Posts by JaxFirehart

Breeders don't exist anymore.

Instead MOX mechanics have been implemented.

Basically, EVERY fuel rod results in a depleted fuel rod. These depleted fuel rods are run through the thermal centrifuge for some iron dust and a small amount of plutonium. Once you have enough plutonium, you mix it with uranium and get MOX cells which last half as long as Uranium and have boosted efficiency based on reactor temp.

A bit of searching around the forums can get you more detailed information on MOX reactor mechanics.

"The implementation of Circuit Breakers and Fuses, though, can allow for a player to decide between planning or using failsafes."

Also, what's wrong with alternate methods/choices or even redundancy?

What if you are playing on a PvP server and someone decides to pump extra power into your E-Net and detonate all of your machines? A circuit breaker inside your base or fuses in your machines would help prevent that. Another thing, accidents do happen. Right click your transformer and forget you have a wrench in your hand? Boom everything goes.

Fuses are used in the real world because real world engineers see the benefits of failsafes. Same with circuit breakers.

I don't see how that changes anything. Unless it's a PERMANENT removal it will be re-enabled at some point.

suggestion to remove enery tiers from game or atleast punishment for errors.

No, suggestion to allow for failsafes that have real-life analogs. If anything a circuit breaker is less useful than a transformer. With good planning and transformer placement you can obviate any need for a circuit breaker. The implementation of Circuit Breakers and Fuses, though, can allow for a player to decide between planning or using failsafes.

Breakers I see a good use for, but why item upgrade based fuses? If I am going to take the extra time to make a fuse for each machine, why don't I just make transformer upgrades?

To me it would be a matter of cheapness. A transformer costs 8 iron 4 gold cable and a circuit whereas a fuse should be incredibly simple, a single item casing and a single uninsulated wire of the appropriate tier, or something similar.

I would love to see this implemented as well. I am going to go ahead and expound on how actual mechanics could/should work.

Fuses

Act as an upgrade (like transformer or overclocker) when a machine would normally be overloaded, the fuse instead is overloaded replacing the Fuse Upgrade with a Blown Fuse Upgrade that prevents the machine from running until it is removed. Note that if a blown fuse is removed while the machine is still connected to overloaded power, the machine blows instantly (always disconnect your machine when replacing fuses). In the real world, different fuses can handle different amounts of current before they blow, IC2 could go either way: it could have one simple fuse upgrade that works for any machine and blocks any unsafe current, or it could have rated fuses that blow if EU exceeds its rating, meaning that if you have a 128 EU fuse in a machine that can only handle 32 EU, the Fuse is basically worthless. Likewise if you have a 32 EU fuse in a machine rated for 128 EU the fuse would blow even though the machine was receiving a safe voltage.

Breakers

Blocks, similar to transformers, has two ratings: allowed EU/t and maximum EU/t. If the circuit breaker receives EU greater than its maximum, it explodes like any machine (maybe these could have transformer and fuse upgrades as well, for extra redundancy?). If the circuit breaker receives EU less than its maximum, but greater than its allowed, the lever toggles and current is no longer allowed through until the lever is toggled again. Current less than or equal to allowed EU passes through harmlessly (perhaps with some loss factor?).

Electromagnet

No idea what he was going for here.

Hey all, I am trying to set up a server that uses Custom Ore Generation to create veins instead of clusters. It supports IC2 but doesn't have a setting for Lead Ore, so basically I was hoping a dev could tell me EXACTLY where Lear Ore starts generating. For example: CustomOreGen has copper set to average at height 40, and span 30 blocks in either direction (this is weighted, so copper at height 70 is possible but VERY unlikely).

How often do you let your food bar get so low that one steak can't fill it? That's why I advocated one steak, or specifically, food equaling one steak. After that, though, I said it would be even better if we could fill a single can with up to 20 food points (a full bar) and then when you eat the can it fully restores your food bar and removes that much food from the can, allowing you to compress your food (2.5 steaks would fill a can) without wasting it. This seems like it would be easiest to achieve using liquid mechanics, but this is very much not appetizing... though that could factor into a balancing mechanic. Maybe canned food restores hunger, but not very much saturation (because it is nasty nutrition paste, or just because IC2 canning's liquefying processes zap some of the nutrients from it).

I very much liked the suggestion to make canned food require multiple food items to make i.e. one steak will fill a can, but it would take 2 carrots. Or something similar. That way cans are a compact way to carry food.

What about having cans with damage values? When you "eat" one, it takes out enough food to fully restore hunger, and leaves leftovers? Then cans could have enough food to fully restore hunger, but not waste any if you eat at half hunger. This could also allow you to refill cans a bit at a time.

In my opinion, efficiency is a measure of how well you are using your fuel, so while cycle time and start up costs (getting to MOX etc) should be considered by potential builders, the efficiency level should not change based on what fuel rods are used.

