Posts by Lor

I wonder: can the charging bench on the Addon board (the Mk 2) charge crystals?

Addressing the question that one needs an MFE first, it is correct that one needs an MFE to charge a laser.

However, there is a pattern that you can build an inefficient setup in order to bootstrap your way into a better one:
    You can charge your drill/chainsaw in a generator, but it will be slower.
    You can have your workshop going directly off generators instead of buffering with a batbox.
    You don't need diamonds to make a portal, so unless I am mistaken, one can even have a mass fabricator and not be able to craft an MFE.

In none of the above is it great. In fact, I shudder to think of how that massfab works on 32 EU or less at a time.

There is a bit of a resource bump one needs to get over right after the batbox stage, though. One can surmount it with some lucky mining and/or industrial diamonds, but one can have a laser and still be running off batboxes if one isn't careful :P .

So it would seem that a cheap, slow, and perhaps even inefficient means to charge a laser or other device might be welcome at this inter-tier stage. Something without an output, only charge 32 EU/t at a time, only have a batbox or less of storage, and only interface with crystals and batteries (not lapotrons). You could say that the output circuitry was reconfigured to interface with the crystal.

No. I do not want some color CF to look as a stone.
    I've seen some mods like secret walls or such name. It have a block, which shows texture of block under itself, not his own. So if CF block is so special, can we have a way to masquerade it as another? Can it store a data, which texture to show to players? Some players will make buildings from CF and paint in in different views. Wooden, stone, gold, obsidian... Probably animated and transparent should be forbidden.

I agree.

In case I may have been misinterpreted, please allow me to explain:

In my original post, I suggested a cable that would look like stone, and more importantly mount luminators in the more attractive non-cable way.

I do not know if you are familiar with the cable obfuscator from IC1, but it was a tool that changed the texture used for a cable (sadly, no wiki entry for it anymore that I found). Since the obfuscator hadn't yet been ported to IC2, I assumed there was something in the way of its implementation. I thus suggested another wire (in the vein of a switch cable or a detector cable) that would be crafted from an existing HV cable and a few blocks of stone but would have a unique texture soas to blend in well.

The thread immediately tangented off the original idea to both CF and a discussion of other mods.

My reply to you was not meant to be a dismissal. I was saying that if CF is decided to be the way to go, there are some (admittedly undesirable) options to have things look right if you don't want to use CF. I've started experimenting with CF, and I'm learning to like it under the right conditions, but you are right that it doesn't address mountain strongholds.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, and here's hoping. (Maybe I'll try again to get MCP working and see how straightforward this might be)

Thanks for reading

You can surely find all sorts of information and threads about suggestions regarding covers from other mods. Here's one of them (and it contains links to two other threads, thanks yori07!)
    http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=3641

Regarding Sebra's question (about painting foam to look like smoothstone), if CF foam is the chosen method rather than the original suggestion of cables that look more like stone, there would be two options to make it look right:

• Retexture: Change the texture(s) in /ic2/sprites/block_0.png so that a rare color would look exactly like stone. Any color you never use and one cheap to mass-produce (light green/yellow maybe?)
    • Less subtle and more expensive option: Make the entire vault out of construction foam :)

Not sure which one I would do. I like the idea of camouflage, but I'm beginning to like the look of hardened foam, too.

Obvious statement, IC cannot and willnot, from OUR side, use the RP Cover system. It's very well possible (and much easier to do) if someone (f.e. even Eloraam) creates some sort of addon which bases on RPs source and provides this feature to IC cables.

Currently i tinker with using the CF-Cable idea, it would require some minor coding effort and another blockID, though.

Heh, sorry for not making it more obvious that I wasn't suggesting the covers.

I hadn't played with the CF previously, but I've tried it since my original post, and I'm coming to like it. While I still like the idea of enclosing cables in smooth-stone and wood, I can get behind the CF-Cable idea too, although I would like to re-interate an earlier suggestion that the smaller form of the luminator be used when placed on the CF-Cable (the one used if placed on non-cables). I think it might better hide the fact that there is embedded wiring in the walls if it looks the same both ways.

Search function wins again!

I was about to ask another question about Geothermals only accepting cells/buckets from the bottom (previous versions withdrew from the back as well) and if this was intended behavior. Searched, and found this thread.

I'll remain patient for the next version and amuse myself trying to make it work as is. :)

Idea would become obsolete with: Cable Obfuscator

Reason for idea:I like the luminator model for placing on walls/ceilings, but I also want to wire it up.

Description: One or a series of new cables that would function as 4x Refined Iron wires for purposes of capacity and EU-loss.

Recipe

SS = Smooth Stone
    BL = Blank
    4x = 4x Insulated Refined Iron wire

SS BL SS
    BL 4x BL
    SS BL SS

Special Properties

• Texture would be of the Smooth Stone.
    • Each of the six sides would have a wire terminal like a normal cable. Essentially, this block would be a larger 4x wire that looks like stone.
    • Luminators would place as the smaller texture, as if this block were normal smooth-stone.
    • The size of the terminals would be such that a luminator would completely cover it.

Other Notes:

I've seen threads about the cable covers, and it seemed to me to be related to the cable obfuscator. I put this idea forward as another way of looking at it in case the obfuscator is still presenting problems with the new wires. Of course, there could be equivalent wires for wood, cobblestone, perhaps even wool and CF. Or maybe even dirt for that low/high tech juxtaposition!

Thanks for Reading

This is a bit of a support request, but not strictly IC2 support. And I trust this forum more than MCF. I am looking to set up a tiny server for the holidays and due to the state of my favorite mods (okay, so this is related to IC2 :) ) it looks like I'll need to apply these to an older server jar.

So here is my question -- where does one find an older server jar? I'm aware of a mod for SSP (nostalgia), but not aware of anything for SMP.

