Posts by zorn

Is anyone updating the official ic2 wiki? HOw would I go about helping out with that? It seems there is a huge team of gt people working on the gt wiki, but IC2 has a bunch of 'new' things that dont have much documentation.

Specifically, ic2 crops are still pretty rare knowledge. Today I set up some crops and had ALL of my potatoes yield poisonous potatoes. Then later, somehow they all turned to weeds. In 2 years of playing, i have never had this happen. So the thing is, there is really nowhere I can go to find out of new mechanics were added to ic2 crops. One guide I found said that they needed to be in direct sun light to grow, but I am growing them fine by torchlight.

Is there some way to get solid information or do people have to just post here. Is there anyone else here interested in updating the ic2 wiki with me? Or is it restricted to only certain people...?

It says EU to RF is at 3:25 ratio?

I just wanted to point out that even though this works comparing a steam dynamo to a generator, TE machines are muchmore efficient. A Redstone Furnace uses roughly... 230 EU, at the 3:25 conversion rate, to smelt one item. An electric furnace uses 390 eu.

I know in I think 1.5, there was a big deal about fuels being changed, apparently by ic2, forestry, railcraft, and bc, to all be kind of a 'standard'? At the time many people complained, and I remember lemming saying he was making his dynamos follow the standard, but offering a config for people who wanted to set things back to the old way.

The thing is, what does it matter if a dynamo makes 32000 rf and a generator makes 4000 eu, if the RF machines run almost twice as efficiently? An electric furnace will smelt 10 items, a Redstone furnace smelts 17.

Personally I wish 1 charcoal even in an electric furnace only smelted 4 or 5 items so it made tree farms not so OP, I just wanted to point out that the conversion ratios don't seem to matter if the machines that use each form of power are noticeably more or less efficient.

Whoa that is nice. So it always sucks up source blocks then? That makes a modpack with the only pump being from BC and IC2 pretty interesting, no way to just make an infinite source of water and pump 10 gazillion buckets out of a 3x1 pool. (BC has to be configured to suck up source blocks though)

I ran a miner (at 9x9) probably a dozen times and never had the pump suck up liquids. I checked underground and saw the mining pipe just go through water.

Does the miner not need a pump anymore?

Also the info on the wiki for the advanced miner seems old, does it just do a 9x9 faster or is it 14x14 like I heard in a video? I also read that it needs no pump. Maybe all miners were changed like this?

Electric one ideally would not be better. You lose energy on the convertion to electricity (a very good bunch btw) aswell on the conversion of electricity back to heat.

This seems to be the theme of GT these days, and it's why Im working with just IC2. To me, how things work in the real world often don't equate to gameplay balance. So for this pack, think of forestry multifarms costing 5x as much metal, and apatite lasting even less time than on Hard Mode. Energy is scarce, which promotes being as efficient as possible, that's the point of making technology (at least in the pack). Then have electric furnaces smelt one or maybe 2 dusts per charcoal, not 8 dusts. No one will make an electric furnace in this environment, they will make vanilla furnaces. Possibly the electric furnace would be used once solar panels come online I guess.

The other problem is that ic2 machines will be much more expensive, so a furnace made out of only stone would also be crazily cheap.

@blockmaster, i would think people would just make 4 stone furnaces to compensate for 1 electric furnace. Now they smelt a stack of items as fast as the electric one, save themselves dozens of ingots and get a much more efficient furnace. Making an iron furnace harder to get would be better, but then you have the electric furnace as the 'bronze age' type furnace and the plain iron furnace as the top tier furnace. Doesn't really fit, IMO.

And if I just make regular vanilla furnaces harder to make, how do people smelt items at the beginning of the game?

No it should smelt more than 8 dusts per charcoal. A vanilla furnace is 8 per charocoal, i would *hope* an electric furnace would do more. An iron furnace is more efficient than a stone furnace, so an electric ideally should be even better.

My point was that if i change the ic2 config so that each energy generator block outputs say....20% of what they do now, it will mean that coal in a generator burns 5x as fast.

But in a vanilla furnace, it will still be the same... no one would use an electric furnace, especially in a pack where energy is harder to get than most packs.

I am working on a modpack to make the regular ic2 more hard mode style, but I am not using GT.

The ic2 config file gives great optioins on balancing the mod. You can decrease the output of all power generating blocks but... this makes the vanilla furnace pretty OP. Why would anyone burn 1 charcoal to smelt 4 dusts in an electric furnace, when a vanilla furnace will smelt 8 dusts for the same piece of charcoal?

My idea was to remove the vanilla furnace recipe and iron furnace recipe, but this makes smelting in the early game impossible. I can't find any config option for the iron furnace, does anyone know if there is a way to configure it? Or if there is a way to get around this?

Side note: has anyone else noticed in the IC2.ini file (config) that you can add custom recipes? Not as robuts as minetweaker, but still, pretty handy if you only wanted to add a few recipes.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make ic2 more 'hard mode' I would love to hear them. :)

I had a reply written up lsst night and when I submitted... it said i had to login. 0_o

Anyway, yes the ores are horizontal, so branch mining is the way to go.

To give an example Iron spawns about 200 ores per chunk in a typical pack. CNC spawns a max of 80 iron ores per chunk. If you go to the two ore layers, Iron is overall a bit more dense than normal so hand/branch mining is like a normal pack. Tunnel miners like a steves carts miner or tunnel bore will also be as effective.

Quarries though will net you 80 iron per chunk instead of 200 like people are used to. THe original idea was to make ic2 miners cheaper to make, and make them the cheapest way to automine, but its also the least efficient, being vertical. Ic2 miners wont pick up GT ores though :(

Blockmaster used Customstuff to make custom ores, so the important GT ores are recreated using that mod, thats how we spawn some GT ores 'the old way'.

GT veins are not necessary to find to progress, they are just a bonus.

I ran out of time last night heh, my son had so much homework...

Ill get the server updated tonight and PM you the IP. :)

Yeah we were going for something catchy but to say the pack was about ic2 and railcraft mostly. the pack makes railcraft a bit easier, and removes other easy ways to move lots of blocks, and makes it harder for players to move around the world (flight is very hard to get).

maybe we should have posted asking for ideas on the name before we did all this work lol.

I like zorn's more... might not be MC-y, but describes well what you're "selling".

Anyway, maybe mismash both to get something new?

Yeah i suggested to blockmaster to post here and even ask for suggestions. I didnt really like my design too much but i spent an hour on it and dont want to waste a day just on a logo for a pack that might only have 10 people play it. lol

If someone else had a better idea than we did though, we are open to suggestions. :)

Zorn's is way too perfect and smooth for Minecraft.

I do very amateur web design stuff occassionally for my job, so I went for that style. Apparently i need to remember my target audience though. :) A mc modpack is not a business trying to sell something heh.

xbony you do nuclear control !?! Awesome for updating it to 1.7, the pack blockmaster139 and I are making is trying to push nuclear power as a more mainstream power option, and we are using this addon. Just wanted to say thanks for making it. :)