Posts by Lomsor

Nice to see some bigger changes to the old lady IC2 ...
    Any signs for new textures? That's one part I thought IC2 was falling behind pretty rapidely.

But anyway. Could someone explain to me exactly how the new e-net will work. I guess it still is total bogus and not realistic at all, right? So no more packets? How is energy send now?

Need to make a new version of my EU-loss calculator.

Long time no update ....

Does anyone still use my calculator? Is it listed in some kind of Industrial helper Index? ( If there isn't one there should be. Took me quite some time to find a reactor calculator back then.)

Did anything change? New cables? Different vallues? Poppular addons or mods that miss such a calculator?

I just want to keep this thing up to date.

Greetings Lomsor

Sometimes I feel that this section of the forum is totally useless. This extreme 'sorting' of ideas is redicolous. Sure there are some 'not that great ideas' but some of the arguments to 'put those ideas down' could apply to every suggestion. Every single one.

If someone suggested a crop system before it was introduce I guess it would have gotten the same response.

I think a mobile base to grind up and compress resources from your mining trips would be great. But I would like it more as some kind of tent or something.

Complex machines? You've never installed Redpower or BC together with IC².

With these Mods you can make extreme complex customized Machines which are producing stuff automatically, so its not needed to make GIANT-HUGE-MEGA-MACHINES like you described.

That may be true. But I find it kind of strange that most part of these machines are cables, redwires, tubes/pipes instead of the actual machines that do the work.

I would love some kind of huge generators or processing machines. How it is now it's ok for a workshop where you got your set of little helping blocks that grind up your ore or cook your beef ... but do you put 10 electric kitchen furnaces into a factory or one big one?

If you want some real Resource based economy on a server, the first step its to forget about frigging automation. You need to have an eye on the whole thing for it to actually work out.

Why forget about automation? Isn't that the key to reach post scarcity?

(Just deleted my whole text by accident ... well then from the start)

Hello everyone,

I'm running a low populated Modified Bukkit Server. I've took over Administration of it after some intern conflicts and moved it to a v-server since then. It runs various mods and plugins. Info for who is interested.

After watching over this server for some months I didn't like how the social structure and the economy behaved. There where massive inflation or deflation giant imbalance between the players and it supported power-hungry people.

So today I came up with an great idea. Based on the possibilities of IC2 (has the least part in my idea but I like the forum, that's why I post here), RP2 (and it's future features) or ComputerCraft it is possible to create a nearly inflation- and deflation-free dynamic Resource Based Economy.

First we need an item that normal players can't obtain naturally trough crafting, mining, whatever. I choose the IC coin :Industrial Credit: (with crafting switched off in the config). Another possibility would be to use virtual money like an account system, but it has the drawback that it doesn't interact with the world as coins do ... a combination would be also a good solution.

After we got our "Credits" (virtual or in item form) we create a (nearly) infinite pool of those credits. The central bank. The only source for credits. New RBE systems can be build somewhere else on the map/other world but they all use the money from the central bank. A closed system where only the bank can create money. No interest, no tax, no fees. The only hole in the system is when the coins are physically destroyed (dropped in lava).

Now how do people get coins? That's the work of the central trade facility. Depending on the possibility of the Mod (either RP control or Computer craft connected to retrievers and detectors (the more intelligent the retrievers an the detectors are the better (receive and send Block/Item IDs!))) and the size of the facility they can support trade up to ALL items and blocks.

Now how does that facility look like? Essentially a Trade Center is a huge storage facility with a Computer at the front end, the computer has data about the current stored objects and monitors and controls the input and output of that storage.
    The computer runs a special program. The Resource Based Economy program. This program trades you "Credits" for objects. But not on a fixed price and not on the demand. It's based on the storage.

When the system is first build on the server there should be just one Trade Center and one Central Bank. Player can build their own trade facility and Banks and run the exact same program as the Central Trade Center but the only source for "Credits" is the Central Bank. You can only receive "Credits" if you trade with the Central Trade Center witch is connected to the Central Bank.
    So at the beginning the Central Bank has all the money () and the Central Trade Center is empty. Now we need the Base Price. It's the maximum an item can be worth. I choose 64 :Industrial Credit: because it's a nice stack of coins. Another thing we need is the price/storage function. Ok ... was looking for good functions (2 hours) and came to to the conclusion that "64*1.01^-x" is quite good (1.01 would be good for small servers).

So the function would be: P=w*m^-s
    Where "P" is the price, "w" is the max worth, "m" is the multiplier base number (Depending how steep the price should drop depending on the storage, good values are from 1.1 to 1.0001 try it here ) and "s" would be the number of items in storage.

