Posts by SpeedDaemon

Probably what happens is that on one tick, you get 5000 (or so?) EU worth of acceleration from scrap. If it gets 3kEU, 3k of that is used up, and there's only 2k left on the next tick, so 1k of the 3kEU/t doesn't benefit from scrap on that tick. The more energy you give it at once, the worse this gets.

If you have enough scrap to keep up with that kind of energy input, it looks like it's better to add more MFs than to shove more than 2kEU/t at one...

Hm... not exactly linear.

I suspect what's happening is that you only get about 5000 "units" of acceleration from one piece of scrap, and the MF can only use one piece of scrap per tick. That would mean that at around 5kEU/t, only part of your input energy gets the benefit of scrap. I bet if you did the same test with 256, 512, 1024, and 2048, it would be a linear progression through 4096, after which you get what you see here.

So that would put a soft limit of 5kEU/t on the mass fab before you start really wasting power.

Just want to verify if my assumptions are right before I finalize the site for my CASUC reactors...

My calculations for chunk boundaries aren't matching what Zeldo's chunk loader block displays as chunk boundaries, so now I'm concerned. :P

I assume that (0,0) - (15,15) is a chunk, meaning that for x & z >=0, chunks "start" on x or z mod 16 == 0. So for x & z < 0, they would start on x or z mod 16 == 15. (since they start at 0 in the positive direction, and at -1 in the negative)

In the specific case I'm working with right now, the chunk should go from x=656 to 671 (which the chunkloader F9 display marks correctly), and z=-337 to -352 (F9 display marks this 1 block closer to the origin, as if it's counting from 0 instead of -1)

So is this a display bug with Zeldo's mod, or am I doing something wrong? :P

I do that as well - the coast near my house still has the bottom of the orange frames - to remind me that the water there is REALLY deep! But sometimes I quarry on land, too - it's a great way to clear out a cave network, sure beats exploring it! :)

And if you pipe the output to a filler, you can get rid of two cave networks at the same time. :D

I almost kind of hope they *don't* fix the reactor overflow... most of the RP CASUC designs depend on the reactor always being a valid target for stuff. If it gets truly fixed, you'd have a 1-3 second delay between when an empty is removed, and the next full one can get to the reactor (and that's if you cram everything as close as possible to the reactor hull). On the other hand, then the BC advanced insertion pipes would work properly, too, so that would be another option.

But there is still SOME loss they're talking about zero loss. That's why they didn't jus say that.

You could use the item TP pipes to send energy crystals without loss, though. :) Would work great with the charging bench addon... redstone the remote one to discharge instead of charge, and use some adv. wooden pipes or RP filters.

Of course, we're going for silly, so I'd use trained creepers to carry them instead... Or give an MFSU to an enderman and whack him till he teleports to the right place and puts it down.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how they deal with the reactor's inventory, since it's always been kind of funny...

If you were sufficiently crazy, you could set up 20 desynchronized retrievers and guarantee that an empty bucket won't stay in for more than one tick. :P

I'm sure it won't be long until someone has a 5 chamber reactor running entirely full of u-cells except for one slot for a bucket...
    EDIT: now that I think about it, that wouldn't work... the reactor would
    only be sending heat to the buckets every 20 game ticks, so you'd still
    need more than one.

Redpower will still generate its copper and tin alongside IC2 by default, but you can configure it not to (which you should, since it's EVERYWHERE otherwise!).

As of IC2 1.23 and RP2 pr3b, the copper/tin are completely interchangeable between the two, even though the ingots have slightly different names.

Regarding RP2 and CASUC reactors... Eloraam just posted a video of a "retriever" block. Basically it sucks the selected item out of a remote inventory connected to the tube network. This might mean we no longer need filters adjacent to the reactor hull, and can have a single tube for full buckets in, and empties out... It looks like as of RP pr4, a redpower-powered CASUC might be able to use 5 chambers! :D

not sure about only draining one MFSU, but I realized this concept recently myself. Just for fun i had 30 or so MFSUs in a tmi world all linked up powering one Mass Fab. 16k or so of EU/t 8) . TMIed obviously, but not a bad way to store power in a legit world once you have filled up your first MFSU, just add one more. Rather than adding them in series where you wouldn't gain any energy increase/t

Well, the advantage to putting them in series is that it's cheaper and smaller, since you don't have to put wires in between. :) I can't actually think of anything other than a mass fab where I'd be able to use more than 512EU/t in one place like that...

Actually, while we're on the subject of power management blocks... :D

A PDU block would be interesting, too. Like a transformer, it has one input, and 5 output faces, but instead of changing voltage, it only outputs to the faces with an adjacent redstoned cable segment. Basically a multi-way switch.

Speed, I have a very similar factory planned, but I have been waiting for this :
    http://t.co/d5HvW4pf

Retriever + sorting machine + item detector + counter + buildcraft craft table + Power Crystal Energy Link = 1 craft station. Each station would only get EXACTLY the stuff it needs in order to craft something, and no more. All the rest of the stuff could just stay in it's chests.

Hadn't seen that yet...

I tried to make something like that with a filter (transposers on all the chests, and a filter by the crafting station that you'd just put in what you want), but that didn't work too well. I think the transposers must have been sucking stuff up before checking whether they had a valid target, because they'd get stuffed up, and spew tons of items when I changed the filter item.

Now that I've got a way worked out to do it, having this block handed to me almost feels like cheating. :) It will remove the need for a 24x15x4 area that has redwire or a logic gate in 90% of the blocks. Wonder how it does with 200 or so chests on the line?

Instead of a new block to switch current on/off, would it be easier to just modify the behavior of the current storage devices so that they don't "leak" when when redstoned and full?

If there's a cable/block available that detects current, it would mean you could put one on the input cable and detect when the storage is full, allowing you to deal with full storage however you want. (connecting the output of the detector directly to the storage would give you something similar to the current behavior, but would be switching on and off a lot)

What about having two columns in the resource list - one for exact usage (that has fractions of a resource), and one that's the minimum required to start from scratch (includes all the resources for a batch of subcomponents)

I was considering adding RP machines to my setup (currently just using core, lighting and wiring) but couldn't find much info (even in their Wiki!) on brass.
    How is it made? Do I need RP World as well? I really would rather pass on that part because of the wacky rubber trees and yet more custom ores to complicate my exiosting setup (and make me wander yet farther again to find).

Brass is 3 copper ingots and 1 tin ingot in an alloy furnace. And yes, the RP Machines module requires World (as will pretty much all of the other cool new RP stuff Eloraam is working on, it would seem).

You can use NBToolkit to generate ores in a pre-existing world, but not sure if it can set damage values on blocks...

EDIT: NBTK can do damage/data values :)

awesome, a touch complex for my taste in an all in one system. I would be storing stuff where I could get at it, rather than having levers to pull to get certain items.

I might put building materials like cobble & stone where I can can get at some of the chests directly. The rest I would have a chest or two with enough in there for most crafting projects, and just use the levers to replenish what I use. That way I don't have to wait for stuff to get there.

One little think, you have the scrapbox deployer in the crafting area, are you just going to pick everything up that it generates? As compared to what else you have done (planning?), having a system to sort the stuff and add it to your mainstream system of bulk storage would be child's play.

Most of the scrap will go to UUM production...The scrap boxes would be more of a novelty, really.

I think I will save that schematic and adjust it for my own use if that is ok with you.

Post up any good improvements :)