Posts by Cadde

Trying to use the Electric Treetap after upgrading to IC2 1.337... the game crashes with "saving chunks". Looks like another add-on I'll have to wait for an upgrade... ?(

Run it from a command prompt and you will get to see the error behind the scenes. Report back with your findings. (The THROW parts as per usual)

I'm here to join the crowd having texture issues with the regulator pipes - they're invisible to me as well. Gah.

Just out of curiosity (not that i think it's wrong of you to ask about it in this thread) did you consider the possibility that you need to read more about HD Textures patcher and Optifine so you learn how to include new textures for mods/addons that doesn't support them natively?
    And it doesn't help to spam a thread with "me too" posts. All it does is make people irritated and less inclined to help people with their texture packs.

I would help you solve it if it wasn't for the OVERWHELMING number of posts i have seen with "this and that Y U NO WRK" without ever considering dropping their precious HD textures or dropping the mod they can't use. Or simply reading and understanding simple instructions on how to work with (the generally unsupported features of) HD textures.

Good luck!
    Re-read the threads on HD Patcher and Optifine and search for anything relevant to adding compatible textures to mods that include transparent block types like pipes.

EDIT:

Oh btw... MCPatcher is known for causing PLENTY of incompatibility issues on it's own. Consider using Optifines HD texture files instead as they are by far more compatible with most mods.

All you need to do to make this run with 1.337 is to change the ID of the engine block in the config... It amazes me that people know how to post detailed bug reports with logs but can't catch the big warning in ModLoader.txt that clearly states

"ID 219 already assigned to BCIC2 crossover engine@luminator" <--- Not exactly that but to my best recollection. Took me 10 seconds to find and another 20 to fix in the BCIC2 crossover config file.

Just a little note, you can make sand from cobble with is >9000 times more abundant than dirt.

Sand is still not abundant though unless you consider power abundant, which since you are using solar power i would say you have the power of a thousand lifetimes...

Actually, his statement is not incorrect, merely misinterpreted. From the wiki:

It's easy to see how someone could draw the wrong conclusion. After all, until the output was doubled, you could in fact use that means to derive the efficiency as well.

Then the wiki article is also outdated and needs to be corrected... And it's also ambiguous:

Efficiency
    To calculate efficiency, take the number of uranium pulses a design makes per tick and divide it by the number of uranium cells it possesses.
    The number provided will show the efficiency rating a design has:

Code
    Number                            Rating
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Exactly 1                         EE
    Greater than 1 but less than 2    ED
    2 or greater but less than 3      EC
    3 or greater but less than 4      EB
    4 or greater                      EA

It might one have been possible to derive efficiency ratings from EU / cells but that was merely due to each pulse producing 5 EU and not 10 EU.
    Efficiency is the number of pulses you get from your cells and has always been. The definition has never actually had any relation to the amount of EU's you get.
    It just happened to be that it was possible to derive efficiency from total EU's because they happened to have a 5 EU/pulse generation.

EDIT: I've updated the wiki article btw.

Nobody even bothered about bucket cooling without Redpower 2 or BC installed.

Eff is the amounts of eu produced per uranium cell. Output got doubled so eff has to be doubled too.

And they bothered with ice?
    Sure, you can stack ice giving you a total of 12,800 cooling per ice stack in 1.23 but did people actually make use of the SUC concept? Or did they move on over to CASUC immediately, skipping the SUC builds?
    There's not much gain to be had from either ice nor buckets unless you have a CASUC reactor. Then it's better to just make a MK I or MK II-E reactor. (Or a pulser using redstone timing circuits)

EDIT:

"Eff is the amounts of eu produced per uranium cell. Output got doubled so eff has to be doubled too."

No it doesn't have to be doubled... Your efficiency ratio is not a measure of the amount of power you are getting out of your cells but a measure of the average number of cycles you get out of your cells.
    So if you pair two cell then both those cells will tick twice (for a total of 4 pulses) per reactor tick, thus giving you an efficiency rating of 2. If you pair 2 cells and slot another cell that isn't paired then you get a total of 5 pulses over 3 cells. It's a simple matter of dividing the number of pulses you get with the number of cells you have. Not the amount of EU you get, the tutorial post in this forum is outdated (and wrong in that regard)

Saying anything else just shows how little you understand about the reactors...

Here, i made a demonstration video (just for kicks) that shows what i meant by splitting power.

