Posts by Cadde

Edit edit: Changed to Optifine's files - no big change really - now the textures are purple 8|
    So they're either purple or invisible - regardless of what I do it seems. Feh - I'll just have to live with them like that - not going to drop this mod or AdditionalPipes :D

They are not purple, they are magenta (unless I assume wrong) and magenta is >9000 times better than transparent. This means they are magenta because they are using the default BLANK texture (instead of no texture at all) and can thus be fixed by applying the texture in the right place. Now, since i don't use HD textures and doesn't feel very motivated to install one of them all i can say is, try and figure out which file it is using and place some graphics in there.
    But anyways, magenta is better than no texture at all. Now you know something is working as intended somehow.

Well, it's quite "advanced" stuff to be able to open and copy the text from a text file located in %appdata%\.minecraft named ModLoader.txt which requires you to know what it is and why people need to see it. Posting it on a forum inside both CODE and SPOILER tags instead of just saying "doesn't work".
    It is even more advanced to be able to install Modloader, ModloaderMP and Forge... Followed by Buildcraft, IC2 and this crossover mod as well as tons of other mods. (which is quite common)
    Yet, simple reading skills seems to have slipped them by?
    Sure, what is in ModLoader.txt looks like garbage to most people but problems are still clearly visible and reading over it anyone would (or should) have stumbled over the ID conflict.

I am aware that there are people who isn't as familiar with this stuff as me and i respect that but like i said... It still amazes me that they have gotten far enough to go through all that (modding and posting the error report correctly) and still misses something that is so clearly pointed out in the error report.
    Imagine if all you got in an error report was:

"NPR in aa.class at 0xFFFFE050"

Then i would understand why no-one would know what that means. Lucky for us then that Risu made the ModLoader.txt readable by humans.

Well, there is:

• BC 2.2.6 Client and Server but only for MC 1.00
    • BC 2.2.7 Client and Server but only for MC 1.00
    • BC 3.0.0 Client only, for MC 1.8.1
    • BC 3.0.1 Client only, for MC 1.8.1 only
    • BC 3.0.2 Client only, for MC 1.00 only
    • BC 3.0.3 Client only, for MC 1.00 only

So out of those 6 versions, 4 are for MC 1.00 and thus excluded since IC² is still 1.8.1.
    And BC 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 is excluded because it is only client (SSP) and is further more, incompatible with ALL BC<>IC crossover mods (Converting EU into MJ) which is quite important if you want to make good BC based CASUC designs.

So in other words, for SMP we will have to wait for IC² to get into MC 1.00 and that is still relying on that BC actually works when converting worlds from SSP to SMP.

The problem with safety mechanisms is that we don't have much information available to us from the reactor. If we could have a reactor status block that you link with a reactor and that status block has a GUI where you can pick among various conditions then we would be able to make proper safety systems.

What we need to know from the reactor is:

• Temperature level (That is, a number of detectors that output a signal when a certain temperature is exceeded)
    • Component failure (If a component inside the reactor fails, a redstone signal is pulsed per failed component)
    • Chunk reload (This could be programatically difficult for Alblaka, it outputs a redstone pulse when the chuck that the DETECTOR is in is reloaded into memory)

That way we could have safety systems around the reactor that actually trigger in time before stuff start going out of control.

Other than that, in a non CASUC design (if you are making a CASUC you have a few ways to tell if your cooling flow is failing) the only way is what has been mentioned already. When a flammable block burns out, a redstone signal is removed and the reactor gets shut down. But the delay between the block burning out and the redstone being applied and the reactor actually shutting down can be quite long. And that delay may mean your reactor is already in "lava" mode that burns out the shutdown switch... And worse!

This is just what I needed :D So more pumps.

And yeah I remember you mentioning something about not using waterproof pipes.

EDIT:
    It looks a lot tidier than my setup xD And you are just using RP isntead of BC which leaves number of mods involved the same as mine, so I like it. And I guess, politicaly your reactor might have a longer future, because of BC leaving Forge. Or did I mess something up? Sorry, I am not up to date with issues between modders.

No i use BC and i could drop the RP parts in that setup easily but i would need another way to fill buckets. Since you are using a specialized bucket filler mod you can do without RP2 but since i like RP2 i don't see a reason to install the bucket filler mod. Either way, both methods work just fine and i too agree that i would much rather use BC to make the cooling system actually cost something.

Why 12 EU/t for obsidian pipe? Is this the smallest value with it working properly?

When idle (not sucking items) it only draws 5 EU/t, when it's sucking items it draws 12 EU/t. This is internal BC mechanics and cannot be remedied. The obsidian pipe (as a matter of fact all wooden pipes too) have internal energy storage in the form of something called the PowerProvider. It has a Min/Max energy received. Max energy stored and Energy loss per tick. (hence the 5 EU/t when idle, it loses energy each tick)
    Due to the massive "leakage" (the overflow loop) i have to allow the obsidian pipe the full 12 EU/t (hence why you see it having it's dedicated bat box at the splitting tower) or the stored energy in the obs pipe reaches zero and the obs pipe stops functioning.

Hmm... those yellowish things I guess they are 'tubes' are supposedly less leaky than BC's alternative and I think I can see all buckets shot in the same direction. But I just couldn't live with RP, it adds so much unwanted stuff which already is developed by IC or BC. Some new ores, bluetricity, machines or whatever more to this there is.

Yes it does add a lot of "unwanted" stuff... IF you install ALL the redpower packages. You can, just like with BC, opt to install only the parts you need.

Energy-free pumping seems a little bit OP according to BC standards, but still leaves it a nice design.

Energy free pumping helps with the initial design concept. Like i said before, I'd much rather use BC's liquid pipes and tanks for that realistic effect for the final reactor.

You don't need HV-transformer after MFSU in voltage splitting tower. But it's just me, trying to pay legitely for everything acquired via TooManyItems.

That is most likely something i left there from early on in the design i had in mind. Or i was just being overly cautious! (i hate stuff exploding)
    ... Hmm, now that i think about it, the return cable from the splitting tower didn't go into the MFSU initially and i had MFSU's in the tower at first. That's why that HV transformer is there and i just didn't remove it. So that's why it's still there.

I also like the way you calculate it down to a single EU/t. I immediately applied more economical version of your voltage splitter in my design.

Yep yep, glad to be of assistance.
    Now i am going to try and set up a server since i am done with BF3.

You wanted your mods (obviously) but do we have to have bukkit?
    And mind PM'ing me some contact details so we can chat out of the forums? I have TeamSpeak 3, Ventrilo, Mumble, Skype, MSN. I prefer TeamSpeak 3 though because it draws the least amount of memory from the system and the least amount of CPU cycles of all those.

Sending you a PM with contact details now.

What I am trying to say is that I have a server which has mods installed and which can load a map and even allow us to login, BUT it is not working corrently. You can't develop anything on it. I have no clue why this is so. Therefore, we can't use my .jar.

The pumps... I am interested in time frame. From your cpp-like description it looks like if the pump could extract infinite amount of liquid units in time. My problem is that gold pipes attached to a pump just don't fill up completely while bucket-fillers are operational. And at the same time there is more power available for the pumps, but they prefer not to use it :pinch: I'd like to see your pumping setup for sure.

I don't have a pumping setup. You will see in the video when it's processed.
    What you see in the pipes is correct behavior. The flow rate is 1.6 buckets per second even though the pipe isn't filled to the top. The only time a pipe will fill to the top is when there is a backlog.

Here is the link to the initial design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQCc3N71FM

It's still uploading and needs to be processed by youtube, it might take another couple of minutes before it's live.

I had to record it at half size (960x600) because otherwise my PC would die under the strain.

NOTE: The MFSU at the top is not hooked up to the system yet. The intention is OFC to close that loop so the reactor feeds power to the splitting tower and links.

EDIT: Now off to BF3 land. Be back later!

I am in UTC+0 time.

I think I don't have this issue without HD, but on the other hand we have designed the map to look aesthetically pleasing under this specific texture pack. Otherwise it's just VERY ugly, so I prefer the fog. I am not going to surface nearly at all anyway.

EDIT: So are you using bukkit? And since your server is working it would be nice of you to share with it since you run the same mods ^^

And i am on CET so cool.
    I haven't set up a server yet, will do after we are done with BF3. I can do whatever you need with the server once i start setting it up. Or if you host one or have one where we can meet up that has the required mods.
    87% of the vid is rendered now. Also check my edit on my previous post.

For starters, i have designed my 1740 EU/t reactor... I literally flood it with buckets now (to be on the safe side) and the overflow is sucked up by an obsidian pipe. And there is CONSTANT overflow (once again, safety) and as such my FPS drops to 40-50 when doing that.

I am rendering a video showcasing the reactor as i type, should take 15 minutes...
    My friends want me to play BF3 but i will try and set up a server after that. I assume you are in CET time?

And about that FPS issue, you still have it without HD textures? Because if you do then yeah, that is a problem. If you don't then what a shame... ;)

Will post a link to the vid when it is done rendering.

EDIT:

The pumps btw... They work like this:

Thus, a pump will extract one bucket of liquid from a pool as soon as it's energy storage is >= 10 MJ and it's internal liquid storage is empty.
    Each tick an attached pipe receives "flow rate" mB. For gold this is 80 and we will only use gold right?
    so you can extract 1,600 mB of liquid per second with a single pump on a gold pipe. Or one bucket every .625 seconds. (IIRC, that is the cycle speed of a combustion engine on green)

Hope this helps!

Did you consider the possibility that some of us DO know how to edit and modify texture packs and that it still happens anyhow? Or that I've floated the issue past SpaceToad himself, who says that it's apparently a problem with how this addon (and certain of Zeldo's pipes) interact with BC? If he doesn't know how, maybe you should TELL him. :rolleyes:

You might be content to play this game in ugly, coarse 16x, but some of us aren't. This was designed for the 21-st Century PC, not a Nintendo NES from 1985. If you can't provide an answer, you're not contributing anything. We're not impressed by your feigned superiority - results are all that matter.

