Posts by Zerrens

I've finally had a chance to do some legitimate in-game field testing with this mod and particularly the Gregtech recipes in my singleplayer world, and here's my notes: (I have MJ/EU to 0.5, down from 50)
    •Recipes are fine, especially since you really only need to do them a few times.
    •Originally I thought overclocking the low tier armor and the batteries was a waste of weight, but the new walking speed compensation really is a lifesaver. I've got 4 FULLLY OVERCLOCKED basic plating (freaking heavy), 2 half overclocked MV caps and 2 default LV caps, and my weight is tank-tier. Walking is a chore, and jumping is silly, so I installed the sprint assist and jump assist. I can now move at quicker than default speed at the cost of energy consumption. (quite a bit, but it feels right for using 4x basic plating. I can scale down later when I use advanced or E-shield.)
    •I'm a freakin' tank, painted my armor dark gray (60%, 60%, 60%) and have 20/20 armor. It's awesome. Really feels good to be customizable.
    •My tools draw fine from my armor, including Greg's jackhammer and your own powertool

My chest augment is just the glider at the moment and was in the nether (mind you, I'm still at 54kg weight) and was surprised at how balls my glider was. REALLY makes you think about your augments.
    The sense of balance is much better than that of most other mods. With the suit, you can do anything, but you can't do everything.

+1

May have found a bug with the new flight control module: With just a helmet and a chest on, the jetpack takes the energy it should, however when you activate the control module the jetpack stops taking energy and is essentially free flight. This was tested with only a chest with a HV cap. + jetpack and a helmet with NO energy storage device, but the control module installed.

Sometimes the simplest of solutions is the best. I didn't even think of doing that honestly, not many no mods that I know of have as good of a key binding system as yours.
    Also, thanks for explaining in your comments how things are working and why. I went over your source code to try to get a better understanding and expand my own knowledge and I'm learning just what forge and minecraft allow. My mod just had some simple explosive, torch, and aoe fire arrows when I was doing that :P

I had my suspicions about that. Personally I would still like to see it as a module for sneaky sneaky pvp/thievery and just emulate the transparent armor module too when it's on!
    Something about mob senses being higher than a humans and can detect camouflage.. :whistling:

Seems to be just single player.

Invisibility is mostly PvP oriented in a way, but it works against monsters unless you bump into them. Now here's the problem: if you're wearing armor, mobs can see you from farther away, for each piece of armor you put on. (no armor you have to bump them, 2 pieces is about 6 blocks, and 4 pieces is more than 10 blocks away). Greg does something with his cloaking device (chest armor) that makes all other pieces of armor invisible as well, but doesn't reduce the sight radius of monsters, so it's almost purely PvP. holy derp transparency module batman

Much less crashy (100% actually). :)

The module is pretty adamant on messing with me. It eats 1kW/s when on just fine and none when off, and SAYS I'm invisible (stuck at 24s).. but I'm still pretty visible. (the invisibility potion works as normal, though)

Edit:
    Okay I'm convinced you're part mind reading robot, as you've predicted what I'm gonna say seconds in advance.

Two things of note:
    •The active camo module isn't working for me at the moment, refusing to do anything even when turned off and on again
    •Shift clicking a piece of armor that has energy (a piece without a capacitor works just fine) causes a crash and prevents the world from being relogged into.
    Pastebin log here of the crash aftermath
    On 1.4.7 with forge 6.6.0.518

No sparkles in SSP, didn't test SMP yet.
    That price sounds completely reasonable, as well.

The only question here is how would it work? Would it be toggled via keybind (default off), or be activated via keybind for a short period of time (tinkerable duration and 'speed threshold' for sprint speed before it overloads as well), then turn itself off after the set time? (constant energy drain when active, and/or a cooldown period for the burst version?)
    High speed sprinting or high jumps might overload it, causing it to shut off.

Just thinking out loud, here.

Edit:
    WOW YOU'RE FAST, GEEZE

I'll be your guinea pig any time! :P
    Also oh my, the night vision is, from what I can tell, flawless. You even managed to put the effect on without the 'potion effect'. No particles, no problem. I couldn't manage that with my foray into modding.
    Does this mean.. we might see a sweet particle-less active camouflage? ;)

The plasma cannon... Wow that thing is awesome. The only thing I could find is that shots fired into the air seem to go a ways and stop, and persist for a long time. I shot multiple non charged shots and followed them up and they all congregated at about y 150~.
    Otherwise hnnnng. This is the mod I've always wanted. I've got modding skills and experience but this is outrageously good.

And by that point you just got another gravity suit with a funky table.

While I see where you're coming from and respect your view, I disagree. The suit, at that tech level, costs exponentially more than the gravity suit does, and does NOT offer near-invincibility and creative flight (it's jetpack flight).

