine wrench loss (enabled, true or false) and an option for the loss chance value (only applies if machine wrench loss = true). This would solve the issue for many, and server owners can customize it to give players more freedom for moving machines with a low loss rate, or to make it more complex and require players to be careful with machines and have a high loss rate.
    Any support?

I'd just like to say, that this is an awesome addon that makes power-conversion a lot easier, and allows many more awesome ways to make MJ/EU. One of those awesome ways, for example:

(yes, that's a V-32 Combustion generator. It outputs a few thousand EU per second, and that's at startup temperature of the individual ''engines''. No, this was not made in survival mode, this was a creative-mode test to see if it's possible for it to work properly. Now,to make it in survival mode...)
    Just think of all of the awesome but practical things that can be made with the stuff this addon adds. The possibilities are nearly endless...
    Thank you Snyke, for making this awesome addon. We will never have to rely on the inefficient GregTech Diesel Generator to make EU in a cool industrial way other than nuclear power, nor will we ever have to use the powerwasters-mod that dumps 20% of all converted power into the Void. All because of your countless hours of work polishing this awesome addon. Thank you.

It could be as simple as a block that always makes sure that radiation blocks are around it at all times, unless removed, and radiation blocks are simply invisible, non-flowing, non-suffocating lava that harms you depending on it's ''intensity''. Kinda like a cactus with no collision box.

Also, to make it not be laggy, the updates for placing/removing radiation field blocks should be very slow, like one every few seconds. This will keep lag very low, and can only be noticeable if you have 100,000 orso Uranium blocks surrounded with air and machinery that makes flowing water flow at random around the blocks (thus causing the Uranium blocks to update it's radiation field every time a flowing water block appears/disappears)

Sounds awesome. You may need to somehow add metadata to blocks that allows them to simulate radiation at distances (for example, a chest with information for it being radioactive causes it to cause radiation to players with more intensity as they get closer to the chest). Or, you can replace air with ''radiation field'' around radioactive blocks, that the player can breathe in, but will be affected by the radiation.

Technically, all developers of addons of IndustrialCraft2 could be considered part of the "development team", as the addons here make IC2 more customizeable to one's preferences and add more to the IC2 network in general. Also, all of the IC/IC2 addons would not exist without the IC developers making IC and then IC2, as there would be no IC/IC2 for them to add on to.

On another part of this topic, I do agree with the idea of this thread, IC and IC2 are very awesome mods and my thanx go to the developers that made it all possible.

Why not simply put some Plutonium blocks surrounded by Uranium blocks, and CAREFULLY place some Nitroglycerin tanks surrounding the Uranium/Plutonium assembly? (or just TNT if resources are scarce)

Well, I have been playing with the steam output reactors for a while, and I see that it's not really that HAYO-ish. I have an idea to make it better, so if you can spare a few minutes, please continue reading.

Basically, the idea states that, when steam-outputting reactors are enabled in the config file, the inventory space of the reactor is reduced to a 1x6 grid, increasing by another 1x6 column for every adjacent chamber, with the grid shoved to the far left side of the GUI. Here, only uranium cells can be placed, no other components work. (maybe even disabling crafting of other components when the config option is enabled...). In the remaining space, there are two liquid-bars, one for steam and one for water. Here's a rough example of a complete reactor's GUI:

The 7x6 grid is for the single/dual/quad Uranium cells. In the upper-right corner, there are two liquid bars. The left one holds water, the right one holds steam. The little bar under the left one shows the steam production (how hot the water is, not the hull - starts at 0, reactor starts making some steam at 25%, and steam production rises from there). And the little ''Hull heat'' text kinda describes itself - all it does is read the reactor's hull temperature and output the value, in percent, where 0% = 0 and 100% = meltdown.

Basically, As long as there is water in the reactor, it heats water into steam rather than dispersing the heat to the reactor hull. But, if there is no more water to heat into steam, the heat is dispersed into the hull. Also, if the reactor is shut down when heat is in the hull, the heat will be used to boil water into steam, until it either runs out of heat, or runs out of water.

At 25% steam production, 8 heat = 1 steam, 50% is 4 heat = 1 steam, 75% is 2 heat = 1 steam, and 100% is 1 heat = 1 steam.

Also, it may be somehow possible to make a bigger GUI (I have seen it in other mods), allowing more room for the water/steam bars, and steam production bar.

If you like the idea, or have an idea to make the idea better, please leave a reply. Thank you for reading.

