Cable Loss Calculator - CLC

• Hello Everyone!

Some weeks/month ago I started playing IndustrialCraft2. And I'm the thinker type of person, always engeneering new stuff. So I was wondering about the cables and how they work. It was really confusing and the wiki didn't really help. But then I found this part of the forum and suddenly I understood how all those :Glass Fibre: and :LV-Transformer: and :Batbox: work and so on. So I sat down and updated the wiki. Adding more info to EU and Cable Loss.
    To help others in this situation and to help deciding what cable to use I decided to create a JavaScript Cable Loss Calculator! Now after 2 weeks it's done (learned javascript from scratch :whistling: ).

You can find it at this link below on my server:

Cable Loss Calculator

Im open to feedback and bugreports. Please tell me what you think.

Greetings Lomsor

Changelog:

1.03:

• Updated Glass Fibre Cable
    • Changed Collor-Function to take whole table instead of just row in account.
    • Changed Collor-Function to a Parabola (x^0.15)
    • Added Percentage mode.
    • ... nothing more ... I think :huh:
  • That is very nice, good job! *bookmarks* :)

There is a typo at the start: "Enter total EU traveling trough cable", should be "travelling through cable"

• Nice thing but the numbers in the darkgrey fields of the table confuse the hell out of me, I understood that the color shows if a combination is good or bad but that's it.
    If they show the loss, then why does Glassfiber show for 121 EUt over 200 blocks 1210 in green in the 1eu packet row?

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• Could you change it to a percentage (or just add a percentage somewhere), eg if I lose 32 EU and I am using 128 EU packets it should have 25% loss somewhere- would be very handy :D.

• Hey everyone ... I've updated CLC. It includes now:

Could you change it to a percentage (or just add a percentage somewhere), eg if I lose 32 EU and I am using 128 EU packets it should have 25% loss somewhere- would be very handy :D.

Percentage!

Nice thing but the numbers in the darkgrey fields of the table confuse the hell out of me, I understood that the color shows if a combination is good or bad but that's it.
    If they show the loss, then why does Glassfiber show for 121 EUt over 200 blocks 1210 in green in the 1eu packet row?

Overall Colors! With Parabola modifier so that you can see a difference even at lower numbers!

Thanks for the requests and feedback!

Edit:
    Wow the lowering of the Glass Fibre Cable is impressive. 5%(@512EU-P) Loss over 1000 Blocks compared to 39%(@2048EU-P) With HV Cable! 8| But expensive he ... :Industrial Diamond:

Some questions:
    What's the max output of the nuclear reactor? It would be handy to know to update the wiki.

• Some questions:
    What's the max output of the nuclear reactor? It would be handy to know to update the wiki.

The absolute maximum you run it like this for more than a handful of seconds and it's a bomb maximum? 2400 EU/t
    Note your basically not going to see a configuration like that. Something more "realistic" would be missing a chamber, the top layer would be empty and it would have ice being pumped in. Still a bomb waiting to happen though.

• You asked for one, i will give you three...

The max output of the reactor using ONLY uranium cells is 2,400 EU/t with a max generation time of 6 seconds.
    With a water CASUC you can get 1740 EU/t and run it forever as long as you supply (and remove) 8 buckets per second.
    With an ice CASUC you can get 1820 EU/t and run it forever as long as you supply 6 ice blocks per second.

EDIT: Err, i forgot to remove a chamber on the ice CASUC, it's 1820... Not 2050! And 6 ice blocks per sec.

• Thanks for the answers. Just noticed RawCode just updated EU on the WIKI. I asked because nothing can support 2400EU-Packets and it would burn any wire and device even EV-Travos.

• Thanks for the answers. Just noticed RawCode just updated EU on the WIKI. I asked because nothing can support 2400EU-Packets and it would burn any wire and device even EV-Travos.

Well, a HV transformer on a reactor chamber that is converting to HV will survive the reactors output AFAIK. Even then, attaching more than 1 cable to the reactor will (AFAIK) split the 2,400 EU packet into smaller packets.
    Even so, I don't even think there is a >2048 EU/packet check on HV transformers converting down to HV... Only one way to know for sure eh?

• I'm glad Someone made a calculator like this but i gotta say.. since i'm color blind It's very difficult for my eyes to make out a few of the colors from the background. Would there happen to be a version of this that uses something I personally could more easily read? IE something that uses symbols instead of colors?

and yes i do have trouble discerning green from orange

Edit: What i mean to say is, Not only is it the green from orange.. but the color of the background happens to be one that causes everything to blend to my eyes so i strain to be able to make out the numbers

• Sorry to hear about that ?( ... As you may guess I didn't take that into account. I may create such a version or function ... what combination of colors or black and white or Grey would be best?

Edit: I worked a lot with colors so I could put more information in less space. Also for the background color I chose to use darker Grey so the different colors could be seen more easily. I guess the brightness of the Grey and the colors of the text are quite close to each other ... that may create that effect.

Percentage of loss?
    For example "Power Lost: %20"

Already requested and implemented ... do you see the "- Show results in percentage" tick box on the top right?

• the easiest colors for Me personaly to be able to read without having to strain my vision are Black, white, Grey, red, and blue. Greens yellows and some oranges blend to easily. There are a few diffrent forms of color blindness though and each person is different so if anyone else who has a similar problem with the loss calculator please post!

• The calculator is great! I'm glad that you have the percentage checkbox, and personally will always have it checked.

Do you know anything about loss when combining multiple types of cable? When I have an array of solar cells or waterwheels, I usually use tin cable for all the junctions (no loss for 39 meters), then switch to insulated copper (no loss for 4 meters), before finally going to a batbox or transformer. But, I wonder if I could just alternate between tin and copper indefinitely without loss.

Do you know how this is handled?

What about forks? If there is 5 insulated copper for a line, it will have loss, but what if those 5 copper insulated pieces are forked, so that no path is longer than 4? Is there loss then?

• Thanks.

How it works (or how I think it works) is by adding the loss of every cable (It's EU/b vallue) the Electricity travels trough and then round the result down.

So if you have 39 tin cables and 4 Copper cables that would be ...

Tin Cables alone ...
    0.025*39=0.975
    Copper alone ...
    0.2*4=0.8

Both combined ...
    0.025*39+0.2*4=1.775 after rounding 1

Also on another note ... I finally bought a domain ... don't know why I waited that long.

• Long time no update ....

Does anyone still use my calculator? Is it listed in some kind of Industrial helper Index? ( If there isn't one there should be. Took me quite some time to find a reactor calculator back then.)

Did anything change? New cables? Different vallues? Poppular addons or mods that miss such a calculator?

I just want to keep this thing up to date.

Greetings Lomsor

• I don't think you should update it, because cable loss are easy to calculate, compared to Nuclear Things ...

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• ^ I don't know that I'd say that. What I would say is, you probably don't need to update it because cables haven't really changed. It should all be accurate still.