EDIT: Helps to post the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkHIHtHnPjk

If you want to we could join forces on an SMP server (i can provide, i have 100 MBit/s and a decent CPU) and exchange ideas. Providing all the mods you have are SMP compatible OFC.
    Or if you have a good internet connection we could share screens over TeamViewer. (easier)

EDIT #2: It works with Obs pipes too! From a bat box it draws 5 EU/t.
    And wooden transport pipes next to a bat box draws 32 EU/t instead of 128 EU/t as it did from the MFSU

Wrong? Isn't the fuel life unchanged but the output doubled? That would mean double the EU/cell and the "efficiency" number is actually the same as how many million EU you get per uranium stick.

What he meant was that, if you can get twice the amount of EU/t and thus twice the amount of EU's out of a cell then efficiency is also more important. But he forgot about the other two generators (The normal one and Geothermal ones) having been buffed as well.
    Efficiency is:

Time to find said resources = Value of said resources = energy content of said resources

It takes just as long as before to find uranium ore and lava and trees... So rarity hasn't changed and neither has the energy content relationship between said resources... Except for bio fuels and such small things, but that only makes uranium ore less valuable in relation to the other type of generator... So if anything, the value of U-Cells has decreased and thus efficiency isn't as important anymore. Instead, EU/t is still quite important so that you can outperform those other generators by a large margin. It just happens that the highest possible EU/t also has the highest possible efficiency but requires you to make a CASUC generator...

Another way of saying it is, nothing much has changed except you now need less generators, geogenerators and reactors to do the same amount of work as you had to have in 1.23.

... Power Crystal's Power Converters ...

Ah yes, i (re) stumbled on that when i did another google search. (Damn google gives me all kinds of different results every time i search)
    I am going to give it a try and see if i can make something happen with that.

How can you possibly split a current down to 1 EU/t? I don't see it possible. It won't just split in half every junction. Current in IC2 goes the way it wants to. Charging everything at the end of the cable but at different rate and sometimes different order.

There are many ways in THEORY but AFAIK, when you make a row of MFSU's and split the cabling it splits the packet in half. Another option is to convert to LV and set up 31 recyclers (they draw 1 EU/t each and you are going to use them anyways i presume... What else are you going to use 1,800 EU/t for if not matter generators which benefit from loads of scrap...)
    This is how i make sure my MFSU's don't explode. I split the output cable (EV) into 4 different MFSU "lanes" and neither explodes.

Fibres are not connected to chambers. They begin at HV-transformer, which you can see at this screenshot.

While it was perfectly obvious to you (you designed it after all) all i saw in that place was an MFSU... They share the same side texture after all. ^^
    It never occurred to me that it was actually a HV transformer downgrading from EV to HV... *mrrrr*

But weird thing: while doing measurements with reactor somewhat partly full I measured 0 EU/t on 3 out of 4 cables and 650 EU/t on 4th cable. Nothing seemed to be currently exploding or melting, but I wonder how it'll work after being updated. I made my reactor to stand the doubled output change as well as bucket cooling nerf, but current just seems not willing to split in 4 cables while it can go via only one.

You can get odd measurements with the EU reader. I use my G15 "spam right click" macro to measure it on a per tick basis. I can see individual packets this way! ;)
    Use AutoHotkey or some other macro app and you can make a RMB spammer too! It really helps during constuction. (Filling water holes is simply a matter of holding the spam key and walking forwards, it makes the ground before you cross the edge)
    ETC ETC...

... If you have any ideas on how to pick up leaks from one block (all 100% buckets are ejected upwards - before I thought this would be a blessing - now I know it's a curse). One obsidian pipe can only pick up 1 bucket per tick and I need it to do 8. I am not going to install a separate desynchroniser for obsidian pipes lol.

Hmm, seeing as how you don't want to waste any energy... That will be quite difficult. But what i see in your screenshot is that your obsidian pipes are not directed AT the reactor. That could be a contributing cause.
    And you are using redstone engines which only makes the obs pipes suck 1 block in front of them.

I use (but that's going to change to power crystals mod soon) those small electric engines to power my obs pipes. They are equivalent to stone engines and draw 2.5 EU/t if i keep them running constantly. They can draw in 25 buckets on the first half rev and 50 on a full cycle.
    Let's say i trigger them once every 20 seconds, then the effective EU/t would be far less. Maybe you could use Stone engines for just this design and use AP to send some stick (yes, you can power stone engines with sticks. And they only hold 200 MJ of energy per stick, not much waste) using adv insertion pipes. (no stick leaks)
    Since you have BC, a fully automated tree farm is possible but it's a science on it's own... Once again, RP2 would help in this area. (Not meaning to nag you but really, RP2 is GREAT and a lot of players have RP2 installed. Especially CASUC players)
    Either way, it's a huge difference between the sucking area of a redstone engine and a stone engine on an obs pipe.

