Posts by CiderCraft

Old Suggestion Thread

Version 1.3.2.0 built on forge #303, untested and unsupported on other versions.

Version 1.2a built on forge #171, untested and unsupported on other versions.

Nothing fancy here, this is basically just me trying to learn to mod.

Adds two boats to the game, a Rubber Dinghy and a Carbon-Fibre Canoe. Apart from the following changes, they behave the same as vanilla boats.

Rubber dinghy: Can survive stronger collisions (at +15% speed) than wooden boats, and will capsize (drops the boat item, pick it up and replace it) instead of shattering on impact. Very strong impacts (+30%) will damage the boat, which will need to be repaired with a piece of rubber (shapeless recipe).
    Carbon-Fibre Canoe: Very strong boat, can survive most impacts but will still capsize on extremely hard (+100%) collisions. Always drops the canoe item when broken.

Recipes: Rubber or Carbon Plates in boat pattern.

Textures are temporary, I can't draw to save my life.

Installation: Drop in /mods

Thanks to:
    Everyone who contributed to the suggestion thread
    Spocane and Jeet for bug reports
    Player for pointing out Forge's config code
    Everyone in #Direwolf20 on EsperNet. Find me in there, #Industrial-Craft and #CiderCraft

And the following folks for their videos of the addon in action!
    JeetTol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gjPRAZo94
    thejereman13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeKyDXDnSM
    ultimate_omega http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkM8u09eYw

Go check out redled72's awesome 64x texture pack! [64x] CiderBoats (Mod) - Texture Pack (by Redled72)

Possible future ideas: wrench one-click pickup.

1. Get either winrar or 7zip, and install it (you need one of these to open certain files).
    2. Go to your minecraft folder, then the bin folder, then make a copy of the minecraft.jar file as a backup.
    3. Open the minecraft.jar file, look for the META-INF folder, and delete it.
    4. Get Modloader, open it's file, and copy everything inside into your minecraft.jar, and overwrite anything if asked.
    5. Get forge, and repeat 4. You can now close minecraft.jar
    6. Run minecraft, and check you get to the main screen ok.
    7. Look in your minecraft folder, you now have a folder called mods. open that.
    8. Get industrialcraft2 from the release thread on this forum, and put the file in your mods folder.
    9. Run minecraft, and if you get no errors (you shouldn't) start a creative world and check the list for industrialcraft items. If you see them, everything worked and you can play!

Ok the first you have to learn about java is GOTO is a forbidden word!

Noted. Like I said, never used java and the closest I've been to programming since my C64 is X3TC's script engine. Meh, everyone makes a mistake. Hopefully only once!

You should use Pseudocode or something that has Functioncalls, if you want to show something for Minecraft. But you explained it right if the code does what i think.

Ok, quick rewrite. The speeds are up for debate (and frankly beyond "speed" I have no idea about their magnitude), but both boats should be tougher than the wooden one.

Just checked the 1.1.0 MCP I have here - that is indeed the case. The exact threshold is when it has a horizontal speed of greater than 0.2. Boat breaking along with the item drops happen in two separate sections of code - one where it takes damage from attacks over a certain threshold and one where it collides when it's travelling faster than 0.2 units. The item drops are specified explicitly in both cases.

Interesting, haven't coded in ages (outside X3TC's script engine, and never java) so I'm a bit rusty on these things, but could something along these lines work?

The MFS has stored energy, however it's not outputting to my MFE at the other end of the string of HV cable (With a MV transformer in between the two of course). Mind you it's been awhile since I've played MineCraft and Industrial Craft for that matter, has there been some sort of change I'm not aware of or is this simply a bug?

Fixed link

Check you're not trying to input the eu on the output face of the MFE.

+1, but maybe the removing of the collision bug is a lot of code ?

That's the main reason for the "drop itself" part. If it's not possible to prevent or control boats breaking, it's more than likely to be simpler to change what drops.

Interesting, this humble idea now has more than 25% of the views that the compendium has. Someone needs to give the compendium flashing lights or something.

How often does lightning occur in your game? For a generator to convert lightning to usable EU, it needs (at least) to:
    1. Recieve a direct hit, or at the very least a strike needs to occur within a very short range. Storms are not particularly common, and a strike close enough to be useful is even rarer still.
    2. Generate enough EU to make building it worthwhile. Ligtning is pretty much instant, you'll most likely get a single tick of generation.
    3. Survive the strike at least long enough to output it's EU.
    4. Not generate so much EU that you win the game in your first storm.
    5. Have a large enough internal storage that it can release the EU at a rate that doesn't insta-melt iron cables/transformers/mfsu you connect to it.

2 and 4 are effectively incompatible, since to create enough EU to make it worth building you would need to have an average output on par with another generator.

Take solar as an example, 1EU/t. Let's be generous and assume that one strike in every 5th storm actually hits close enough to get the job done. Let's also round up and assume we get one storm per 4 real hours. Say your lightningrod generated 10,000 EU/strike. It would need to be struck on average every 500 seconds to generate the same average output as a single solar panel. Lightning is nowhere near this frequent.

So lightning is rarer, lets make it generate more EU/strike? 100k? Needs a strike roughly every 80 minutes, still too frequent. Using the very generous averages, you'd need to generate around 1.4 million EU/strike to average out to 1EU/t over the 20 hours or so until the next strike possibly lands near enough.

Yeah but not the "put it up and increase chance of natural lightning strike"-thingy thats usually around :P

hm not quite a weathermachine as it doesn't really generate weather - it generates targeted short-range lightning bolts

Semantically true, it's a "put it up and increase chance of artificial lightning strike"-thingy instead. The end effect is the same - cause more lightning around the object.

I never heard anyone calling tesla plasma bolts weathermachines :o

Because, while no visual effect is shown, tesla shots are bolts of electricity. If this suggestion was to add a lightning visual to tesla shots, then I'd be in favour. Sadly, it's not, and we've seen way too many suggestions for machines that generate lightning, and others to convert lightning to EU.

aside from fixed minds - what are the complaints against lightning rods?

The ones i've seen:
    set and forget -> well you can do the same here and with nuclear power - for a lower EU yield than if you maintained it
    op or useless -> sounds like nuclear reactors right there to me :D non-maintaining design => low eu/t; better designs with higher eu/t need you to maintain it or build redstone stuff to do so

Not so much fixed minds, more jaded by so many "Hmm, another post about lightning rods. Troll-radar just went into overdrive" posts. It's suggested so frequently that most of us just see someone who registered, checked denied ideas and decided to troll the forum with it. The concept itself isn't fundamentally bad, but it's quite complex so needs reasoned thought about it's effects, how best to implement it, and most importantly it's uses/benefits/drawbacks. If no sensible decision is reached, it joins it's three-toed brethren in the archive.