Solar Wing designs

• Ok everyone, i'm pretty new (have only been using IC for a few weeks) and i'v been wanting to know what designs everyone has for solar farms, no I don't like flowers/trees, and i'm disgusted by long rows on the ground, what kind of designs does everyone use that isn't a flower or a ground row? And please no newbish designs that only work if you're using TMI, at the most only 1 MFE :MFE-Transmitter: , but it can have as many batboxes :Batbox: as needed, In reward, :Superfuel:
    EDIT:
    To show what I mean by solar wing I designed one real fast, this is the cheapest 128 eu/tick design that I use.

• This Forum has interesting solar panel wiring. I personally use the flat plus-like one.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Well, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you need to cram in as many as possible to power a mass fab, or are you just looking for base-load generation for your base? If the former, you're probably going to end up with some kind of flower or linear array of the type you're trying to avoid. :P

If the latter, you have more options. If you use tin cable, you can go 39 blocks without any loss, so that gives you a lot of flexibility. Personally, I like to build them into my roof, use them as a spider-proofing overhang on a wall, sink them 1 block into a hilltop, or arrange them around the top edge of a buildcraft quarry. Basically make them part of the landscape or architecture.

• I just made an edit to my post, thanks guys for your input. I was going to put the map file too but it's a bit too large, the :Superfuel: is still up for grabs...

Thain (Havasushaun)
    :Uranium Ore: > :Uranium: > :Compressor: > :Uranium Ingot: >????=PROFIT :Nuke TNT:

• Actually, you should be able to make that design even cheaper by replacing the batboxes and copper cable with tin cables (unless you want the extra batboxen for storage). :)

• Actually, you should be able to make that design even cheaper by replacing the batboxes and copper cable with tin cables (unless you want the extra batboxen for storage). :)

Could you elaborate? I'm kind of confused when talking about tin cabling, can't they only have 3eu/tick traveling through them? [http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Tin_Cable] By the time the cable travels to the base MFE at the end of just 1 wing it will be 32eu/tick

Thain (Havasushaun)
    :Uranium Ore: > :Uranium: > :Compressor: > :Uranium Ingot: >????=PROFIT :Nuke TNT:

• Could you elaborate? I'm kind of confused when talking about tin cabling, can't they only have 3eu/tick traveling through them? [http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Tin_Cable] By the time the cable travels to the base MFE at the end of just 1 wing it will be 32eu/tick

Tin can only handle a max of 3EU packet size, but can handle as many of those packets as you care to send. Since solar panels only send 1EU packets, you can cram in as many as you want. In fact, the batboxes would end up being a bottleneck, probably. :) You could have 118 panels along one 39-block length of tin cable, and the cable would be fine.

You can't use a tin cable on the output of a batbox because it sends 32EU packets.

• Well thanks SpeedDaemon, that really helps clear things up for me, since I use the bat-boxes as relays and not storage I could do away with those completely, and I can now make larger designs (though I will need more mfe's if my thoughts are correct)

Thain (Havasushaun)

• Well thanks SpeedDaemon, that really helps clear things up for me, since I use the bat-boxes as relays and not storage I could do away with those completely, and I can now make larger designs (though I will need more mfe's if my thoughts are correct)

Only if you need all of the power in one place... Otherwise just use the extra batboxes and make smaller localized arrays where you need them instead of one big one. :)