Well, i will re-read those designs you posted to figure out how to make 8 flow with just redstone engines or i will just figure something out.
    Time to get crackin'

Beg for resources? Or at least borrow something from someone who can afford it and re-pay double once you are set up.
    That's what most of us do when we arrive late to the party. The true multiplayer experience can only be had on a new freshly generated world. (Unless the server is PvP, in which case you should join an alliance or form one)

Or you could just TMI yourself some charged Lapotrons, or use Equivalent Exchange to convert cobblestone to coal and run generators or something.

Cheating is cheating. Clearly teleportation across vast distances of unlimited numbers of items ought to cost SOMETHING in the way of resources other than 1 diamond/pipe and uh some other minor resource.

Only reason that Additional Pipes doesn't charge anything is that Zeldo needs a faster computer (or spacetoad needs to optimize his code). They were intended for reducing computational load, not as a cheap trick.

Everybody to their own, at least they aren't using EE or TMI but are actually building something.
    What's the difference here between using BC's pipes besides a longer transport time of said power and more lag?

Lapotrons doesn't come cheap and it is cheaper to build EV cables. So you decide what your needs are... More resources left after the build or less EU losses.
    Sure, once you have this system set up you have endless free transmission but at that stage in the game you could just as well have build solar farms anywhere you wanted free power using far less expensive materials.

Well, i am all for more complexity. I would love it if we had to pump water. Cool said water down. Insert said water to reactor core through the use of another set of pumps. Wait for the water to cool the reactor core and turn into steam. Use said steam for a steam generator (a lot more effective than the other types of generators we have) and then needing to cool said steam and store it to remove any radioactive contamination from it. Venting radioactive steam would cause all redstone based circuits in the area to to haywire and kill off any living thing in the area such as animals, mobs and plantlife! (including the player, unless in a radioactive suit)
    Then, depleted uranium cells would need to be extracted by machine (unless the player wants to go into the core and fetch them by hand... Using a radioactive suit which will degrade over time when exposed to radioactive elements or steam etc) and fed into a breeder.
    And there would be nuclear waste products that would have to be put in a storage compartment that is shielded and buried underground. Going in there without a radioactive suit would mean you DIE a horrible death.

There should be failure rates on all equipment so that if one coolant pump would fail for a moment there needs to be redundancy... Should an simulated earthquake happen there is a chance of radioactive steam leaking from the pipes (which could happen during normal operation too but not on the scale we would see during a quake) which would require a Fukushima hero workforce to clean up.

Or, just make the whole reactor block and chambers a lot more complex allowing some very interesting new designs to crop up.

But as it stands now, i don't why buckets where nerfed so bad considering the difficulties involved in making a bucket based CASUC where an ICE based is simply a matter of putting a inlet pipe and feeding it with ice blocks.

EDIT:

Oh, and if reactors aren't meant to be CASUC then remove the ability to SUC them like you proposed. Just don't make it "easy mode" please. I don't want to build one out of a few bits and bobs and then be able to leave them to their little thing.
    It should be a complete art form to design a reactor IMHO and to get that extra EU/t would require some extreme tinkering to accomplish the goals.

water can be pumped which is a huge advantage over icecooling.

Also eff should be doubled. 2 uran cells making 40 eu/tick should give 4 eff not 2 but reactor planner shows 2.

How would you make ICE unless you pumped water? The pump can pump water and unlike 1.23 you can now attach a pump to a compressor to make snowballs which you them compress into ice.
    Thus water can be pumped for ice too.

And efficiency of uranium hasn't been changed. 2 cells still give 2 eff, not 4 and the planner is correct.

GAAH, obviously! But how do you get a BPS (Bucket Per Second) flow of 4 using just one engine? That engine has to cycle at least 4 times per second then... No? And the only engine i have that does that is the industrial one... Which eats all my EU's in a split second.

You were asking if the addon I am using provides such converters. Yes, it does and you can attach them to wooden extracting pipe. The problem is they are consuming 100% of power you apply to them. Always. Even when doing nothing. You apply 1000 EU, it consumes 1000 EU.
    Regulator pipes? What are regulator pipes? I am not using them.