It seems to be crashing. But it's not a problem with the mod - it turns out that too many block IDs are taken up, but other than that, it would, in theory, work perfectly fine.
    Time to remove crap I don't use/need...
    Also, is it, by any chance, possible to increase the number of open IDs, to keep this problem from happening?

Or you could use the dev version which is for 1.4.6. Redpower usually does end up being the best transport method for this, mainly due to the sorting machines. you would want to be using redpower logic anyway for the timing (computercraft doesn't work, since the timer resets when the server restarts)

Then I will go ahead and update all 29 mods that I have...

I use RP2.

Filters and Retrievers only look to see if the items have a damage value, not what that precise value is. So I have eight damaged cells in my Filter, and eight non-damaged cells in my Retriever. It pulses both simultaneously, via redpower bundled cable and colored insulated red alloy wire.

I wrote a ComputerCraft program to run the whole thing. It uses rp.setBundledOutput for most of the functions. While it is running, it sets the output for the color attached to the reactor itself as 'on' for one cycle. Then it turns it off, pulses the filter and retriever once, waits for a redstone signal from the item detector to make SURE they are actually IN the reactor, then turns itself back on. It generally takes all of about two seconds.

Okay, that's awesome. Now do something kind and give the community a link to where we can download RP2 for Minecraft v1.4.5, if you don't mind.

This is certainly an interesting idea, However, I don't think this will ever manage to be more efficient than DDoS of HVC reactors, as they require less movement, and use more efficient cooling configurations. this might work, though if the hull is used as a heat sink, though cooling that would require a very complex setup that would be difficult to automate.

However - with my experiments, I have found that it is impossible to remove the coolant cells from a DDoS reactor at the exact time required, even with GregTech machines. I think that it's also the same for HVC reactors, as it works basically the same way with translocators. Thus, I reason that, since fuel rods don't skip reactor pulses, it may be possible to remove the fuel rods without error. However - this still may not work, depending on how fast GregTech machines can think...

a 100% cool cell has no damage value. as for the nearly melted one, you will have to run a cycle for the amount of time you plan for your microcycles to be, and read it off of those cells.

Yep, I have almost got it working. Only problem is, the advanced translocator is not removing the coolant cells and replacing them, because they keep skipping the damage values of what it is told to remove from the reactor. If only there was a way to ensure the removal of the coolant cells at the exact time they should be removed...

That's it! I never noticed that Advanced Translocators had the option of damage value. Now, I shall go forth to build a reactor with this design! Thank you!
    Also, what's the approx. damage value of a 100% cool cell and a nearly-melted cell?

After relentless weeks of trying to create a Mark-I, efficient, high-energy-output reactor (to no avail, of course), I have given up on trying to get a lot of EU from a closed-core reactor that has no outside connections to anything but the E-net and maybe a lever to turn it on/off. Instead of wasting time, I will take a different approach...

The idea is, to create a powerplant that can produce a lot of EUs, by cramming a reactor full of Fuel Rod Assemblies (quad Uranium-cells) until it gets too hot, then replacing the FRAs with powerful heat vents and cramming the FRAs into an identical reactor, until it overheats - where the cycle starts over, and the FRAs/heat vents swap places.

But, due to the large amount of heat created, this will probably require three or four reactors, and only one running at a time while the other two (or three) cool down. I already have some ''schematics'' of a basic idea for the reactors and cooling them.
    Here's the one with the FRAs inside:
    link
    And then the one with the heat vents:
    link

However, these do use GregTech items. If you don't use GregTech, fear not, you can just use some containment platings (or other platings/items) to take the space of the Iridium Neutron-reflectors, although that slightly decreases the EU output. Also you are free to make any designs for the reactors that you like.

Only problem with this is, we have yet to find a working way to automate this.
    -Gregtech machines might accidentally remove the heat vents that are put into a reactor, thinking that the vent should be put into the next reactor prematurely, thus you get melted heat vents and a really, really big crater where your powerplant was.
    -LogisticsPipes don't know when to operate and when to not, so that's out aswell
    -Etc.

Not to mention the fact that this will ALSO use up a massive amount of resources, being another problem, so don't imagine building one of these unless you are firmly established in your world/server and have the resources to start with.

This idea is not yet ''working'', so if you have an idea on how to properly automate a powerplant like this, please post your ideas.
    (but, do note that I and many others do not use really old and outdated/redundant mods like RedPower, so if a mod has something that works for this, but it has not been updated in a very long time, it may not be helpful to the majority of us)
    Thank you for reading this post, feel free to reply about your thoughts and ideas.