(For info, would just be installing IC2 and BC 1.x with all their prereqs).

Any ideas?

Thanks

PS: @administrators: I'm assuming asking for information about downloading a server is a legal request. If not, please send me a PM and lock the thread.

Impossible, as i cannot influence animal behavior without modifying baseclasses.

Yeah, I thought it might be that way. Sounds like hooks for animal behavior might be something to bring up if they are really serious about Mod support.

Putting aside the current impossible-ness, what do you think of the idea, though?

Another Idea for industrializing some MC 1.0 features. This one refers to the luring of animals with wheat.

Function: This block would be a powered machine that would exert the same attractive force that a player holding wheat would.

Possible Uses:

• Place in the middle of a fenced-off yard (or at the furthest point from the gate) to both keep existing animals in the yard during an addition, and to keep a new animal around if you need to switch items in hand.
    • Place several in a yard to 'snare' wandering animals.

Additionals: No idea as to recipe. As for how it could be said to function, it could take a certain amount of EU to aerosolize a bale of wheat. So it might require both EU and a supply of wheat in order to function. Redstone current to turn on/off

I am guessing that such is difficult or impossible to implement, as the attraction may be linked to players and not applicable to items. However, it is an idea.

Thanks for reading.

I have seen the blog post where Alblaka said that IC2 tools would be non-repairable and non-enchantable, but I wonder if this only applied to electric tools (Chainsaw, Drill, Diamond Drill, and the prospective possible electric wrench, hoe, etc).

This makes a lot of sense for electric tools, as cannibalizing 2 electric drills to get more battery power in one of them seems so undesirable that it would not be worth the effort of implementing the possibility.

The bronze wrench and all the bronze tools seem to be in the correct vein for repair at least, assuming my understanding that repairing just adds the uses remaining is correct.

Enchanting a wrench might not make a lot of sense, but combining two half-used wrenches into a better one might.

Thanks for reading.

I agree it could be interesting to see pumps fill buckets (BC) or that geogens would accept lava pipes (IC).

That said, there is at least one solution to semi-automate lava into a mass of geogens (IC2 and BC 1.x, not using the engines yet):

A loop of stone & wood pipes
    1) A chest that I toss full lava buckets into. Connected to the back of a
    2) Geothermal generator, connected from the right to the back of a
    3) Repeat (2)
    4) A diamond pipe near the end to siphon off the empty buckets

Each geogen is connected by wires back to a central point for energy collection. The lava buckets cycle around until each finds a geogen that doesn't have a full meter. Come back every once in awhile to refill the buckets and to load crystals into the MFE.

Hardly optimal (can think of a ton of ways to improve it), but I thought I'd share an approach for the meantime.

As I understand it (no IC-SMP experience, just going from the wiki) you can set up an EOM to charge up to an unlimited amount for that 4k EU

That said, I like your suggestion.

In essence, an energy storage block (5 inputs, 1 output, directional) without any energy storage where it also keeps track of how much EU passed through it.
    Such a block would also have applications for SSP if you want to determine how much a particular workshop or set of machines is using, or which bank of generators is supplying most of it.

:thumbup:

Edit: Didn't read the entire post, you already said my last sentence there.

Everything is in the subject. I would like to suggest that the luminator, when ported into IC2, be able to handle HV, or maybe even EV?

So when a very long line of luminators throughout a stronghold would be set up, one wouldn't need to wire up a bank of luminators with a MV & LV. Oh, and I again freely admit that I'm really itching to set up a ground-to-buildlimit obelisk of luminators 8)

Thanks for reading.

Please forgive me if I'm highjacking, but I find I still want to counter this idea with something like the magnetizer. A steel fence buried one block down, with the forcefield generator right behind the fence. The generator, once powered, would power the fence for 20 blocks in both directions.

Each fence block, once powered, would put up and down the actual forcefield blocks for 4 or so blocks. All you'd see would be the blocks, just like the current dome-generator -- until you got right on top of it and looked down. The actual generator would be right behind the fence, so it'd be protected, like the dome. But you would be able to plan out the layout, have odd-shaped fields, and be less likely to lock yourself out.

I like this too -- I had a similar idea:

Basically, a combination of the field generator and the magnetizer. You have a trench of buried pieces like the fence (but horizontal); these pieces, when EU-powered, would generate a force-field up to 10-20 blocks high. Another block like the magnetizer would provide power to the fence-pieces.

-----

In either design, the same general idea: A force-field without a ceiling that one needs to set out in advance instead of the bubble. Granted, one would need to encase these blocks in either obsidian or reinforced stone in order to protect them from attacks -- something the field generator doesn't have to worry about -- and have more material investment to lay out the field and power it, but you get the benefit of planning out your stronghold with the field in mind. Hopefully the power requirements would be slightly less to account for this.

Also, in either design you have the fact that you can tower yourself over the fence -- or use a jet-pack. A benefit in SSP, but a possible liability in SMP.

Greetings. I hesitate to call this a bug in case it is desired behavior. Searched for 'lava cell' but did not find a thread with this subject.

Lava cells placed in the bottom slot (ie, where the lava buckets go) of a geothermal generator do supply lava to the store. However, the cell seems to be consumed in the process.

On the one hand, it would appear that this is in fact a bug, since the generator doesn't pop out an empty cell or place an empty cell.
    On the other hand, crafting a lava cell:
    1) Allows one to use only one bucket to get lots of lava.
    2) Allows one to stack those cells
    3) Only causes one to lose 1/4 of a tin ingot per use in this matter (4 tin ingots --> 16 cells)

So it might be a bug, but it might also be a calculated use of tin.
    Does anyone know which it is?

Thank you

(if in fact a bug, I would be happy to repost in that forum, but didn't want to presume)