Well, if a forcefully split the EU into 1 EU sized packets (can do that with cable junctions you know), would it still suck a bucket out through the extraction pipe? And does it do this on every tick or is it once every 0.x seconds? Mind posting a link to the addon you are using? Since you don't know what a regulator pipe is i am assuming it's an addon i haven't seen yet.

Yes, this is MFSU up there, but it had no reason to explode so far and I don't expect it to do so ;) since 1800 EU/t (old 900) is distributed on 4 fibre cables as you can see on the picture.

No i never saw the fibre cables attached DIRECTLY to the reactor core and that's why i was concerned. You see, if your reactor produces 1800 packets then anything that doesn't handle that large packets (HV transformers, Matter Generators and Terraformers) would explode.
    But i recently came across some oddities with MFSU where they seem to allow larger than 512 EU packets to enter them. Or maybe it's that i just assumed the reactor is outputting a >512 EU/s packet when it infact outputs several 512 EU packets between each reactor tick?

And now to the more interesting subject. How can you get a 8 BPS flow (in both ways) using just one side of the reactor? One redstone engine will only pull one bucket per second and thus you would need 8 redstone engines around a wooden extraction pipe to pull 8 buckets from the reactor per second. (Not counting the resyncing and the fact redstone engines never cycle exactly once per second)
    Am i missing something vitally important here? I see on page one that you have 2x3 redstone engines on opposite sides? Is that on opposite sides of the wooden pipe? Are you saying that if you chain redstone engines they tick the wooden pipe?
    If that is the case then i need to read up on the BC source once more...

Its the correct link i can make like 4 of those for the same resources as 1 of yours. That and it has better eff.

I have a 2.0 eff design above... And you can't make 4 of those using the same resources as 1 of mine... Three you can make though.
    But refueling one reactor is faster and more convenient than refueling 3 or more.
    Plus, this is about designing the best single reactor, not the best X number of reactors in an array. If that was the case then i could just as well use 5 billion solar panels and call victory over the universe... Except the universe would LAG.
    And one reactor takes up enough space as it is (i want to reduce the footprint of my power plants, not increase them) so I'd rather not triple the size of the reactors just to save a few extra blocks of iron, copper, tin and what else...

And here, just for the sake of interest I made a small eff 2.0 reactor that has two thirds the output of my 6 chamber design above. And 2 of these are probably cheaper than your 3 reactors and easier to maintain.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1o10101001501521s1r11r10

Thanks for the effort though.

you must first melt that ice to water and then heat up to boil. that take quite lot of heat. so yes it is realistic that ice take cool more than water.

Well, the problem is ice is easier to use in a reactor... You can stack 64 ice per slot while you can only have a single bucket in a slot... UNLESS ofc a reactor allows stacks of buckets now?
    And even then, you have to remove the empty buckets from the reactor whereas ice just melts and evaporates leaving no bucket behind.

So yeah, ice is colder than water but water is a lot more difficult to use as a coolant...

Sort of like how redstone engines are a bit too cheap in buildcraft? You're only seeing very basic ground work tools. The things that operate on a physics level like your toilet flushing, or spring loaded safety systems that kick in without any command; or with just the most basic commands (filters/retrievers?). You might have noticed, if you use the items, that progressively more useful components require more energy to operate. The sorting machine that tags the items for various colored pipe destinations is said to use blutricity (IIRC). In buildcraft diamond pipes, gold pipes, etc operate for free.

Well DUUUH? If i think RP2 is cheap then obviously i think anything that operates off of pure redstone power (pistons, doors, you name it) and "magic" is cheap... Flushing a toilet is not free btw... It takes power from your hand to pull the plunger or push it depending on the design and if it's an automatic flushing toilet then it takes electricity to detect when you made a load and so on...
    And it takes power to pump new water into the toilet... Nothing is free in the real world... Your comparisons are thus MOOT. A spring loaded safety system still requires work (energy) to be compressed into it's ready state.

So yeah, i would very much love it if everything that does some kind of mechanical or electrical work required energy to be generated and/or stored. But that wouldn't be "fun gameplay" for others. Just me, so whatever. Still would love to see it happen in some way.

Reactor related changes are:
    - Outputed EU doubled by default, heat levels unchanged.

