Posts by IC_Pandemonium

It would be a good electrical alternative to minecarts. Although it should require power, maybe a mechanism akin to EU loss in cables. That way it becomes adequately difficult to build this sort of thing over large distances.

Jetpacks aren't really stable enough to use for this purpose.

I would just like to mention that EVERY single IC gadget is designed to make your job ("makes you work for things") easier, faster, and more efficient, with a price of course. Electro furnaces? Macerators? Miners? Mining lasers? What do all these do? Make your life easier. Admittedly, these things have quite a large curve of resource requirements, and in the end you work harder for these amenities than you would if you just played vanilla, though the satisfaction of being able to sit back and not have to do anything is great.

It's by no means cheap, a lapotron isn't something you can get right away, and considering it would (likely) require 1m eu's per charge, I hardly find it as ruining the experience, it simply expands the length to which you can improve how efficiently you can go about your minecrafting.

Fair point.

well, maybe it shouldn't be called a geothermal then, but a "thermal induction" or whatever. the mechanic still stands to be accepted or not, and I feel like it'd be a reasonably productive addition.

I just fear that it may make a too easily accessible infinite energy source. What sort of cost in terms of resources did you have in mind?

You can't use that excuse. Geothermal energy is geothermal energy, just like a floating minecraft tree is still a tree. Now, if the topic title became something like "lava-induction energy", then it would make sense, but its simply not geothermal.

Also seems IMBA considering the lava would now last forever and provide more energy with almost no drawbacks.

Agreed. I like the generator variety set up as it is in the moment. There's maybe some room at the top of the list beyond nuclear and geo for seriously advanced generators (anti-matter, fusion etc.) but that's another discussion.

You could actually get by just with the EU/ks reading... that would also get rid of the need to update the block every frame. Could get the block to run an average upon opening the GUI.

How is that any different from using normal shears? I just don't like continually using iron on something as silly as gathering leaves.

Iron is a depletable resource, you can get electricity almost indefinitely. In the moment you have to offset the gain of power through biofuel with a cost of iron. After your change you would offset the gain of power with a smaller cost of power. Although you could make the energy cost of cutting leaves such that making a can of biofuel would consume more energy than it generates.

A block to accurately measure and display currents passing through it. (It would be a machine, in order to balance both the costs and make coding easier).

It would display 2 different values, EC/s (or frame) and EC/ks (or 1000 frames). This would enable a reliable monitoring of both LV and HV currents. In a circuitry sense it would behave just like a cable (which doesnt care what type of current is put through it). Possible uses include:

-inputs into factories
    -outputs of generator fields
    -maintenance stations along HV-grid.

craft recipe:

[C][EC][C]
    [R][M][R]
    [C][ ][C]

C=Cable
    EC=EC-manipulator
    R=Redstone
    M=Machine

While useful, I think that having all these rotated machines will eventually just get confusing, and also would require lots of extra data.

... which is exactly why this piece of equipment would be useful, being able to fix having placed axi-antisymmetric machinery wrongly. Happens to me all the time. I do agree it should not be that expensive, especially the FT seems out of place.

I think plutonium would be fairly useless if its only purpose was to be an alternative fuel for the reactor. If it were to replace uranium as the ingredient for nuclear tnt, it would make more sense, or be used in other, as yet uninvented, machines. I.e. some of the endgame machines another thread is talking about. Generally I think its a fairly redundant idea, even though it would be pretty cool. Bottom line is though that the gain/cost ratio in terms of awesomeness and effort is too small.

You could code the current mechanics similar to relays (a diode if you will). That way instead of a 2D layer you'd have 1D lines, that would balance difficulty/awesomeness as well. I mean, making your factory transparent at will is an ability that should be difficult to obtain.

I think it would be useful in the way of building a larger network. I'm having the problem that my HV network is becoming a little saturated and I just dont feel that building a second network is very elegant. A super-HV facility, either separated or integrated into current HV as proposed above (detecting packet size would probably be the easiest way to do it) would greatly facilitate the building of larger interconnected areas of energy production and consumption.