So everything is set up. The first player comes to the trade facility and wants to sell one :Industrial Diamond: .

Now the calculation starts. First the system calculates the worth of every item separately (so you can't exploit a price difference)
    There are zero :Industrial Diamond: in the storage. Using the formula the computer calculates the price. The end result is 64 :Industrial Credit: witch are outputted and can be picked up by the player or is stored on his bank account.

Another example. Now someone else wants to sell 4 :Industrial Diamond: . He inputs them into the system.
    What the system calculates:
    64*1.01^-1=63.4
    64*1.01^-2=62.7
    64*1.01^-3=62.1
    64*1.01^-4=61.5
    Results is: 249.7 ... 250 :Industrial Credit:

The values for the storage database is updated during the calculation, but the items are send in stacks after that to reduce lag.

So what do you think. Has this potential?

Also sorry for wall of text. I could have made it a bit more "compressed"

Thanks.

How it works (or how I think it works) is by adding the loss of every cable (It's EU/b vallue) the Electricity travels trough and then round the result down.

So if you have 39 tin cables and 4 Copper cables that would be ...

Tin Cables alone ...
    0.025*39=0.975
    Copper alone ...
    0.2*4=0.8

Both combined ...
    0.025*39+0.2*4=1.775 after rounding 1

Also on another note ... I finally bought a domain ... don't know why I waited that long.

Sorry to hear about that ?( ... As you may guess I didn't take that into account. I may create such a version or function ... what combination of colors or black and white or Grey would be best?

Edit: I worked a lot with colors so I could put more information in less space. Also for the background color I chose to use darker Grey so the different colors could be seen more easily. I guess the brightness of the Grey and the colors of the text are quite close to each other ... that may create that effect.

Percentage of loss?
    For example "Power Lost: %20"

Already requested and implemented ... do you see the "- Show results in percentage" tick box on the top right?

It's a bit difficult ... I really love Redstone/Wiring and RP2 is really heavy on that stuff. Gates, bundeled cables. Then sawing blocks to smaller things and covering stuff witch is really revolutionary. All good. But I don't like this "all in one" thing.

Eloraam adds Tubes witch are simmilar to pipes. And Bluetricity witch is similar to IC2 Power.
    IC allready has cables and power. And Buildcraft has pipes and adds signal processing and transmission.
    Of course it's different and she can add whatever she wants.

But why not work together ... at least cooperate a little bit. Competition is one thing but when you overtake someone and take all his customers the others work is lost.

Hey everyone ... I've updated CLC. It includes now:

Could you change it to a percentage (or just add a percentage somewhere), eg if I lose 32 EU and I am using 128 EU packets it should have 25% loss somewhere- would be very handy :D.

Percentage!

Nice thing but the numbers in the darkgrey fields of the table confuse the hell out of me, I understood that the color shows if a combination is good or bad but that's it.
    If they show the loss, then why does Glassfiber show for 121 EUt over 200 blocks 1210 in green in the 1eu packet row?

Overall Colors! With Parabola modifier so that you can see a difference even at lower numbers!

Thanks for the requests and feedback!

Edit:
    Wow the lowering of the Glass Fibre Cable is impressive. 5%(@512EU-P) Loss over 1000 Blocks compared to 39%(@2048EU-P) With HV Cable! 8| But expensive he ... :Industrial Diamond:

Some questions:
    What's the max output of the nuclear reactor? It would be handy to know to update the wiki.

Hello Everyone!

Some weeks/month ago I started playing IndustrialCraft2. And I'm the thinker type of person, always engeneering new stuff. So I was wondering about the cables and how they work. It was really confusing and the wiki didn't really help. But then I found this part of the forum and suddenly I understood how all those :Glass Fibre: and :LV-Transformer: and :Batbox: work and so on. So I sat down and updated the wiki. Adding more info to EU and Cable Loss.
    To help others in this situation and to help deciding what cable to use I decided to create a JavaScript Cable Loss Calculator! Now after 2 weeks it's done (learned javascript from scratch :whistling: ).

You can find it at this link below on my server:

Cable Loss Calculator

Im open to feedback and bugreports. Please tell me what you think.

Greetings Lomsor

Changelog:

1.03:

• Updated Glass Fibre Cable
    • Changed Collor-Function to take whole table instead of just row in account.
    • Changed Collor-Function to a Parabola (x^0.15)
    • Added Percentage mode.
    • ... nothing more ... I think :huh: