Posts by Cadde

I actually tried to use Additional Pipes (The best looking, balanced addon for what I need), but I got odd graphics glitchs taht replaces random textures with the pipe texture and gave the pipes just blank.

That isn't a problem with the addon but a problem with a texture pack?
    There are many reasons as to why i am running without HD textures etc and one major one is that it is soo much work to get them to play nice with mods and especially addons.
    Another reason is simply because i like the standard looks of Minecraft, gives me that "back in the days" feeling every time i think of it. (though some texture packs surely are beautiful)

The problem i have with EE (all version i have known since the past year or so) is that out of 512 cobble, or 1 diamond you can acquire just about any resource you want.
    If i have X*512 cobble or X*diamond i no longer need to mine for:

Iron, Gold, Redstone, Diamond, Ice (eh), obsidian, dirt, gravel, sand, glass.................

So yeah, that's ONE of the problems i have with EE, though i have used server side resource trading mods in the past and enjoyed them. Basically you use credits, you sell your 2 million cobble for 200,000 credits and use those 200,000 credits to buy yourself 200 diamonds. If you then wanted to trade those 200 diamonds back into cobble you wouldn't get 2 million cobble. That is a cost associated with the trading. Buy low, sell high. Makes perfect sense!
    EE is just a way to trade (without loss) one type of resource for another.

The other problem (even bigger) i have with EE is the glowstone aggregators and obsidian Aggregators etc etc. If you set up a farm of those you never need to leave your base to find resources ever again.

Finally, all EE is about is getting OMGWTF amounts of diamonds to make the cool magicky items that allow you to use magic to make 64 tile long, 3x3 wide tunnels into the world by the click of a button. And so on... (like i said, i don't like EE and thus i never reached a stage where i had klein stars etc etc)
    So the whole point of the mod is endlessly gathering resources and/or creating them out of thin air to get yourself the end game items. At which point you have so many diamond blocks you could build the world out of diamond alone.
    If i wanted to make a diamond block castle and not have to dig out an area aquivalent to the surface of Australia i would just use TMI or even WorldEdit.

That is what i think about EE and i feel many people get the same idea or train of thought once they understand what EE actually is.

Those source blocks could just as easily be 5 blocks above the reactor core and never be consumed. Not saying this to pick at the design in the above picture but merely to point out that water doesn't evaporate outside a 5x5 block area around a nuclear reactor... Unless the reactor explodes, in which case cooling is no longer a problem anyways.

And to clear up any misunderstandings from RunningHawk, running water cools just as well as source blocks. So you don't have to surround your reactor with source blocks to ensure maximum cooling.

Well, since you're using an ICE CASUC, I would just switch to the RP tubes. No spillage and you just set a Transposer or Filter to stuff the tube with as much ice as you can per .2 seconds (on the RP timer). Should keep you're reactor SO supplied with ice you can potentially run OUT of ice and have to deal with increasing your production! I almost never see any leakage from RP tubes. If you stick too much in one, it just backstuffs the sending Trans/Filter, which is no big deal, since it'll just clear out when the Reactor has room for more ice.

I have been experimenting with the RP2-PR4 machines, and I must agree with the previous poster, it's going to become MUCH easier to set up CASUC designs. Unlike the last poster, I don't think this is a BAD thing at all! It feels MUCH more 'Reactor' like. I never did like the 'One Box to Power Them ALL' style reactors and making them work better with BC/RP pipes/tubes only brings the more complicated (and dangerous) designs into the realm of the conceivable for the rest of us!

What i am saying is that RP2's tubes are free to use. Whereas Buildcraft, unless you use redstone engines, cost resources to operate. And the Retriever (in my eyes) is a one does it all machine that is using no resources to operate. (I don't consider solar panels from RP2 to be a resource consuming process either)

As for leakage in BC pipes, there are many ways to stop leakage. There is even the great addon "additional pipes" that lets you have advanced insertion pipes to reduce the leakage.
    Though you can't use the advanced insertion pipe on a 5 chamber, bucket cooled reactor, you instead need the advanced extraction pipe (configured to pull empty buckets) so there is going to be leakage at the reactor.
    For any leaks we have the obsidian pipe, which can be powered by Buildcraft energy to suck leaked items in from up to 5 blocks away.

The problem with just BC and Additional Pipes is the flow rate. And without RP2 you need a good way to fill buckets (if you are doing a bucket CASUC) and for that we have a very good bucket filler addon for BC.
    Another problem with just BC and those two mods is retrieving empty buckets from the reactor core at the rate we need them to be extracted. For that i am using power crystals power conversion addon since it's energy link is capable of sending Buildcraft energy once per tick. Thus allowing a flow rate of 20 buckets per second using a single wooden transport pipe.

The thing with Buildcraft though is that it's wooden pipes is very lossy, you can feed them up to 256 Buildcraft energy and they will consume it all! Since our smallest voltage in IC (after an energy storage) is 32 EU we need to be clever to split that power down into 1 EU packets. You do this by using cable intersections (8 of them makes the remaining power reach 1 EU) and this power is sent to the energy link to act on the wooden pipe. So you are extracting up to 20 items from a chest per second using 1 EU per item.

Either way, point is that i have designed a reactor that can reach 1740 EU/t using buckets as a cooling system. I don't need to use RP2 and i am consuming 14 EU/t for the bucket delivery system. I could make it using RP2 PR4 using retrievers and save myself that 14 EU/t but IMHO, any mechanical work should cost something. RP2's mechanical work is FREE in all intents and purposes.

As for an ICE CASUC, you don't need to worry about leakage at the reactor since you can just use the advanced insertion pipe and make a feedback loop at the reactor. And if the rate of ice arriving at the reactor is a problem then either use the energy linker from the addon i suggested or use a combustion engine since that will pull one ice stack every .625 seconds. Doubling the number of engines (and entrance pipes) obviously doubles the rate of delivery into the system.
    For that one doesn't need to use RP2 either! And the delivery system has it's costs assigned to it. Thus you want to reduce said costs as much as you possibly can (which is part of the challenge, part of the fun) to give you an as high net gain as you possibly can.

As soon as Finite Liquid (water being finite, only replenished by rain) is updated to be forge compatible i am going to install it to make myself a CASUC. Not because finite liquid makes it easier to design a reactor or makes the net gain from such an reactor any higher... But because it makes it more challenging (and thus more fun) designing one.

expencive, and not particularly durable to serious explosions (need 3 layers, that takes a LOT of resources)

It is expensive for a reason... even though nuclear reactors doesn't produce nearly as many EU's as i would expect them too.
    I see reinforced stone as part of the reactor itself, without it you are at the mercy of the reactors habits of making holes in your base. The same way, without cooling or a shutoff system, a MK V reactor is going to be very expensive to operate as you have to rebuild it every minute or so. ;)

Plus, on my server I see no reason for an arbitrary maximum explosion cap :P

Please... I don't mean to offend you but rather point something out that i feel is odd with that logic.

E=MC² and Each action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Point is, if one is to use energy to shield against a nuclear explosion you need equally as much energy in the shield as the energy produced in the explosion. (At least that's how i think of it)
    So a shield should use more energy than the reactor itself to contain the blast. Leaving the shield up constantly means you are losing power to run the containment.

Reinforced stone is using resources that has accumulated energy in them. (hard materials are just that, natural diamonds take millions of years to form?)
    When making reinforced stone you abuse this slow process to your advantage. If you configured your reactors on your server to explode more violently you increased the number of resources needed to contain the blast.
    Aren't you cheating yourself then by using shields to contain the blast (shields being cheaper to make than a reinforced stone containment?)

Edit: after a long counting test of one chest full of scrap boxes (54*64) this came out

So, going by the rates presented... More common items are worth less, then gold dust is worth less than:

Copper ore
    Steak
    Tin dust
    Coal dust
    Iron dust
    Cake

wow, gold has really dropped in value in Minecraft... Even though you need gold for a lot of things and gold is really scarce compared to Tin, Copper and Iron etc.

Well spoken.

And really, all you want Saul_goode is a release date where there is none to be had. And you want to ask about it, that is pretty clear to me.
    So let's say there was a release date... hmm, let me just make something up like Dec 21st...
    Now, we have two options available to us here, either we release on time (and leave the release full of bugs and missing features due to lack of time) or we miss the deadline and the forums fill up with "YOU ARE LATE!" posts and "When will we get an update to MC X.Y.Z??!?!??!?!?111ONE?"
    These forums are not meant for update requests, it's not meant for complaining about release schedules. If you don't like it then that's quite alright with me (and afaik, alright with Al too) as long as you don't pester anyone on the forums about it. Because let's face it, posts asking for updates is nothing more than a plague. It clutters up the forum and wastes precious time and steals attention from more important questions/issues/discussions.

So, there is no release on Dec 21st... You will simply have to live with not knowing because nobody really truly knows until it is done. We could just as well say December 2020, it would be just as much true as any other date.
    And if there wasn't any rules about asking for release dates then this forum would be 50% spam about release dates and update requests.
    I prefer the ban rule over that prospect any day of the week.

I am using 32bit java and still have the problem of linked to setups not working. In fact, the talon site links have never worked for me. vendaria have worked on every attempt though.

Keep on trying, reinstall Java, reinstall your browser. Make sure there is no script blocking plugin active in your browser and make sure you have your browser set to allow Java applications to run.
    If all that fails then there is nothing we can do for you. You might as well throw your PC in the garbage :P:whistling:

i just finished a 590 eu/t

ice powered ca/suc using pumps and compressors

i highly reccomend you drop buildcraft in your system for redpower it makes things a lot easier to set up and configure

Well, AFAIK, BuildCraft pipes are the only ones (with the proper addon) which are capable of doing a 8 BPS 1740 EU/t CASUC at the moment... Only when IC2 is updated to MC 1.0.0 and thus becomes RP2 PR4 compatible will we see true RedPower designs that are easier to set up.
    In fact, it becomes so easy it makes me wonder why anyone would even want to set it up. They might as well install EE and use TMI to give themselves obs aggregators day one.

The only thing i am using Risu's recipe book for is finding the new recipes that aren't listed yet for IC2 1.337. (As well as the secret stuff)
    For anything else i find it much easier to use my second monitor and a web browser. Not only do i see the recipe but i can easily refresh my memory on how to operate the equipment.

If the designs share the exact same stats but one is slightly different then do it on a first come first serve basis? Otherwise you will have submissions coming in that say theirs is easier to design just because they designed it. And then people will start to argue needlessly.

But like i pointed out earlier, making a scoring system based on Efficiency vs Cost vs Output (Effective or not) is only applicable to those who need one or more of those elements.
    Are you going to make one list for efficiency, another for cost, one for Active EU/t and yet another for effective EU/t?

There is no "best" design, only improvements on designs aimed at certain needs.
    And you still haven't answered my previous question.
    Is it based on ONE reactor core or several? Because as you suggested in my thread that i should just build several cores and benefit from the resource gain. If that is the case then one could submit a good design off a single chamber that has zero relevance to the space requirements of said reactor. Which is something you should score on as well, the amount of water needed, amount of air needed and the expensiveness of the cabling. Obviously a 20 EU/t reactor is cheaper in cabling since you can use copper instead of gold. Or have to use a transformer to be able to use copper on a >32 EU reactor.

Ok, using 16 Retrievers, I have managed to get my bucket system to around 10-15 buckets per second (at a guess). Only issues are that the system still backstuffs BADLY if you shut down the reactor while it's cooling and that it takes a few minutes to get the BPS stabilized. One solution to the second problem is to fill the reactor with the initial buckets and all the remaining spaces with plating. Once the cooling starts flowing you can start to replace plating with U-Cells as the flow can handle it. I'm working on a better solution.

I'll be making a request to Eloraam for a bi-directional Filter, or a modification to the existing one (possibly a button in the Filter GUI) which will allow a Filter to act as it normally does, but also pass items through in reverse. Even an electric buffer would be nice... Similar to a Buffer but can have Blutricity and Redstone applied to pass it's contents into (or out of) an inventory as space is made.

Hmm? Is Redpower 2 Pr4 compatible with IC² 1.337 on MC 1.8.1?
    Or how are you getting retrievers to work in 1.8.1?

Are you sure it's not mauve? Or fuchsia? :rolleyes:
    Careful, Quaksen -- next thing you know he's going to be coming over to your house and telling you your "coral" curtains" don't match with your "peach" carpet...
    Actually, I shouldn't say "he" - men are content in using basic names for colors. It's women who see significant distinction between minor differences in color, which is why they feel the need to name them after plants and animals.

Well, being a programmer for a long time i know the difference between purple and magenta for pure technical reasons but thanks for the laugh!

@Quacksen
    If it's not working in vanilla MC... That is, a clean 1.8.1 jar with just ModLoader, ModLoaderMP, Buildcraft, IC² and this mod, all installed manually without the use of a texture pack, then you have done something wrong. Either your jar isn't clean or you aren't installing it correctly.
    Or you are a one in a trillion case where it simply doesn't like you... At all.

Either way, it's simply a matter of finding what the cause of the problem is and fixing it. Even IF that involves debugging the source code. I might dabble with HD Textures at some point but not today.

Are we talking single reactors here or mutli cores?
    Do we include CASUCS? How do we rank those when there are a whole bunch of external cooling components involved?
    In the case of CASUC reactors, do we count space taken over layout? (Small, hard to construct vs large easy to construct?)

And the "best" reactor really depends on the user of said reactor. Some people are short on uranium and thus need a high eff one. Others are in need of lots of power and has lots of uranium.
    Some people are prone to make mistakes, is the reactor forgiving enough for those players (not a big loss if something pops) while others are masters at designing reactors and thus can easily spot a flaw before it's too late. In short, complexity level is a factor!

And who gets to judge what design is "easier to remember"... That depends on how people choose to remember things. I remember symmetrical designs easy but my friend remembers chaotic designs easily.

EDIT: My 1740 (-14 for cooling system = 1726) Effective EU CASUC is the best i have seen so far btw. Now i am just waiting for other people to make improvements since my design is "over the top".

Having read the redpower blog earlier today; Retrievers cost bluetricity. I don't know how much, but they do.

Bluetricity is still (IMHO) free power. You just have to use those solar panels which are after all, nothing more than a more expensive recipe for the retrievers.
    Can't understand how anyone would want to have solar power as it is zero challenge in constructing and using them. Solar power in the real world makes sense because we want to avoid extra tedious work but to me, in Minecraft, it's the other way around. I want to make renewable energy from some kind of production facility. Like growing trees and using machines to cut them down. Making efficient designs to increase net energy gain after the process is completed.

Not just simply crafting a block and placing it and never having to touch it ever again. Too easy.

/rant

... Looking at your video, it was hard to tell why your wooden pipes don't pull out fuel rods from the reactor.

Additional Pipes using advanced wooden pipe (selective extraction based on item you have in the wooden pipe) and the video was made as a response to a specific thread where everything is detailed.

Link: http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&threadID=2954&pageNo=2
    That page on basically. Discussion between me and Quartz which lead to me discovering the power of the energy link... A bit OP but it works where all others fail (Redstone / other engines from other conversion mods etc) due to being blown up by the energy output of the reactor or simply not fast and reliant enough to make a 8 BPS CASUC. (BPS = Buckets per second, trying to introduce new terms)

That design can easily be throttled so that it only really operates once per second though. The energy links stop spamming buckets if redstone power is applied to them.
    And about the OP-ness of the energy links, it is still possible to change the conversion rates via config if one thinks they are too cheap.
    The real problem i have with them though is they are TOO fast for something so simple and i would much rather have like electric engines with high RPM (>120 so they can cycle more than twice per second obviously) that doesn't accept power from the reactor chambers they inevitably have to be up against if you are going to be using 4 of them.

EDIT: Or if the reactor chambers are part of the inventory of the reactor core. Allowing you to extract and insert items at the outer chambers would also solve a lot of issues. And i would switch back to electric engines from that other BC->IC conversion mod.

RedPower's retrievers will be equally great at pumping buckets and they will be free in terms of energy consumption and then we might as well use TMI to make lapo crystals... IMHO. There should be some losses in the cooling system so that you want to design an as efficient and stable coolant system as possible while making sure it doesn't become too power hungry.

On a side note, the very moment the FiniteLiquids mod becomes Forge compatible (said to happen in V6) i will install that. Imagine having to collect coolant for your reactors from the ocean and relying on downpour for said ocean to refill with water.
    Imagine building your reactor in the middle of a large tundra, pumping water from afar isn't an option due to distance. So you have to make a collection pool for rain and pray that the water collected is enough to cool your reactor.
    Like i said, i would be on top of that in an instant for the challenge!

Just so you know, you don't have to wait for (or use) retrievers to make a 8 bucket cooled full cell reactor.
    See my explanation video i made for Quartz in another thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQCc3N71FM

That is a fully operational 1740 EU/t bucket cooled reactor. There are MANY ways you can design it but it does rely on Power Crystals power converter mod for BC 2.2.5 and IC² 1.23 (which works just fine for IC² 1.337 OFC) using those power links which will act on wooden transport pipes once per tick. (No other power conversion mod i know of allows that rate of bucket extraction using BC's pipes)
    So in short, without RP2's retrievers the only way i know how is to use those energy links from that conversion mod but it does work just fine and now it's just a matter of making the design less CPU intensive. It is just a proof of concept in it's current state...

Sorry bout the horrible English, I am not that good at speaking it.