As for Optifine? I tried it - my game ran worse. I've never had any issues with MC Patcher - maybe you're the one that's using it wrong. Did you ever consider that? ;)

Or maybe i am content (and feel nostalgic) about the 8 bit blocky graphics?
    Minecraft was designed this way on purpose you know...

• Notch likes pixel art
    • Notch is original. Makes a game that is loved by millions that has worse graphics than the first DOOM.
    • The blocky graphics fits well with the blocky nature of MC.
    • The smaller textures leaves plenty performance for the engine to run smoothly even on decade old PC's.

But ye, i understand that some don't like it. It just bores me so much to read "my HD texture patcher" makes stuff invisible plz halp.

Or you could use dynamite sticks.

15 Gunpowder, 12 Sand = 3 TNT
    3 TNT, 6 Flint = 4 ITNT
    4 ITNT, 4 String = 32 Dynamite sticks.

Optinally...

32 Dynamite sticks, 8 Sticky resin = 32 Sticky dynamite.

Then, it's just a matter of cutting a 2 tile deep hole every 3 tiles in the side of the tree and placing said dynamite. A dynamite remote would be awesome for added effect but you could just as well place them and click them or throw sticky dunamite into the holes.
    If you stand half a tile away from the hole you take no damage from the explosion.

Edit:

A 15 tile high tree trunk = 5 dynamite sticks. You can clear 6 rubberwood trees with 3 TNT... And the extra flint and string OFC.
    If you have redpower then you have an infinite source of string from flax.

You clearly don't know how to read... I DONT WANT SEVERAL REACTOR CORES BECAUSE THEY TAKE MORE SPACE AND REQUIRES ME TO FILL SEVERAL REACTORS. I don't mind the few extra blocks of iron, copper, tin etc etc.
    And the purpose of the designs is to make a SINGLE reactor as good as possible (And good isn't just efficiency...)
    But considering the quality of your posts in the past and present all over the forum i will not bother with your "any design that isn't yours is flawed" mentality anymore.

Water mills produce 1 EU packets (Not 1 EU/t, that is the average over a bunch of ticks... Currently 0.25 max)
    If you have a 0.2 EU/t output that means the water mill is sending a 1 EU packet every 5 ticks, a total of 4 packets per second.

Using a bat box as storage (which you should with water mills) means your bat box will emit two packets to the luminator every second. The luminator should blink on and off, though i haven't tested it.
    The best way to provide power to a luminator is to have an throughput of 2 EU/t or more, thus, using water mills, you need a tower of 10 water mills to make enough power to keep a luminator at it's minimal amount of light constantly.

Well, there is no obvious limit to how fast the mass fab can operate. (Besides the obvious CPU and engine limits)

I shall experiment with them later on (after i have designed the ultimate nuclear reactor) but my initial theory is:

• You can have six 512 EU packets coming into the mass fab per tick. (512 EU/t per side, a total of 3,072 EU/t)
    • The more packets you send, the faster it will go.
    • Obviously, scrap makes it go even faster (6 times faster)
    • It is probably beneficial to feed the mass fab with an automated scrap factory using Redpower 2 tubes or Buildcraft pipes considering the rate this machine operates at.
    • If you use pipes/tubes (RP2 or BC) and you want full automation you need to drop 2 sides in favor of pipes/tubes which would give you 2,048 EU/t.
    • With a fully automates setup (assuming you can produce the scrap you need) the theoretical production rate is one matter every ~4 seconds. (I think the diamond recipe is gone now, but if it isn't that's one diamond every 36.6 seconds)

Have fun!

EDIT:

There is a small problem though... This assumes packets are sent EVERY tick. By default, MFSU's and such produce one EU packet every other tick. You will have to figure out a way to make them send alternating packets. (With the added risk of big holes in your base and the loss of the mass fab and cabling)
    The wiki page hints that a mass fab that receives overvoltage will explode with the power of a nuke... That is quite a big hole! So for your own sake, should you attempt the ultimate mass fab, shield it with at least 5 layers of reinforced stone. (Test with a nuke somewhere off site to be sure your 5 layers is enough shielding)

The problem with this nerf is that now people will build even more solar/water/wind farms and/or larger versions of the same. To make up for the losses.
    That is IMHO though...

One solution would be to have a hard limit on the number of solar/wind/water generators one could make. Say 128 max of each type?
    This doesn't apply to SSP but i fear for SMP and server admins straight out removing the free power generators because they LAG the server and are free power. (Counter intuitive to the economy of SMP)

The problem with the first design is that you had a loop. Loops are never good, each design should have clear paths for items to take.
    In this case since you have to use 2 way pipes at the generators you would benefit greatly from using either RedPower 2 (RP) or the "Additional Pipes" mod. Either of those would have solved ALL your issues in one go. Both would complement each other nicely.

Oh well, you managed to get it working to your satisfaction...