If able (It's MachineMuse's addon, after all), we need to balance this as a group and come to a conclusion and agreement on what is balanced or not. What do you, or anyone reading this post, suggest? We need more voices!

I definitely think the exponential cost is a good idea. Just by the looks of it, it felt like the default MJ values were pretty close to what felt good. Default quantum holds 1 million each, and the gravisuit holds 10 million, as reference.

LV, around nanosuit level (100k), so 100K each
    MV, quantum, 500k each
    HV, higher tech than currently in IC2, 2M each

These could be stacked quite high, but it would always be better to use 1 of the higher tier vs an equal number of the lower tier (in terms of power) because your weight would be much higher. (5LVs, 500k eu, '5' weight VS 1 MV, 500k eu, '1' weight)

I honestly have no idea about the balance here, this is a really hard subject. It would really make choosing your upgrades wisely and sparsely until you can upgrade your capacitor, so there's that. (ie, running a jetpack on a LV capacitor would probably get you a few seconds of flight, lol)

Sprinting and jumping could be a viable option for someone with the LV capacitor, but only at 120-140% sprint speed, or you run into some serious energy problems. This wouldn't be a problem for someone with 2 HVs, they could go crazy and boost it to the max.

Thruster-upgrades (jet boots/pack/underwater) and the Energy Shield would be extremely energy hungry. This would push you to have a high energy infrastructure already built and producing, and have a high capacity energy storage. You would have to recharge your armor at the same frequency as the guy across the street with his LV, and use TONS more power, but you're Flash compared to him.

Are the suit components supposed to hold almost no EU? I have an entire suit, with max Elite battery, and each piece is only holding 100k EU.
    The lowest LV battery with as low settings holds 400 EU.. but I can still max speed sprint for -15 minutes on this.

lol hey you can't forget melee! Some of us like the carnage they can sow across the battle field using hand to hand weapons!

this power suit and all these goodies are giving me reminiscence of Warhammer 40k 8o Like the Space Marines or Tau battlesuit armors

Chainsword :D

Other bad ass weaponry would be a jet boosted fist or knuckle, some energy blade, man the list goes on. The potential is ENORMOUS with this mod.

Anyway, two must have weapons(for when you start making them and maybe need ideas), no suit of power armor is complete without a weapon which replaces your hand. A not fully literal, but still accurate definition of hand cannon is indeed a cannon which you have instead of your hand. No sane person would go fully literal on this one, as that is also going full retard. Second is a Big F---ing Gun of some kind. Likely a Positron weapon, as a reason to use UE's Atomic Science, as one would need Antimatter for ammo, but adding the option to use Uranium Cells(IC2 level), Nether Stars(vanilla level), or a special GregTech level nuclear battery with re-enriched uranium cells, plutonium cells, Iridium Deflectors, and Iridium and Vacuum Hardened Tungsten Reinforced Stone, and Sheldonite Dust, and a whole mess of expensive stuff, would be a good touch.

Oh man, are you thinking what I'm thinking? This needs to be done. Samus Aran's Arm Cannon, with each beam as a separate upgrade module.

I like your suggestion way more than mine :P
    I was trying to avoid new items, for spriter nightmare, but it seems like you've already gotten that one nailed. That was the only recipe that I wasn't completely sold on.

EDIT:

Okay, for anyone concerned (Kane) for the difficulty of the Gregtech recipes, here's some math. ONE ion thruster requires:

WARNING! PROBABLY INCORRECT NAPKIN MATH AHEAD! WARNING!

•~60 Iridium ore (item)(you're left with a few extra parts)
    •16 Berylium Cells
    •548 Copper Ingots
    •256 Coal Dust
    •256 Tin Dust
    •6 Chrome Ingots
    •3 Helium Cells/NaK Cells/60k Coolant Cells
    •6 Tungsten Ingots
    •12 Tin Ingots
    •12 Steel Ingots
    •36 Silver Ingots
    •60 Advanced Alloys
    •16 Diamond Dust
    •256 ITNT (For compressing the Iridium Plates)
    •120 Lapis Lazuli
    •20 Blue Sapphires
    •40 Elec. Circuits (or equivalent)

For ONE thruster! You need 4 for a jetpack, 2 for jet boots and 1 for swim assist! You're going to have to have a fusion reactor, powered by high power, creating iridium. You'll need a factory to create ITNT from cells or soul sand, and gravel. You'll need either an array of Miners, a couple quarries, or a huge Tunnel Bore for the raw resources. Planning an efficient strategy for creating only a few of these thrusters will require good thought and execution.

And that's awesome.

May I chime in then? :P

Again, suggestions, but here's in the spirit of my previous post:

This is so much fun.