Yeah, I'm talking about pulling heat from the hull. Yes it does allow for meltdown potential, but I use nuclear control to keep the heat within an acceptable range. Because I'm pulling heat from the hull, the numbers are real easy: So long as the Overclocked Heat Vents pull the maximum 36 heat from the hull, they cool 20 of it and absorb 16 heat. Because I know heat is accrued in steps of 16, using a filterable item-moving-mod (I use CodeChicken's Translocators) I can tell it to automatically withdraw them at half heat capacity. So instead of using redstone timers, I use specially configured filters. These are not vanilla ic2 Mox reactor designs, but are fairly minimalist. I have no need for Component Heat Vents or Exchangers. I simply remove the Heat Vents at half capacity and let them set in an empty cooling tower to cool of. So each Overclocked Heat Vent provides a massive 36 cooling and every slot in a reactor can be occupied by either heat plating, reflectors, cells, or vents.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…7h6y7kyqphjsl6kfs60z6sirk

That reactor has a perfect 7 in efficiency, and generates 448 heat. 5 of that heat is dissipated using a standard reactor heat vent. 432 hull heat is absorbed by the 12 remaining Overclocked vents, of that heat, 240 is dissipated, leaving 192 remaining, each overclocked heat vent gains exactly 16 heat. This is essential. Because filters are metadata specific, you HAVE to ensure that the components accrue the same heat at the same rate constantly. That's why I went with 12 Overclocked and 1 Reactor instead of 13 Overclocked. 12 + 1 results in a build up of 11 heat, whereas 13 results in in a net decrease of heat. 13 also results in one of the Overclocked Heat Vents having a build up of less than 16 heat each tick, which makes the filters useless and leading to a melting heat vent. The second they hit half capacity they are transferred to a cooling tower and fresh ones are brought in. Using translocators, at least, this is instant. Finally, nuclear control ensures that, should something go wrong, the reactor won't go critical and is also used to shut the reactor down once that 11 heat gain manages to build up to dangerous levels.

I use overclocked heat vents that are transferred to a cooling tower once they hit half-life. Each heat vent cools the reactor by 36, and cools itself by 20, which leaves 16 remaining. Because 16 is less than 20, they cool themselves in the tower quicker than they heat up in the reactor. I have a filter to withdraw them from the reactor only at half-life as well as one (16 unit) step in either direction and also at the last 6 steps before it melts. another filter removes it from the cooling tower at full health and stores it in a chest. Finally a filter moves them from the chest into the reactor. Using a combination of overclocked vents and regular reactor vents, I can usually get it pretty close to 0 heat gain/loss.

I also use nuclear control to keep it in its heat range, but that is kind of cheating. I'm sure with a bit of effort a redstone timer could be built to keep it within its bounds.

I've never seen a similar method used before, so I'm curious what you guys make of it.

I am blessed with a good sense of direction, it is rare that I run into the necessity of digging straight up, but it is a viable option. I do use the torch method, though, when I am starting out and don't have night vision or a decent drill or a jet pack etc.

Requiring 10,000 EU/t only means you have three machines with maxed-out overclockers. That's not unreasonable at all. And of course I want to run them all at once. Why wouldn't I? I can certainly see myself macerating cobblestone into sand, then cooking it into glass while my compressor is compressing plant balls from my auto-farm.

Of course. That's what I always do in any world I use IC2 in. Why is that a problem? Overclockers are in the game for a reason are they not?

So just to make sure I understand, your issue is that you're particular playstyle is no longer supported and you don't want to change?

look at it from this analogy
    Voltage = pressure
    amps = volume flow rate
    from that perspective EU/t = voltage and P/t = amperage

Actually EU/t would be watts.

EU/p would be voltage.
    P/t would be Amperage.

Watts = Amps x Volts

If EU/t was voltage, then watts would be (EU x P) / T^2 which doesn't make any sense.

You realize that a machine does not suck up the maximum it is rated to take right? A machine has a cost per tick and a maximum voltage per tick, if it is exposed to voltage greater than it can handle, it explodes. If it is exposed to an acceptable voltage, it siphons off its cost per tick and sends the rest down the line. So if I have an array of 6 macerators on the same line with no overclockers the entire line of macerators will cost a grand total of 12 EU/t. They are rated for 32 EU/t. So long as I send at least 12 EU/t and no more than 32 EU/t down the line, they are all powered, none explode. So let's say I have some combination of machines on the line that requires 50 EU/t (TOTAL) to run, there is NO WAY to supply power to all of them, unless you give them all a transformer upgrade. Once they all have a transformer upgrade, you cans send at least 50 EU/t and no more than 128 EU/t down the line and they will receive the requisite power and not explode. So now I start over clocking these machines and they require 300 EU/t to be powered, so I have to install 1 more transformer upgrade in each machine and send at least 300 EU/t and no more than 512 EU/t down the line. Lets say I keep on adding machines and overclockers to the same line and end up requiring 10000 EU/t to power them all. This means I have done something retarded and maybe should have designed my machine shop better. I could send 8096 EU/t down the line and it would power most of them, all of them if they are not running simultaneously. With that many machines/overclockers, I sincerely doubt they would all run simultaneously anyway.

When actually playing the game, I don't bother with any of this math. If I notice that the machines at the end of the line are being underpowered, I make more transformer upgrades and upgrade my power supply. Or I split them and run a separate line to each. If you need to run glass fiber cable to every pair of machines, then you have overclocked them to the point that they are probably completing an operation in one tick, or you are overclocking the mass fabricator, in which case, what did you expect?

I hope this helps you understand how the wiring system has changed.