YAY, except now Generators and GeoGenerators also output x2 the power so over all it's not a reactor buff but a Solar/Wind/Water nerf (which is awesome on it's own) and a buff for energy generation in general (except for solar/wind/water)
    Still makes we question the benefits of making a 120 EU/t reactor over using 6 Geotherms which are a simple matter of making a bunch of empty cells and using my right click macro on my G15 keyboard to empty pools of lava and return home with some 500+ lava cells.
    Sure, i don't have to refuel my reactors as frequently (i can still place a full stack of lava cells in a geogen though) and i don't have to make as frequent trips to lava pools (or the nether, where i can have >9000 lava cells in a jiffy) but i just get the feeling the normal generators could have stayed as they are and made solar/wind/water generators ½ the output and nuclear 2x the output.

- Heat dispensors no-longer jealously keep one point of heat to themselves no matter how long you wait for them to cool.

Never had an issue with this but it's a bugfix so YAY?

- Ice blocks reduce heat by 300 and requires the hull to be at 300 heat before being used.
    - Water buckets reduce heat by 250

:thumbdown: This just makes it easier to make ice based CASUC over bucket based ones. And bucket based CASUC requires more mechanics to operate and as such are harder to use.

I bet EE people will be extatic over this change as they now can make 1820 EU/t reactors (which is equal to a 910 EU/t reactor in 1.23, where they used to have a max of 845 EU/t in 1.23) using their OP obsidian aggregators or whatever they have for FREE resource overload.
    It also makes it pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to make a useful CASUC deisgn with buckets maxing out at 4 buckets per second in a 5 chamber and 8 buckets per second in a 4 chamber... (making a 4 chamber possibly more effective than a 5 chamber using buckets)
    The results are that now a bucket fed CASUC cannot outperform ICE (1010 in a 5 chamber and 1510 in a 4 chamber) in any possible way. Who would ever want to use buckets ever again for reactor cooling???

Right... Buckets are free to get and (assuming we aren't using EE to make ice) making ice costs power. Let's look into the compressor rates shall we?
    First, we need to produce 6 ice blocks per second to keep our reactor cool. (300 * 6 = 1800 heat cooled, our 1820 EU/t reactor produces 1809 without water blocks around it, i assume we can squeeze in 20 water blocks around a 5 chamber CASUC relying on ICE, so it's a non issue. (Giving us 1789 excess heat)

EDIT: All this below is wrong... See my additional edit below!

6 ice blocks = 625 EU * 6 = 3750 EU = 187.5 EU/t
    or...
    1 ice block = 625 / 2 = 312.5 ticks = 15.65 seconds to make one ice block.
    Thus...
    One ice block per second = 16 compressors
    Six ice blocks per second = 96 compressors
    96 compressors will draw 192 EU/t

Ok, that's a LOT of compressors BUT... Considering you could make a net gain of 118 EU/t with an ice based reactor over a bucket based one. Where an ICE based (while a lot more expensive in compressors) is EASIER to build than a bucket based one. And a bucket based one can require as many as 324 buckets (486 iron ore blocks) to keep the flow going, not to mention a lot of piping. A diamond and the resources to build whatever engines and redstone you need to pump the buckets at a constant 4 or 8 buckets per second...

Either way, i foresee that nobody is ever going to wanna build a bucket based CASUC now... Which is very sad since they are indeed much harder to design and operate safely.

EDIT: I forgot about the snowballs... You have to make snowballs to make ice blocks. So that's really 384 EU/t and 192 compressors... Making a bucket CASUC a possible 266 EU/t gain over an ICE based one (except for those using EE, which is still as pointed out above the compressor calculations...)

But we still need to remember just how hard it is to make a bucket based CASUC and now we can only make a 1510 EU/t CASUC (IN THEORY) with buckets (equivalent to a 755 EU/t in 1.23 where we used to have a theoretical max of 960 EU/t which would be equivalent to a 1,920 EU/t in IC² l33t)

Oh, while i am at it, we can now make 2,400 EU/t reactors when they are filled with just U-cells in a 6 chamber and pulse them for 1 second and let them cool for 72 seconds (Though it would be safer to let them cool for 80 ore more) giving us some MAD amounts of EU's at 4.44 eff.
    It would require 80 (at a 80 seconds cooldown) reactors to get an effective 2,400 EU/t out of your nuclear plant... For some reason i get the feeling this is more viable than making a CASUC... (Without TMI or EE that is to make free ice coolant)

... It just rubs me the wrong way that Al made buckets worse than ICE that's all.