Posts by SpeedDaemon

Yes, quite.

Related question:

How do you control what fluids the pump will attempt to cell up? (EG make it suck up all lava/water source blocks, or just one/the other)

Use block ID 9 in the valuable ores config line to get the miner to go out of its way to get water source blocks, and 11 for lava. The pump will do water by default without the the help of a miner if you put it over an infinite source block, though.

Well thanks SpeedDaemon, that really helps clear things up for me, since I use the bat-boxes as relays and not storage I could do away with those completely, and I can now make larger designs (though I will need more mfe's if my thoughts are correct)

Only if you need all of the power in one place... Otherwise just use the extra batboxes and make smaller localized arrays where you need them instead of one big one. :)

Could you elaborate? I'm kind of confused when talking about tin cabling, can't they only have 3eu/tick traveling through them? [http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Tin_Cable] By the time the cable travels to the base MFE at the end of just 1 wing it will be 32eu/tick

Tin can only handle a max of 3EU packet size, but can handle as many of those packets as you care to send. Since solar panels only send 1EU packets, you can cram in as many as you want. In fact, the batboxes would end up being a bottleneck, probably. :) You could have 118 panels along one 39-block length of tin cable, and the cable would be fine.

You can't use a tin cable on the output of a batbox because it sends 32EU packets.

Actually, you should be able to make that design even cheaper by replacing the batboxes and copper cable with tin cables (unless you want the extra batboxen for storage). :)

Unfortunately most servers don't use those pipes :( Thus, we're still troubleshooting this, although we're making tons of progress. As far as the timer thing, you're not the only one, but I also have absolutely no ideas on how to solve it.

I currently have a test/prototype map up on my server with IC, BC, RP & the additional pipes. If you want to jump on to test SMP stuff, PM me your in-game name.

Well, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you need to cram in as many as possible to power a mass fab, or are you just looking for base-load generation for your base? If the former, you're probably going to end up with some kind of flower or linear array of the type you're trying to avoid. :P

If the latter, you have more options. If you use tin cable, you can go 39 blocks without any loss, so that gives you a lot of flexibility. Personally, I like to build them into my roof, use them as a spider-proofing overhang on a wall, sink them 1 block into a hilltop, or arrange them around the top edge of a buildcraft quarry. Basically make them part of the landscape or architecture.

On my server, I built a legit one in SMP. I had the same explosion problem due to chunk boundaries it appears.

I feel like you guys stole my credit : I've been using 2 filters for extraction with a maximum power level of 640 EU/tick the WHOLE time. It's ok, though. I considered the item detector like Rick is using, but I haven't bothered because either RedPower is going to work or it isn't. I'd prefer a more robust design, in 1 chunk apparently, that has excess cooling capacity.

I did end up having a torch under the reactor and a wire going to it to invert that torch. So if the wire is cut, the torch turns on, and the reactor shuts down.

Have you had any problems with timers (RP pr3b) getting wedged on your server? On mine, they work for a while, then get stuck "on" (always emitting a signal from the output). The only way to fix them is to remove and replace them. Moving even a short distance away seems to hasten their demise, but I've had it happen standing right next to them.

On an unrelated note, I wish the Additional Pipes advanced insertion pipe would work on reactors. It always sends buckets to the reactor and drops them on the ground instead of detecting that it's full and recirculating them. :( If that worked properly, it would remove the need for a big chunk of these cooling systems.

Ok, I still don't get the new wiring system. :) I've got 3 windmills all wired to a LV transformer. I've got a redstone torch diagonal from the LV transformer. Then I've got a wire (all tin wiring) going from the 3 dot side of the LVT to another LVT, again connecting at the 3 dot side. Then I've got a batbox right next to the LVT that ought to be recieving MV and stepping it down to LV. The distances are not that great, although I'd like to do a long distance power transmission form the hills outside of town down to my home in town. What am I missing?

Edit: Ok, so i tried to wire 1 windmill to a batbox with 14 tin wires to conect them and I'm not getting any energy in the batbox.

Tin wire will burn out when used on the output side of any transformer or energy storage device.

If you're trying to step up the voltage from the wind gens, it needs to go like this:
    :Wind Mill: ->tin or copper wire -> 1-dot side of LVT (with redstone applied) / 3-dot side of LVT -> gold or better wire -> 1-dot side of MVT (with redstone) / 3-dot MVT -> glass or iron wire.

Currently, tin can't support the full output of an unobstructed wind gen at the very top of the map.

Cobblestone generators can feed this system easily. That is if you got something to automate them.

With RedPower2's block breaker, you can easily make a cobble gen that could overwhelm this :)
    Although I can't get over the feeling that that would be "cheating" or something :P

Here's my thinking on the Oil Mass Fabricator with some back of the envelope calculations. Fuel has a burn time of 50,000 and an output of 5 BC energy per burn. That's 250,000 BC Energy for one bucket of fuel in an iron engine. Convert that to EUs at 2.5:1 and thats about 625,000 EUs. Put that in the Oil Mass Fabricator block and you have roughly 10 buckets of oil from one bucket of fuel. Powering a refinery with renewable energy is pretty trivial. I think a block of 32 Solar Generators should be able to power a refinery without having to use any non-renewable resources. Refine that into more fuel, rinse and repeat.

