Posts by IC_Pandemonium

Idea is good, but how will you prioritise if blocks are above or below each other? A lot of HV work needs careful vertical planning, which is often more important than the 2D-planar planning.

I've made some thoughts about this... the current concept would suggest either:
    1. A finite Liquid spreading like water and then hardening into a solid block. If the hardened Source block gets destroyed by explosion, it would turn liquid again, effectively repairing the explosion damage.
    2. A 2-component system, where the liquid is cheap and needs to be rightclicked with a special powder to turn it solid. In redo, all destroyed blocks would turn into liquid, but would need to be resolified with powder again.
    3. Liquid plastic, which needs to be heated to condense into a solid block. Probably with Mining Laser.

All concept show up a few issues that need to be though about, mainly balance stuff.

haha. That sounds like a fun bunch of ideas. Problem with number 1 is: presumably we want to remove the moulds after casting, destroy a block and your base becomes a very pretty airport runway. Also from your previous posts I gathered you're not overly excited by finite liquid coding.

Option 2 seems like the easiest to implement, although it would be difficult to construct anything quickly as you would be only able to construct one row at a time, since you cannot reach the liquid blocks below surface once having solidified the top layer.

I see this problem being solved with option 3, if the mining laser would be configured to solidify the bottom layer of a particular project first (i.e. checking for a liquidconcrete/solid interface).

I think the tar should eventuall spread to a 1/8th block, I like concrete, but unless it is "reinforced concrete" it should be merely a tad harder than cobblestone. The options for reinforced concrete (with ref. iron) and high-tech/Reactor concrete (with alloy) would be great additions as well. I like the idea, generally. Normally concrete is made from ground stone with calcium and likewise minerals added, chalk etc. If Al says its not worth a new ore/stone block (which he probably will) you could "extract" minerals from sand and the craft them into concrete dust piles with more sand. Then add water to obtain concrete source blocks.

:thumbup:

Cool suggestion, I like it :)
    Why wouldn’t you use the already existing compressor? Too expensive? One instead of two would be ok, since 4000 Gibbl should be far enough.

4000 Gibbl does sound pretty impressive. I think thats the way it will work out, in the original pitch I was going for the whole "pressure+heat" thing, but that probably wont happen, just not worth it.

You have to cater to the quirks of the mod. The miner tends to kill himself every now and then, but that can be avoided with proper placement. A great boon is the builder though. I have a minecart directional system that works with serial pulses and binary encoding, so for every junction a rather sizable room is needed, preferably underground, that can house the signal reception and decoding areas. Every station needs an encoding and sending room. Getting the builder to make these for you with self-written schematics is crazy-useful.

heat/second? I'm liking all these new game mechanics and thinks to account for you mention. Very much looking forward to the release, great work by all of you.

Yeah, I thought single use machines were a bit unweildy. I suppose you could just chuck the catalyst into a compressor and go from there. I was worried about resource use, the process should use a not insignificant amount of energy (*realism waves hello*), while not using the catalyst too much; simulating a gradual wear of the catalyst rather than an actual consumption of it.

Thanks for considering :)

Ever got tired of killing skeletons just to feed your children? Always believed in Mob-rights too much to build a disturbingly large grinder? The solution is here: FERTILIZER. Created with nothing but energy, air, an iron catalyst and the genius of Fritz Haber the power of ammonia is yours.

recipes:

Iron catalyst Dust:
    [ID][RS][ID]
    [RS][ID][RS]
    [ID][RS][ID]

ID=Iron Dust
    RS=Redstone dust (to increase number of free electrons :D)

Iron catalyst: Smelt the Dust.

Haber-Machine:

[code=c][?][code=c]
    [C][M][C]
    [Fu][?][Fu]

c=cable
    C=compressor (we need of the order 160 bar)
    Fu=Furnace (no need to make this too expensive)
    M=Machine
    ?=piping? not really sure anything should go here, but crafting table looks empty ;P

The process will create 32/64 (balancing was never my forté) units of artificial fertilizer per catalyst used, using medium amounts of EUs (more than basic machines, less than mass fabricators), which can be either directly used to grow wheat/trees (same as bone meal) OR....

new alternative recipe for ITNT:

[ F ][CD][ F ]
    [CD][ F ][CD]
    [ F ][CD][ F ]

CD=Coal Dust
    F=Fertilizer

Start your underground explosives labs now!

EDIT: might be better to make gunpowder out of it instead, á la CD x 3 + F = Gunpowder. More options, less hassle.

You say 60Eut? (Yes, EU/tick is the official new naming convention ion IC²)
    Lol, i should mention a plain Nuclear Reactor can (with the newest implementation) reach an output of ~1500 EUt (Not-explosion within seconds NOT guarantueed)...
    Currently , there wouldn't be much of a need for an even stronger Reactor.

*mouth waters*

I really don't think that it should be powered, or consume eu, or whatever. We can just say that each block have some energy from the beginning (from some amount of redstone or uranium mixed in), that lasts effectively forever.

If we really, really want it to use eu, I think simplest option is to treat connected lane blocks as a single body, that consume energy per player using it/second.

That would require the program to check constantly if/how many players are on it at which point. That seems fairly cpu intensive to me. If it was calculated along the lines of wiring, it shouldnt take more cpu than the new revolutionary wiring code and would balance near/far transport. Using expensive building blocks would make this too difficult to obtain for short distances.

The pay-offs here seem reasonable. What is the advantage of implementing this over keeping the old one? The only one I can see right now is "It gives me more easy energy more constantly for less work", if you want an infinite lava generator why not install buildcraft and use the pump system, that works great.