Energy crystals 2

• High voltage lines IRL are uninsulated because friction --> heat --> decrease resistance. Well, something like that.

• Official Post

actually, it already is undergoing a massive redesign
    the old way did have an "amps" of sort, they were called packets. the experimental version yanked the multiple packets and turned the power grid from parallel connections to serial.

No, EU/p was voltage, EU/t was current.

• No, EU/p was voltage, EU/t was current.

And despite that analogy, Blutricity and IC2's e-net were still two vastly different worlds. For example, what IC2 calls "voltage" has little to no relation to how voltage works IRL. The word is used there simply to explain to the player the concept that it is possible to overload cables and machines by sending too much energy at once. It makes no attempt to actually simulate reality, like Blutricity does (to an extent); that's just not what IC2's e-net was designed to do.

The advantage of IC2's system is its simplicity - sometimes deceptive simplicity, as the whole concept of EU/p and EU/t being different was kind of an unintuitive mindbender introduced as a result of the very attempt at making it simple. That's now going the way of the dodo with the redesign, thankfully. You can generally get away with playing IC2 without doing any math, just eyeballing some numbers. It won't be the best system, but it'll do what you want it to do.

The advantage of Blutricity was its complete lack of hardcoded idiosyncrasies like the aforementioned confusion regarding EU/p that plagued IC2 for the longest time, because nearly everything it does and almost all the reasons for why something happens can be derived directly from Ohm's Law. Instead of being coded to work a certain way, Blutricity follows math, and math never lies or confuses itself. Unfortunately, the downside of that approach is the fact that math tends to confuse humans. Even the simple grade school multiplication and division necessary to handle Ohm's Law, coupled with some introductory algebra to know that an equation can be shifted about to solve for your desired result, meant that a lot of players didn't even try to work with it. They saw math and proceeded to flee. Which is a crying shame and a lost chance, because Redpower made learning about electricity more fun than my old physics teacher ever could ;)

Which is more or less the reason why IC2 is probably best served to keep its simple model. It has a well-established place in the modding community with that model. Besides, it's also easily possible to screw up your development with half-boiled attempts to simulate realworld electricity for the heck of it (hello UE).

• look at it from this analogy
    Voltage = pressure
    amps = volume flow rate
    from that perspective EU/t = voltage and P/t = amperage

Actually EU/t would be watts.

EU/p would be voltage.
    P/t would be Amperage.

Watts = Amps x Volts

If EU/t was voltage, then watts would be (EU x P) / T^2 which doesn't make any sense.

• Official Post

Thats just my suggestion (click this) i mentioned before.

• and that is the problem with the original setup. it wasn't consistent. it treated EU/t as voltage (as did most people) with the P/t as amperage but never really put limits on the amps over the line. There was some advantage in increasing the "voltage" EU/t to higher levels for long distance transmission, but there was no limit to the lines amperage. and, you are right the units don't make sense, but this is MC not RL. You don't talk about line differences in terms of wattage either.
    the game is still inconsistent but it'll prob slide more than the old way as people sorta get used to it.

• We should have both Voltage and Amperage. As Voltage Rises, amperage decreases and thus so does the Resistivity, giving a reason to step up voltages.

Well... it would be great. Really. Very realistic, very tech. And more great improvement than just "tier up" all things.
    Of course, if it can be done.
    RP2 didn't have real A/V. Because Eloraam never provided values for consumption of the machines, and no real rules of electricity were working. Ok, I crafting AV-meter, I measuring X amps and Y volts. And so what?

2All
    Guys, IC2 electricity never had nothing with real world. Don't make any analogies.

• RP2 didn't have real A/V. Because Eloraam never provided values for consumption of the machines, and no real rules of electricity were working. Ok, I crafting AV-meter, I measuring X amps and Y volts. And so what?

Just because a feature is undocumented doesn't mean it isn't working.

Go here if you're curious. Includes a numbers reference for every single part. I made it all with nothing but the voltmeter you decry as useless ;)