I just did some tests... You get 16 buckets of oil out of a full MFSU, or 625,000EU/bucket.
    A water-cooled combustion engine (running at green all the time) gave me 507,480EU. With the energy and time required to refine the oil, over 20% of your energy is lost in that cycle.

However, fuel is a nice, dense energy storage medium. 8,000,000EU per one-block tank. A 20-high tank can cheaply store 160MEU. A bank of twelve combustion engines (fairly cheap) means you can get almost full MV (10EU/t each) at the flip of a switch. So if you're not dumping all of your extra power into a mass fab, you can generate some oil, then use smaller amounts of renewables for your base load generation and fire up the generators when you need peak power. (can save some diamonds that would have gone to MFSUs...)

Snipey:
    The server is on 1.23, and I think Adv. Machines is only available for 1.15 still... Honestly, when I build it "for real," I'll probably use fewer macerators, at least at first, to save on iron. The real power of this is that you can spread out the cobble and have a constant production of everything to keep things full. Speed isn't as important.

It would probably be worth adding a generic input to the macerators and a filter on the output. That way you can shut down the factory and use the macerators for everything else in between. In fact, I might steal Shadowclaimer's recirculating injector design from his Recyclonator to make it so that you can dump other stuff in there while the factory is running, even. :D For that matter, using that design, you could just have one massive Maceratron in your base somewhere and shove everthing through it.

Shadowclaimer:
    This was a proof-of-concept, so it's a bit sprawled out... I think you'd actually only need 2 chests for the whole thing, anyway, but thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting about those things!

This is a factory I put together on my prototyping/test map of a factory that produces building materials:
    Cobble (blocks, stairs & slabs)
    Smooth stone (blocks & slabs)
    Stone bricks (blocks & stairs)
    Sand
    Sandstone (blocks & slabs)
    Glass & Glass panes

You can produce any/all of the above resources in varying ratios by tweaking the settings on the AdditionalPipes distributors. It draws between 2 and 75 or so EU/t depending on what you're producing.

Overview of the whole thing. Cobble gen at the top, smooth stone processing right, cobble processing bottom, sand/glass left:

Cobble generator. Nothing particularly original here, really. Uses 9 of the Redpower2 block breakers on a 2.5s timer. I had to buffer the output in the chests because the breakers seem to glitch if they can't easily find storage.

Smooth stone processing. Induction furnaces are impressively fast when they're hot! It takes 3 output pipes to keep it from filling up when it's going full bore. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to distribute the input across both slots so you have to wait for one to fill before it reaches full speed. The distributor pipes can be adjusted to change the production ratios. Right now it produces a fairly even amount of everything. You could build it into a base and keep it running, diverting overflow to a recycler, and always keep your material topped off. Cobble processing is more of the same, but without the furnace...

The BFM 9000! 24 macerators with distributor pipes to even out the load. Even that many can't quite keep up with the full output of the cobble gen, though. This draws a little over 40EU/t when all of the macerators are running.

Sand & glass processing. Just more tubes and crafting tables... Again with the variable ratios by adjusting the distributor pipes.

Solutions would involve adding more macerators, but would involve heaps more space and pipe headaches, i had plenty with this system, despite my forward planning on how the pipes would be placed not to clash.

I guess you could get the addon that gives you rotary macerators, but for now i am sticking to the original due to I will have to download and install everything again when the next MC update comes out. I don't want to get attached to too many mods.

Actually, as far as ore is concerned, I can't think of a reason not to pre-macerate it all as it comes in the door. Iron can even be pre-smelted (copper, tin, and gold have uses for the dust, so that would have to wait)

It would take double the storage space as opposed to the ore, but on the other hand, you only have to store just ingots (for iron) or dust and ingots, instead of three different items for each resource.

Can't wait to try this out. However, it doesn't currently seem to work in SMP. (versions of installed mods are in the 2nd spoiler)

TIA for your efforts! BC pipes with liquids are so buggy in SMP, I can't wait for oil independence :)

Let me know if you need help testing/debugging SMP

Dropping the .zip in the mods folder results in this:

Putting the .class files in the server .jar ends up with this:

I was working on these last night, too. It seems that (in SMP, not sure about SSP) teleporters are fairly useless long-distance. I was unable to link or use teleporters unless there was already someone near the other end to cause that chunk to be loaded. So, you can use them to get around a large base, or up and down from mines, but not where they'd be really useful. :(

Don't know if they work in the Nether, but you could travel 1k overworld blocks in one TP while staying within your own loaded-chunk range. Power would be a headache down there, though. Would also limit your TP power to 640k EU or so (full inv/armor over 128 blocks)